67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Restoration Hardware Nuts Bolts Etc

Restoring my 68 400 Firebird and would like to repleace nuts and bolts where missing or not correct with the orignal correct hardware. Is there a supplier that carry's this type of correct black phosphate finsh hardware etc.
The suppliers i have seen seem to have listing for Camaors etc but not the Firebird. Example of what i eed include Water pump bolts Exhaust manifold bolts . Backing plate to spindle bolts, Suspension nuts and cotter pins etc.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated .

ps I caled AMK and all they have is a body master kit for the sheet metal.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All the suspension fasteners are available through the Camaro places... they are the same...
The water pump and exhaust manifold bolts should be availble through one of the resto places or just post in the wanted section...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I havent found any that used the same finish and type fasteners
So I redo my own phosphate.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks Guys I will look to order the suspension kit as well a post on the wanted section.
Cammer you mentioned that you do your own phosphate what hardware are you starting with and from where?
Lastly is there any assembly manual for the 67-68 Firebird? Can I use a camaro assembly manual as a replacement

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I collected alot of hardware over the years from dismantling many.
I sort thru it and pick the best to redo.
On another note 25 yrs ago I had a plating shop do some for me
and saved the extras(they said a few bolts were same price as 5 gallon bucketful)
Now all of them are rusting and have never been exposed to weather.
If you want it done right do it yourself.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=marinfr]Restoring my 68 400 Firebird and would like to repleace nuts and bolts where missing or not correct with the orignal correct hardware. Is there a supplier that carry's this type of correct black phosphate finsh hardware etc.
The suppliers i have seen seem to have listing for Camaors etc but not the Firebird. Example of what i eed include Water pump bolts Exhaust manifold bolts . Backing plate to spindle bolts, Suspension nuts and cotter pins etc.

ps I caled AMK and all they have is a body master kit for the sheet metal.[/QUOTE

Please check out Zip products and Paragon ,both CORVETTE SUPPLIERS ,They have an illustrated catalog or did a few years ago.Corvette suppliers have led the way in
correctness for years,because of high point judging.

a69ta@woh.rr.com
Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can buy the liquid Maganese Phosphate and Zinc Phosphate solution from Palmetto Enterprises...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinfr
Restoring my 68 400 Firebird and would like to repleace nuts and bolts where missing or not correct with the orignal correct hardware. Is there a supplier that carry's this type of correct black phosphate finsh hardware etc.

ps I caled AMK and all they have is a body master kit for the sheet metal.
I bought the special stop-bolts for the water pump from AMK, I had to buy a box of 50. I have many spares and can give you some. They are all the same length, I had to cut one down a little for correct length.

I bought the control arm and steering gear bolts from Ricks Camaro since at the time they were the only ones to carry the correct pointed ones. They are still my go-to supplier for the correct hard to find bolts. I had to re-use my backing plate bolts because I never found new ones that were correct. I used the Eastwood black phosphate plating/sealer kit, it worked very well if the hardware was thoroughly sand-blasted (wire brushing did not work well at all - you need a porous surface for the black oxide to coat).

PY has a lot more stuff like this now I see.

1967 Firebird 326 H.O. Conv., M3 floor shift, 3.36:1, Montreaux Blue/Parchment, Dual factory traction bars
2005 IBM GTO M6 - One of 347
1984 Yamaha FJ1100