Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default need help on a 89 blazer 4.3

i have an 89 blazer with the 4.3. it has a tick that is driving me nuts. i thought it was the timing chain and changed that and the lifters it is still there. it is a tick and doesnt sound like a rod knock. if i put it in gear and power brake a little i cant hear the tick. at idle i hear it pretty good. the oil pressure is 25-30 at idle. any ideas?
thanks bryan

Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Lifter?

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Suspended

cracked manifold or exaust leak ....

Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Cam. you said you changed the lifters.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Might be a crack in the flex plate?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scites View Post
Might be a crack in the flex plate?
I thought of that also.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 AM

I believe some of those had sloppy rod/ wrist pin fit. I used to work at a Chev. dealership

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 4.3

thanks for the replies, the lifters are new, the flexplate is also new, it had a spot where the teeth were missing and it wouldnt engage the starter, i dont think its an exhaust leak, cam is a possibility. wrist pin hmmm. i forgot to mention that it is sporatic. sometimes when i start it it doesnt make the noise even at idle. but once it starts it stays. would wrist pin or cam fit this pattern?
thanks bryan

Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Seems like I remember another issue of pistons being undersize. Can't really remember, it's been quite a few years

Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried boloney View Post
Seems like I remember another issue of pistons being undersize. Can't really remember, it's been quite a few years
Your right. But also the fuel lines run up the trans tunnel and make a loud ticking noise. I remember when they first started putting the 4.3 in them we had sold one new and the customer brought it back complaining about the ticking noise. That is just a carrieristic of the beast. How long have you owned this blazer? Did this noise just start or has it always been there? The reason I ask that is you may have disturbed the fuel lines while working on the engine.

06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great engine but hey it's an 89. Rather than buying a bunch of parts chasing some little noise that won't go away, buy a louder radio and drive it til it dies!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM

I've also seen Idler pulleys make this type of noise. They normally don't come and go tho.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried boloney View Post
I believe some of those had sloppy rod/ wrist pin fit. I used to work at a Chev. dealership
Did they teach you that when you change the lifters you change the cam also? They do go hand on hand right?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From the new parts you installed, sounds like your removed the engine or trans (flexplate replacement)?

I recall the exhaust pipe to manifold donut sealing being a bear to seat from time to time. Used to take a brass drift against the flange and hit it with a hammer to seat the donut.

Depending on how warm or cold it is when you start it, the noise will vary.

If you wanted to check for an exhaust leak quick, drop a couple of splashes of trans fluid down the throttle body while it is idling. The smoke will come out the areas where it is leaking.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 4.3 noise

i checked again to be sure its not an exhaust leak, its not. i ran it without the belt and it still makes the noise. i know i should be slapped for not changing the cam at the time i changed the lifters but i thought one was not pumping up or something like that.they have rollers on them and there was not any visible wear. at one time this was my fathers blazer and he had a new shortblock installed. i think it has about 50-60 k on the shortblock. im thinking about the wrist pin or piston slap. oh the stereo turned up does work well... i think ill wait untill whatever it is breaks
thanks bryan