67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Transmission Dip Stick Question?

Hello friends, I have a question or problem. I swaped out the 2 speed automatick in my 68 Firebird HT, for a rebuilt BOP 350. But, because the transmission dip stick location is not the same on how it secures to the firewall. I've had problems getting the tube to lock down and seal. So, anyone who has done this swap and had to deal with the trans dip stick please let me know how you secured it to the car.

BY the way, the shop who installed the new trans used an aftermarket later tube and stck. The kind of stick that locks down at the top from a later kind of car. Anyway, now the stick wont budge to com up and out. The rubber seal if free but it feels like the stick is jamed or caught on something inside the trans. Again, anyone have an idea what it may be caught on? Thank you friends, and good day.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Dont mount it to the firewall! That wouldnt be good. LOL I think the 350 tube mounted to the transmission mounting bolt. 69's used TH350's from the factory so I'd suggest finding a tude for that application.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I swaped my 2 speed out for the th400 I found out the dipstick tube was unique to the 400 cars. It took a long time to find the correct one. I can't tell you if the same holds true for the th350 or not. Lokar makes a nice aftermarket unit that many people use.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Tripowergoat66 is correct about the dip stick tube, it has a tab that is attached to one of the bellhousing bolts. I would find an original tube and stick to use. Any turbo 350 transmission up through the 70's should work, just make sure to get the tube and dip stick from the same car as there were different lengths. I may have one if you need it.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you friends, I will try looking for the correct tube. However, I'm still not sure why the after-market one the trans shop installed will not budge to remove it. Either the tube, or the dip stick. Any ideas on what may have happen if the shop used the wrong one for the application? Thank you again.

Mike