Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default CAR AUDIO EQUIPMENT SOURCE

Can someone recomend a good on-line source for car audio equipment, I want to put a some what good system in my truck. Also any input on experiance brands of amps, speakers, ect.. is appriciated.
Thanks
Walter

Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Crutchfield is a great online source for all things audio/video. Good prices, great service and their website is a good place to educate yourself. Personally, I'm a big fan of JL Audio speakers and amps. Alpine is the cat's meow for head units.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

JL is a very good brand. Also good is Stillwater Designs (the Kicker parent company) and Memphis Car Audio. The key is having components that are matched to each other.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM

I usually get my car stereo items from here:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

I like Polk Audio for Speakers, Pioneer and Alpine for the stereos and amps.

Here is how I set up my car:
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/in...view.php?id=13

Now ZZ4 Powered!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I second the vote for onlinecarstereo. Cardomain has some pretty good deals as well - got my Image Dynamics subs for about 50% off retail. Crutchfield is great for research, but you pay full retail with them.

As far as brands go, I used to prefer Alpine headunits, but the newer models don't impress me. I've got a Pioneer Premier in the GTO and I like it a lot. I'd recommend MB Quart or Phoenix Gold for speakers, Phoenix Gold makes some nice amps too, and Image Dynamics or JL for subs. This is one of those areas where you'll probably get as many opinions as posts.

Good luck!

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles

Last edited by mwritter; 04-18-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Crutchfield is a great online source for all things audio/video. Good prices, great service and their website is a good place to educate yourself. Personally, I'm a big fan of JL Audio speakers and amps. Alpine is the cat's meow for head units.
Ditto, I have spent a LOT of money with those folks over the past 8 years or so. Always excellent service and decent prices. They even sent me a free subscription for Autoweek magazine........it just showed up in the mail and I had no idea why I was getting it. Then a couple days later a letter from Crutchfield telling me that they provided it to me free for being a loyal customer and that they hoped I would enjoy it. Not many places do things like that today.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-19-2008, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Oh yeah, as far as brands go I have always had luck with Pioneer Premier but I now have Kenwood Excelon headunits in 2 vehicles and love them both. Cant go wrong with either of those in my opinion.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 AM

We just bought an amp and spearkers from Crutchfield. Great experience, very good phone reps, and good products. I second the fact that Polk Audio speakers are fantastic.

When you look for the amp, don't just go for power, look at the specs and make sure the S/N ratio and THD are good (Signal to Noise ratio should be very high, over 95 is good, and the THD should be as low as possible, under 1% is most likely inaudible.)