Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 63 Star Chief

You like nice cars, take a look at this baby. Its on ebay right now.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...m180250468938&

Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car, but I wish they would have left that silly "389-4" decal off the air cleaner when they repainted the engine. Pretty rare to see a '63 with an AM-FM radio.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice indeed!!

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 AM

Very clean,, I got a 63 star,, 4 door but not in that condition..

Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Real nice car, but kind of strange. It must be an early build as it has a 62 style power brake booster. It also has a 64 AM/FM, but it has the resistor on the blower motor, so it could be dealer installed or replaced at one time.

What about the heat control valve on the front of the intake? I thought that was only on A/C cars?

My friend has a friend's 63 Star Chief 4 door sedan at his shop with 19000 miles and a factory AM/FM. It is no way as nice as this one.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Really killer body & interior, which is where the big $ is, but under the hood is sketchy. That master cylinder is dead, & the spray job on the engine calls to question the mechanicals IMO. And the stickers are just pitiful.

Nicely optioned car for sure. Whoever ordered that did a nice job & knew Pontiacs.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Suspended

Wow would that make a cool street sleeper!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, what a GREAT machine! Even if it takes $15k to buy that, you are getting so damn much car for the money!

I didn't know that PMD put the Start Chief 'stars' on BOTH the rear quarter AND the C-pillar...

Regarding the master cylinder, there must have been a lot in inventory for this to get into a '63... you hardly ever even see '62s with that design. As an aside, all of the 'P/B 62s I have seen with this M/C ALSO have the screw-together booster, and this one looks like it's the bayonet-locking style.

...Someone please clarify: is this style M/C the Delco-BENDIX or the Delco-MORAINE? I can never seem to remember...

Last edited by Engine-Ear; 06-06-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added a pic
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
Real nice car, but kind of strange. It must be an early build as it has a 62 style power brake booster. It also has a 64 AM/FM, but it has the resistor on the blower motor, so it could be dealer installed or replaced at one time.

What about the heat control valve on the front of the intake? I thought that was only on A/C cars?
My '63 A/C car does not have that little valve, FWIW.

Not sure about it being an early build, either: without doing any investigation that VIN strikes me as a pretty high number, implying late build.

Lastly - you guys will be glad to know that I DID NOT(!) put any stickers on my air cleaner after I redid it...because of comments like those above.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

interestingly, now there's another '63 SC (this one is a post sedan) with the same M/C & booster type as the above.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Wow, what a GREAT machine! Even if it takes $15k to buy that, you are getting so damn much car for the money!

I didn't know that PMD put the Start Chief 'stars' on BOTH the rear quarter AND the C-pillar...

Regarding the master cylinder, there must have been a lot in inventory for this to get into a '63... you hardly ever even see '62s with that design. As an aside, all of the 'P/B 62s I have seen with this M/C ALSO have the screw-together booster, and this one looks like it's the bayonet-locking style.

...Someone please clarify: is this style M/C the Delco-BENDIX or the Delco-MORAINE? I can never seem to remember...
Matt, the M/C and booster on the Star Chief pictured is the Bendix style...it'll always have that rectangular shaped m/c. Also there's no Delco in the name, Delco and Moraine are two different manufacturers.

The brake set-up in the pic Keith posted in the Delco Moraine unit...easily identified from Bendix by the round shape of the m/c. I've seen both brands used in 63, the moraine seems a bit more numerous.

Paul

Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thumbs up, Paul...thanks!

Moraine = the cylindrical reservoir is what I was thinking.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
My '63 A/C car does not have that little valve, FWIW.

Not sure about it being an early build, either: without doing any investigation that VIN strikes me as a pretty high number, implying late build.

Lastly - you guys will be glad to know that I DID NOT(!) put any stickers on my air cleaner after I redid it...because of comments like those above.

I have had several 63-64 big cars and all the A/C cars had the heat control valve and the non-A/C cars didn't. But actually, all the 63's that I have had did not have A/C. Like I've said before, nothing is written in stone on these cars.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A couple thoughts / comments / questions.

Why would you necessarily be suspect just because a little paint was squirted on the engine---especially just the intake and valve covers? I had big plans to get after my 60 Ventura when I bought it in 2001, but it pretty much looks the same---I got the valve covers sprayed and resealed and some other minor detailing done---but that's about it.

Looks like maybe the anti-stall dashpot isn't connected.

The other 63 SC listed on e-bay only has one set of "stars" ----I doubt if any had more than one set from the factory.

I was under the impression that the majority of forum participants here think that a 4 dr is only worth $4-5K tops. What do you think this is worth realistically?

Car does look gorgeous and has the right color combo IMO.

Poncho60

Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Suspended

And it has the 4 speed hydro!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post

I thought that the stars on the C pillar were from a 1964, but looking at the sedan on ebay, I know that is not correct. Maybe sedans and hardtops got star in different places?? I have never seens 2 sets of stars either. Anyone have a 63 sales brochure? I know that the hubcaps and the radio are 64.
I agree about the master cylinder.
I thought that screw together (Bendix) boosters ended in 60?

Last edited by stevep; 06-07-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a '63 sales brochure but it is at work, so I won't be able to check until Monday....

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith,

Let us know about the stars.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Keith,

Let us know about the stars.
In my 1963 sales brochures all artwork depicting the Star Chief shows three stars on each C pillar, none on the 1/4's.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So now we need to see where the stars were on a 64!