Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default THM 400 Kickdown

All,

70 GTO with a thm400

The car has had the harness replaced with a painless one and there is no kickdown, Everything else on the cars works but these wires were not run. I'm not much on electrical things but I want a kickdown. How do i wire one of these?

I think one side of the switch goes to ground but I don't know where the other should go?

Type answers slow...small words...

Stu

Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use any switched hot wire for power. Usually the black wire with yellow stripe that goes to the wiper motor is a good switched source.

Hook up a switched hot wire to one terminal on the passing gear switch, and run another wire from the other terminal on the passing gear switch to the plug-in on the transmision.

The passing gear switch just turns power on to the solenoid in the transmission.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

your gto should have a kickdown switch just above the gas pedal? The pedal linkage hits the slider and makes electrical contact at about 3/4 throttle. The slider is a self adjusting deal when you click it all the way out then push back in. It adjusts the same way as the TV adjustment on a TH350 at the carb linkage if you've ever had one of those.
I think even original 4sp cars had the 2 wires for the kickdown in the loom just not used. Look for those wires above gas pedal. A kickdown switch is just a switch between a 12v source (when car is running) and the solenoid on the side of the trans.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe too late now but yesterday another post had this excellent pic of the kickdown I mentioned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th400 kickdown.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	172301