Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default stumbling off the line. . . 2bbl woes again!

ok for a refresher i just rebuilt my 2bbl in my 76 Firebird. Now it runs strong when your moving and accelerating. However when you let off and then get on it a second later it hesitates for a second. Looking at my Haynes manual, it said that this sounds like a malfunctioning EGR valve. Also, is this the same problem as when i pull up to a stop and am turning right but let off to check for cars then go to pull out it hesitates? same thing?

Thanks in advance for any help! i need it im heading out on the 1st!

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"
Old 12-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check for accelerator pump action.
Two steady streems of fuel into the venturies when throttle is opened.

Did the accpump check balls get into the right location at the rebuild, small aluminium one into the accpump well and the bigger steel one under the cluster?
Missing checkballs will let air into the accpump circuit, causing hesitation in the situations described.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Chief

well i know for a fact that you can see gas shoot into the venturies. However i did not replace the balls when i rebuilt it but they are still in there. Should i have replaced them? i do have new balls though. BALLS lol

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

jack remember that screw you tightened all the way up, it was not that way from the factory jthat was not a bowl drain screw it affects the low speed circuit in your carberator, put it back like it was and fix that leak, jb weld a damb gum wrapper or something over that hole and be done with it! or not and keep dicking with everything else till jyou get it where it wont run at all your choice!