Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Question 68 GTO Ideas

My 7 year old son has been asking me to finish the 68 gto. its about 90% done. I was going to purchase the last things that I need. Since money is tight I was wanting some input about the things I was going to purchase. If anyone has used the following items please let me know what you think. Repo steel hood, wiring harness from American Auto wire, and a A/C unit from vintage air. I was going to by a summit aluminum radiator but wasn't sure what size would work. My car has a automatic trans. Any help would be great.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Hi,

The below ebay auction is for a 72 or greater pontiac. But checkout the sellers other auctions to see if he has one for a 68. These rads look like great quality pieces for a great price.

Good luck...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am building a 69 gto,am in the process of wiring it and installing Vintage Air AC.Also installed a Summit radiator,it fit perfectly inside the shroud.My harness is from Keepitclean wiring,but they are all pretty similar,Iwould imagine(have also used a harness from EZwire)If you want to minimize splicing,you will need to get some Packard 56 terminals and the crimper,then you can make your harness "plug and play"using the existing plastic plugs.Most of the harnesses use 14 guage wire for most circuits.If your 68 has a printed circuit board(my 69 does)you will have to pigtail it and solder on the proper wires form the harness(no big deal)Get a schematic for your car,its not hard to do,just time consuming.Vintage Air:Looks like real quality stuff.Had to make one bracket to mount controls in dash(easy)looks factory.I ordered a 69 chevelle kit.They are really helpful at Vintage.Had to modify my ducts a little,am using std defrost and center ducts with slight mods.Side ducts will take a little more work,just haven't done it yet.Will lose a little bit of my glove compartment.PM me with your phone# if you need more info.good luck.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 PM

I have sold the hood in the past and never heard anything bad about it.. fenders... well that is another story..

A well maintained cooling system will not need anything but the reg. 4 core rad. from Pontiac.

Are you talking about a wiring harness that was made for the 68 GTO? or just a basic kit?
I have heard nothing bad about any wiring harness from American Auto Wire "Factory Fit"
Stuff matches the original stuff very nicely.

Vintage air has been around for ever.... never used it, and from what I remember all their kits are for Camaros or Chevelles... what about the rest of the A-bodies? I'm sure you can
make it work...

Yeah my 16 year is begging for me to get my 68 done also....

Old 05-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a repop hood. Its ok.. There is a difference in the middle of the hood between the scoops. repop is lower and the line in middle is not as sharp. but fit was great.

Wiring can't go wrong with M&H, used the whole kit headlight to tail lights not one issue. lots of write ups abut them, Plug and Play.

I am ordering a new aluminium this week (cost affective) 2 row on ebay for like $159. and will cool and flow better than a 4 row copper rad.

Just my .02
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1235.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	170093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	170094