67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Clutch return spring & bracket

Hello, Does anybody know where the clutch return spring is suppose to go. I bought the bracket that mounts behind the steering box on the frame and the spring that goes with it. According to the drawing it goes from the bracket to the clutch fork hole where the anti rattle spring also attachs. It works there but it seems like a long stretch. (67 V8 bird)
Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a stretch, don't know why however. I've also found that that bracket isn't strong enough

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bracket will flex
I think those used a spring extension,or maybe Im thinking of the Sprints.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 AM

According to the drawing that extension rod is for the six cyl. The bracket did seem to kind of bend when I hooked up the spring. Thats why I was wondering if I had it in the right spot.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM

I recall reading somewhere recently that the extension rod needed to be 'cut' for use on a V8. I thought about trying that since I do have the frame mounted bracket that I purchased, but couldn't figure out a good way to make it work.

I bolted an old plug wire separator bracket to my front header bolt, and run the longer rod to that. Works well, a bit squeaky sometimes where it rubs my header, but that's what the Big Block Chevy guys do with headers. I've seen some guys run a hose clamp around a header tube also.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 AM

I think you might be correct about the extension rod. I looked in my 67 service manual and it shows the spring and extension. The only difference between 6 & 8 cyl according to the drawing is the rod between the fork and Z-bar. Nobody seems to offer the V8 extension so I guess I'm on my own. I am going to fire up the welder and reinforce that bracket with some triangular gussets to make it stronger and try to find a spring that will work better. The hardware stores seem to have a pretty good selection.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

post some pics when you get it figured out.

Thois drove me nuts on my car and I ended up making a braket myself seemed like the worst designed POS I had ever seen so I didnt use it but maybe I was messing it up.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:31 PM

I bought an extention rod for the 6 cyl removed abut 8" and welded it back together. The extention should be about 4" long (appox.) It works fine and looks close to original. The bracket should NOT bend when the clutch is activated. You just need enough tension on the spring to hold the t/o bearing lightly to the plate. The spring should be under just the slightest tension when at rest. (My left foot doesnt get tired in traffic!)

Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Can anyone tell me offhand or have a pic showing how the bracket bolts to the frame? Are there existing holes in the frame? I bought the bracket, and have the rod, but haven't yet tried to bolt the bracket to the frame. Where is it in relation to the steering gear?

Thanks for confirming what I thought I read Tripower!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM

The bracket goes directly behind the steering box on the frame. There is a line clip there and the bracket goes under the clip. I also used the 6cyl extension rod and cut it down to about 4" but just bent a new loop on it per the 67 service manual drawing. I used the stock spring that everybody sells. I reinforced the bracket by welding a triangular gusset to the top of the bracket-probably not necessary but I thought it was kind of wimpy. Works great and looks correct. It seems funny that everone sells the 6cyl ext rod but not the V8. How hard can this be to make?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 PM

This is a 69 Trans Am if its the same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2113.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	167834