Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-17-2008, 03:19 AM

Default Inner tie rod and outer tie rod....pls help!

I just finished a complete suspension rebuild on my 69 GTO. Last thing to do is install new tie rods an sleeves. Got the inner and outers form Performance Suspension, they are Federl Mogul parts with different part numbers for the inner and outers but they look completely the same!!!! And since I took all 4 out of their boxes I am not sure which is which. Is there any way to tell????? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Usually the inners have the grease fitting on the end of the casting and the outers have the grease fitting in the metal plate on the bottom directly below the stud and castle nut.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:05 AM

Default Figured it out

Figured it out. Grease fittings are all located in the center, not the ends on the inners like most. Only way to tell is outers have RH threads and inners have LH threads.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you put the ones with the center grease fittin as the inners..the grease fitting will hit the frame....get the correct inner tie rods.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM

Default tie rod grease fittings

Thanks for the info about the zerk fittings, however, I have straight zurks in all places and everything clears the fram just fine. It may be due to the fact that I replaces the centerlink too and it may be just slightly different than the original and thus allows for the clearence.