Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Default alternator for 69 GTO

Ok, I have a 69 GTO with bone stock appearing Ram Air 3 motor.
On the car I have a high powered stereo, and Air Ride.
I'm looking for a stock appearing, but high output alternator.
Any ideas where to look? or what supplier has what I'm looking for?
I'm tired of always being dead after the slow drain while driving.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why stock looking? you have a kickbutt stereo and air ride.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

10SI and 12SI internally regulated alternators 'look' a whole lot like your externally regulated alternator. Converting to internally regulated is very simple and the 12SI models are availible with nearly 100 amp rating.

How many amps your car uses is what you should go by picking out an alternator.
None of the alternators that 'look' like they belong on your car put out a lot of amps at idle. A smaller pulley on the alternator will help with that alot.

PM stellar that posted earlier and see what he recommends. He may have just what you're looking for.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

105 amp 10DN alternator for external regulator. I found one if that is what you need. It is in the same type of case as the 1100704 and 1100700. The high amp internal alts are easy to come by if that is what you need. This 105 amp alt is made for that output. It is not a stock unit converted to high amp. The parts are all heavy duty and the alt weighs about a pound more than a stock unit due to the heavy duty parts. If you are interested in it let me know Mark

Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 AM

yes I'm interested. I will PM you in the morning.
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was gone for a bit
Thanks
Kurt

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 105 amp alt was made by a company called Lestek Inc. It is rated as 14 volt 105amp HD Model# 9135M It is marine certified, but there is nothing to make it different than a stock alt like screens or anything. I think it was for diesel applications. The difference in this alt is heavy duty diodes, custom wound stator and custom wound rotor. Here is the rub. Lestek is no longer in business. Calls are being taken by another company that must have bought them out. This unit or parts for it are no longer available thru the new company. However all parts except stator and rotor are reddily avaliable thru other sources. The rotor and stator can be rewound should they ever fail.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never had a rotor or stator fail..........except 2 weeks ago when the CS144 in my Eldo stopped working. Turns out one of the wires from the slip ring to the rotor winding broke. i resoldered it and am back in business. Bearings and brushes still ok. It's a shame those CS144's rated at 140 A only last 196K miles B4 they need repair

george

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The CS144 140 amp is a beast. There is a 200 amp stator you can drop in them and they don't miss a beat even at the low RPM. Be carefull of the 120 amp CS144. Not as good. Lots of bad stators and rotors on them.