Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Starting a car in storage

I store my car from Oct. to Apr. in Cleveland Ohio. Good or bad to start the car periodically? Should I wait for warmer (above 32 degrees) days or does it matter? How long should it run? Thanks in advance. Al

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If time & conditions allow, I would start it at least once a month & let it run for half an hour or so. This will allow time to come up to temp & keep everything lubricated & charged. I know some people that start theirs every week.

POCI.org
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

iv been told not to run it till you will drive it.initial startup causes moisture and it stays unless driven.
i know it will kill an exhaust on a bike

Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As long as the battery has been removed for warm storage, I don't see any need to start an engine during a six month layover. One 'dry start' at the end of the winter won't do any more (probably less) harm, than 6-8 in between. The oil is going to drain down the same amount in a few weeks time, anyway. IMO
You can always disable the ignition and crank it till you have oil pressure, if you are concerned about that. If it has a carburetor, trickle some Marvel Mystry Oil down the intake, in addition.
Getting the fuel system recharged is no problem either. Use a tiny funnel to pour gas into the bowl vent, and fill up the bowl. The engine will start readily, and run long enough to draw fuel from the tank to the fuel pump.

I am not versed on how frequently high (psi) performance valve springs should be operated.
Stock springs, should not be an issue for just six months.

Now, if you are concerned about mice getting into it, that's a different story.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 01-10-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: add punctuation
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the time I get to my car again, it will have been sitting for 6 months. Im not worried about it.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 AM

I've been storing my car during the winter for a few years now. I store it at the end of October and pull it out around the middle of April. The battery sits on a "Battery Tender".
When I put it into storage I change the oil with a straight 10 weight, Add Stabil and fill up the tank, a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda inside the car. I also had the tires filled with nitrogen when they were installed.

When I pull it out I change the oil to the regular 10W-40 and start it up. I generally drive it around for at least an hour with some highway driving as well.
Have never had a problem with anything.

As for starting the car periodically, I have heard that it can cause problems. If you don't run it long enough it can build up moisture from condensation. As the engine runs you get deposits in the oil. With the short running or driving time these deposits can become acidic with moisture and cause damage to bearings surfaces when the vehicle sits. Some recomend driving the car rather than letting it sit at idle as it exercises (warms up) all the fluids which aids in removing all the moisture from the entire drivetrain and not just the engine.

Now ZZ4 Powered!