Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear Slicks Question

Dusted off an old friend the other day and have decided to venture to the track with the ol gal and see what we can do to get asked to veiw the rest of the evening from the stands I suppose.

65 GTO
.030 455 (9:6:1)
250 cfm "96" D-ports
66 3x2 setup
236/244 cam, 108 lobe sep, 1.5 crower rockers
T400, Precision Ind. converter
3.73 gear
full bodied car, full interior,

Last time I went out managed consistent 12.70's @ 112, starting line traction was not shall we say good. M&H 10" cheater slicks. Boxed upper and lower arms and stop hop bars, factory sway bar. Need to change this up some and possibly move to adjustable uppers? 60 ft times were terrible despite the tires being hot.

Gonna pull the gloves off a bit and see what happens.

What size slicks do you guys recommend and more to the point, what compound??? I have not yet super seriously fine tooth combed this deal like I'd like and feel there is more there, I know there is probably a full second being left on the table here due to suspension and tires.
Money is as tight here as it is anywhere else, so I'd only like to buy one set of slicks. Doing some scientific out loud thinking.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you considered drag radials?
Does it get street driven?

That mph says 11.80's or better.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loss of traction at the line is where most time is lost. Guys will chase all kinds of engine mods and changes and keep running regular street tires. Slicks will make a huge difference and is some of YOUR BEST money spent.

D5 is a very soft compound and hooks awesome. Usually recommended for lighter cars but my car with me is 3,250. That is where I would start.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys,

Yes it gets street driven almost exclusively and if I understood the rules, i think anything under 11.50 means a mandatory roll cage. Which really wouldn't be a bad idea anyway...but wanna keep it looking almost all stock.

Does anyone know just how big you can go with the stock rear wheelwell on a pair of slicks and what backspacing I'd be looking at? The M&H's ARE radials, they just released them back in the summer. I'm gonna try a fresh set of slicks before I call it a day though. Like to see just how razor sharp I can get it before I make a full pass and the tech guy shows me the exit gate and the way to spectate from the stands.

Was thinking in terms of say a 9 x 28 x 15???? Anyone know if a 10" will fit???

Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tuned
Was thinking in terms of say a 9 x 28 x 15???? Anyone know if a 10" will fit???
I figured if you got the 10" M&H "cheater" slicks to fit (not an easy deal on a '65 either),,,that means you should be able to fit most any common 28" x 10.5"/15" slicks on it seeing as most those M&H 10" tires have fairly wide section widths as well...

The 28" x 9"/15" should almost certainly fit in my experience,bigger than that falls into the "it depends" catagory often.

If you can get a 28"x10.5"/15" on there,I would use the MT stiff sidewall ET drag slicks myself,these are #3055S.

I would measure what you got on there now,and take a good look at how much room you have before going much further with this though.

Pretty sure this has been discussed here in the past,a search should pull some of that info up.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 10's that are there now depending on what the air isin them, very damn near touch the wheel well lip. They are not 28 inches tall though. So you're right. That also doesn't account for the fact that the frontend is stiff as a brick and needs to be re-adressed too( global west front arms and stiff springs and 1 1/4 sway bar that needs to be put against the garage wall for awhile) . Definitely needs loosening up a bit. Someone told me they had seen one with 10 inch slicks on it but they didn't remember what height etc, and I knew how tight the cheaters I had were so I wasn't too sure about that one.Thanks again guys.