Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default manual tire changers,anybody use/own one

I'm looking at buying a tire changer,something like this maybe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...1%7C240%3A1318
After spending $$ to have a shop do them all the time,I figure it would pay for itself the first time I use it. (I own 6 cars/trucks). Problem is I don't know anybody that has one of these,so are these junk? Just need something to break the bead and hold the rim still so I can get the tire off the rim.
Any input would be great. Thanks!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have one that I change over my slicks each season with. They work good for breaking the bead, but pretty tough to change a tire. It does work though. I also bought a bubble balancer through Harbor Freight that works well. For me I was having trouble finding tire places who you can trust to remove the 32 tire screws, change the tires, re-install the tire screws(if they didn't loose any) then balance the wheels.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Ron.
I know what you mean about who to trust. After having a few rims bent by incompetent shops,I'd prefer to do it myself anyway. Plus I'm a cheap arse. I just spent $48 the other day to have a set of Craigslist tires put on the wifes car and ditto on my car 2 months ago,I figure I'll look into a manual one for myself. Old Coates machines have not been selling for less than $400 around here,so it looks like my only option right now.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
I'm looking at buying a tire changer,something like this maybe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...1%7C240%3A1318
After spending $$ to have a shop do them all the time,I figure it would pay for itself the first time I use it. (I own 6 cars/trucks). Problem is I don't know anybody that has one of these,so are these junk? Just need something to break the bead and hold the rim still so I can get the tire off the rim.
Any input would be great. Thanks!
That unit is only $49 normal price at Harbor Freight. Might save you a few $$. There is one in West Allis. The E-bay one = $80 after shipping.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good topic; thanks for posting, Drake.

For me, it's not only the quantity of tires (6 cars plus the trailer) but its the "time" aspect: I have to run the tire up to the Goodyear store, drop it off and then pick it up at lunchtime the next day. This would allow me to do it during the evening at my convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Genovese View Post
For me I was having trouble finding tire places who you can trust to remove the 32 tire screws, change the tires, re-install the tire screws(if they didn't loose any) then balance the wheels.
Plus - getting the "baby powder" on the tubes just right!

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

you fellas are pretty hardcore!!! i usually do most all the grunt work myself, but never the tire aspect

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Too bad there wasn't a demonstration video available that showed someone with average muscle using it. I'd consider getting one myself, if I knew it didn't take alot of arm strength to use.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

UFO,yes,I saw the one harbor freight has for sale,that is where I would go,I just happened to be on E-bay when I posted this,so I used that link. I think the HF one looks pretty much the same.
Performer,I'm not hardcore,just cheap! And like Keith mentioned,I could do this at my convenience. I've been slamming plugs in my own tires for years now. Seems like someone here is always picking up a nail or screw,but for a bigger tear or hole in the tread I like to use a patch,which means the tire has to come off the rim. This aspect alone would save me about $75 a year,no kidding! It seems I'm always messing with tires in some way. Thats why I posted above that if I could find an old working Coats machine (for cheap!),I'd snap it up.
Lightfoot,I agree,I would like to see someone remove an old tire that has been on a rim for years,and see how easy the bead breaks,and how easy a new tire goes on. Getting the bead to seat to the rim can be a trick,but I do always get them,helps to have 2 people!
Thanks for the input guys.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM

I used to own a manual tire changer very similar to the one in the link mine was made by Coats and it worked really good. The bead breaker worked great but the dismount portion was a pain with low profile tires, was ok with standrad tires.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM

I've got one of the Harbor Freight tire changers, for what it costs I can't complain. You have to bolt it down to use it, but I've found using it really pretty easy, breaking the bead on an old tire can be a bit challenging sometimes, but mounting and dismounting is simple and quick. The bar that comes with it is pretty long so you can get alot of leverage on it. I'd say buy on, it'll pay for itself pretty quickly, I know mine has.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look around at some of the older service stations (or one going out of business) for an older Coates manual changer. You won't be sorry. We have been using one for about 40 years (steel wheels, mags, radials, slicks, whatever).

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah,about 3 days after I started this thread I did find an old Coats 10/10 on Craigslist for $200,but was gone by the time I called. So I still am looking.If I don't find one the manual kind is what I'll buy.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the Harbor Freight manual tire mounter. It's not bad to use. Mounting it SECURELY to the floor is imperative. Other than that, it's pretty easy to mount and dismount tires.
Use plenty of dish soap on the beads for lubricant.