Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 PM

Default '72 Trans Am Seat Belts

I'm looking for information on what the front seat belts (lap and shoulder) should look like in my '72 Trans Am? I've gotten some great advice over at TAC but wanted to see if anyone over here might have some pictures to fully clear things up. The car was built in late '71 so this is pre '72 laws, which changed the configuration, or so I'm told. I do not know whether the car came with standard or deluxe belts (I've heard there's a difference) and that this difference has nothing to do with the standard or deluxe interior option. My car in Lucy Blue and my interior is white, obviously the belt straps themselves will be black but my questions are...

1) What color should the plastic holder which keeps the shoulder strap held up to the headliner be? Is it white or black on a white interior car? Here's a photo from a '71 TA which shows the exact part I'm talking about.

2) Also, would the front seat have the two buckle setup for a car built in late '71? One for the lap belt and the other to hook into the shoulder strap?

Some pics of the whole setup would really be great. I'm going to TA Nats and I'm sure I'll see something there but any help I can get now would be great!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM

Rockcrusher72,

My Nov 71 is nothing like what you show here. Is that like a full shelf above the window? My 71 car has a seperate narrow nylon starp sewn onto the back of the shouldr belt, that is 15" or so in length and about 3/8" wide, sewn on both ends to the belt. it is located centered along the lenght of it and also center in the width of the belt. There Is/was a clear plastic ( I my opinion the worst lasting color,clear as it got brittle with age) clip above the window 2/3 or so of the way back. And another hook the same part as the Shirt hanger hook in the rear seat, is above and near the front of the side window. You take the buckle end and hook it into the clear plastic rear piece, while holding the doubled over back ways belt and take the "fold' in your right hand forward to the front hook. It will not reach however...the small strap sewn into the shoulder strap (this might be a hard shoulder strap to find) creates a loop long enough to reach the front hook and hold the whole works up with slight tension. PITA**, and the 71 you show with the shelf is a a better deal. JMHO. Wish I had a way to get you a picture easily as I don't have any, just sat in the car. Hope this helps...Kirk

PS mine is a dual belt custon interior same color as the car you show...

Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what 300 is talking about.....

Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 PM

Rockcrusher72....Welcome to the forum....You will like it here, lot of info and I have never found any where more early T/A's hang out than right here.....It is great! Welcome! Best reguards Kirk

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 seat belts:

My blue interior 72 looks exactly like the photo you posted. It is also the deluxe interior and was built the last week of March. I would think that the seatbelt holders would be matching color to your headliner. I may be wrong, but would have a tendency to go with matching colors.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Observations:

ALL 70-72 Firebird & T/A front shoulder straps SHOULD resemble Norwoods pictures.
I think the blue plastic sheaves (or whatever we call them) were a 1973 ONLY deal.
They're a good idea & I've retro fitted them myself, before the clear plastic clips were re-popped.
ALL 70-72 front belts used a double female end on each side,for lap belt & shoulder belt & the black plastic buckle holders on each side of the console were a 70-71 thing,NOT 72.

I know there were some late 72 seatbelt style differences,but I don't believe it affected the front shoulder strap placement/support.

What is the build date on your 72 (from cowl tag)?

GUILTY: Is your 72's interior original (to YOUR knowledge) or has it been redone?

Last edited by 2manyT/A'S; 08-12-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 72 has the same belt config as Rockcrusher72's. Mine is a march 72 built car with belt minder and deluxe interior. I always thought in 72 it would have this stye with deluxe interior (could be wrong)

Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Due to new Federal seat belt laws effective 1/1/72 the belts changed from what Norwood has (seperate lap and shoulder buckles) to that Rockcrusher has (a single buckle but seperate belts). The reason for the change was due to a requirement in '72 for a buzzer to sound and a dash light to illuminate whenever the belts were not fastened. The combo buckle was the simplest way to know that both belts could be worn using a single contact switch. I think this was a running change in November or December and may have varied by plant and belt style (ie they ran the 71 style belt until they used up stock).
Rockcrusher, the "shelf" for the shoulder belt would have been the same color as the trim around the upper inside of the window (white in your case?) not the belt color, if they were different.

2many, it has been my hypothesis that the console belt retainers were dropped in '72 because of this impending running change of the belts. It would have been way too difficult to coordinate a console change along with the belt-and-buzzer change so they just dropped the retainers early on.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Just to clarify, the picture I posted is NOT of my setup. That was a photo from a '71 that someone gave me. I was posting it just to show what I was talking about and trying to determine if a 72 would be the same way.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anybody have a drivers side holder, they don't need? Mine is cracked. I think yhat they might be repoed, anybody know who might have them?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
My Observations:

ALL 70-72 Firebird & T/A front shoulder straps SHOULD resemble Norwoods pictures.
I think the blue plastic sheaves (or whatever we call them) were a 1973 ONLY deal.
They're a good idea & I've retro fitted them myself, before the clear plastic clips were re-popped.
ALL 70-72 front belts used a double female end on each side,for lap belt & shoulder belt & the black plastic buckle holders on each side of the console were a 70-71 thing,NOT 72.

I know there were some late 72 seatbelt style differences,but I don't believe it affected the front shoulder strap placement/support.

GUILTY: Is your 72's interior original (to YOUR knowledge) or has it been redone?
From what I recall my build date is late '71, I'm out of town right now and don't have access to the car.

Perhaps the deluxe interior or seat belts came with the plastic sleeves or "belt minders" as NECDB3 says, and the standard option came with the setup that 300 describes and Norwood followed up with pictures of?

From the research I have done I agree with Giles that '72 cars did NOT come with the console belt retainers regardless of if the car was manufactured early or late in the build period.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 seat belts:

My interior is all original and the car was a late March build. It is the deluxe interior too.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I currently have 4 1972's in my possesion (3 with standard trim & 1 deluxe/custom) & NONE of them have the long plastic shoulder belt retainer.

As I recall they are ALL early builds,but will confirm when I remember to check build dates.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
My interior is all original and the car was a late March build. It is the deluxe interior too.
Maybe this started after 1/1/72 when the started to install the 73 style belts with belt minder. Here we both have original late March built cars with it. Both deluxe interior.

Anyone have an original (after 1/1/72 built) with standard interior?

Dave

Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 seat belts:

here are some shots of my retainers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0694.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	139647   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0697.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	139649   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0696.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	139650   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0695.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	139651  

Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
My Observations:

Finally was able to get over to the car and answer your question. My build date is 11B (second week of November '71), if I'm reading my Cowl Tag correctly?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM

My 72 does not have shoulder belts at all. It is a late 71 build. I also do not have a buzzer or a light that I can remember. Is this right.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ALL GM cars came with shoulder belts starting in 68 or 69. I can't remember, but I think 68...someone else will know

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM

The headliner is in one piece with no holes, but it could have been replaced. One more thing to look for.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Jan 72 car with Standard interior has the storage shelves as pictured.

Car has one buckle only. You clip the shouder belt end part to the lap belt end piece to use

I NEED A BUCKLE ONLY TO REPAIR ONE OF MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has one, the 72 only style (71 different / 73 different), I just need the buckle only to repair mine, so if you have a ratty set of belts, I would really appreciate.