The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default My Restoration

I hope this is the right section of the forum for this.

Since about 2003, I've been sort of a ghost haunting this forum, dissapearing for years at a time. My restoration has been on again, off again as family and finances have caused innumerable delays. At some points, I have even given up and looked at selling the whole thing but my wife has convinced me to persist. It's a story of blood, sweat, tears, mistakes, accomplishments, anger, fustration, exaltation, persistence, and hopefully, one day; victory.

Now the kids are older I have more time. I cashed out an IRA and put the money in a seperate account that serves no other purpose then to provide financial horsepower for this project (me and my wife talked about this at length). I figure when I get old I'll just be that guy at the door to Wal-Mart handing out stickers but at least I'll have some memories. Besides, 6,000$ wasnt much of a retirement anyhow, but I should hope it is enough to get the car together. Yes, I know its not enough for paint/pro body work, but driving primer grey is better then nothing.

Bear in mind that there *has been progress before this 6K: the engine is fresh for example. See it 'wake up' from 2003 for the first time here, a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--jQu5qnow - my neighbor is operating the carb, but we have a fuel pump problem. Still, a glorious sound with no mufflers.

Also, I've already taken care of the floor, cross brace, lower cowl problems and firewall-frame mounts. Additionally, the frame mounts were fixed in...2005 I believe. I just had to learn to gas weld before hand.

Btw, everything I know or do, is all me and I am not a pro. There is no outside help, assistance, ect beside what I glean from the web (usually here). Therefore my welds might not look great depending on the day, mistakes have been made and more to come I have no doubt. Before this, I was a shadetree mechanic which explains why the engine was done so early- I rebuilt it.

This is a resto-mod btw. So, without further ado, here are the links to the albums on Facebook (I love their album utility). Hopefully they will work for you but FB says "use to share with anyone". Because none of my friends/family are into cars, the pics have a lot of explaination because they are interested but might not know what they are looking at. Honestly, I thought they couldnt care less, but at every gathering I hear "Got any more pics of your car project?"

Here is the first group which I call the past; the time when the project started and stopped. I have more pics to add and will get to it eventually:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=45236ab2ef

Next is the renewed effort. Pics will be added continuously.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=f2e9257c31

Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL - I almost forgot: this is a 1969 GTO, YS 400, 400THM.

-J

Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

I checked out all your pictures. You are doing a nice job. I can see you are after every little piece of rust. You are doing it right getting rid of the rust. Keep it up. I like the notes with each picture too. Keep it going.
Paul

Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for your words. I'll periodically bump the thread when their are new pics. Like I said before, I really like the way Facebook auto-resizes the pics and then loads them into a template where you can add captions and click save. It makes this stuff really fast and easy.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job so far, and good luck with the rest!

I also use the FB photo albums, they are nice.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Great job so far Dude. Like you I am learning how to mig weld as I go along the repairs of my goat too, so I feel your learning curve pains. I did not have as much rust as you but still many repairs were needed since it was a vinyl top car and we all know what happens to those cars over time. Anyways, keep up the good work. I never thought of using facebook to document my restoration.
Brian

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the support.

Btw webfoot, I have been quietly following your resto as well. Keep up the good work too!

-mike

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quick update. Sorry, no pics because the kids burned up the batteries in the digi-camera. I'll get some more soon!

I was on vacation in OC, MD since last Weds, but we came back on Sat. so I got some time in after "chores". I cut off the paper-thin flange of the crossbrace where it meets the inner-wheel house and welded on a new one. After that, I welded in the patch I made for this area with a nice delay while a storm cloud rolled through kicking up some wind. This, of course, makes MIG welding outside impossible, so I got out the grinder and completely smoothed out the pass. door jamb area where I had a cross brace welded in. It was a small item off the TODO list that I could do while waiting.

After getting the patch done, including the spot welds to the cross brace, I followed PaulatFast's advice and re-arranged the supports for the body. I wanted to get that patch done first because it ties the inner wheel well to the cross brace and I thought it would help with maintaining structural integrity. I lifted it from the trunk hinge braces as I had done before using a "Come-along". After I sat it down on the rockers, I left the come-along attached with a little slack in the chains for safety.

During all this, I got out the Inner wheel house patch from our host and looked at it again. I just don't follow how this is supposed to fit. It looks like the flange that is supposed to weld to the outer wheel house is not even close to the proper angle. Anyone have any advice here?

-J

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of new pics on page 4. Enjoy!

-J

Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

New pics and detail on page 5, covering the trunk floor repair in progress. Enjoy!

-Judas

Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the pictures.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
- my neighbor is operating the carb, but we have a fuel pump problem.
Looks like he almost lost his eyebrows right at the end of that video

Old 08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your not alone, I have been putting my together for 15 years. Great job so far.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the support!

Abe: Yeah, he almost did. It must have been a momentary lapse of reason- playing with the timing is not going to help a fuel loss stall!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

***bump***

New pics spanning pages 5-6 covering the installation of the driver's side trunk floor.

A curse to all you restorers showing the trunk out in one pic then the new one installed in the next! :P

I was thinking "this will be easy" because of the easy access and room to work. It must have taken me 15-18 hours to get everything done between trimming, fitment, lots and lots of measuring, painting, drilling holes/installing bolts to pull everything together and finally: welding.

Well, that part is finally done! Next up is the ultimate challenge for me: fabricating the tailpanel. Not completely mind you, but it will be a very big patch with the tail-light cutout on this side.

Let the games begin!!

Last edited by Judas; 09-22-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: forgot to add link.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 PM

good job on the car. don't worry, we all go thru this. just keep moving forward, no matter how slow. my car was my hs car. parked in '89. started to work on '99, only to have to stop a few months after when getting ready to have 1st kid. i didn't get far, other than stip car. that was a bad move. restarted in '06 and just finished this year in aug. my car was a total loss, but since it was my first, i reworked anyway. not worth anything now, but suprised how my old hs friends have seen and commented on the memories it brought back. just so you know what i had to do, new 1/4's on both sides, new rockers on both sides. new floors. 1 different door, 1 new door skin, 2 different fenders, and under back seat area all made new since you cant get. along with motor and rear and trans.
just hoping it gives you hope to continue.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/a...&id=1424416247

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/v...=1098229222323

#16 heads
3.73 rear
th-400
Old 09-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the support! I can't wait to get a look at your car tonight. My work blocks facebook (and most everything else) so I'll have to give it a look later.

I have a lot more hope these days. Before, I always had this overhanging feeling of futility because while I might fix one thing, I knew that I really didnt have money for any other parts. I believe there was a span of like 2 years where I bought 1 part per year. For example, I had the drivers trunk floor in the shed for like 5 years. There was nothing actually stopping me from installing it, but I always thought "why bother? I can't do anything with the passenger side quarter...or the tailpanel...or the brakes...or exhaust"

Now that I have the money tucked away and parts in the pipeline (c'mon Carlisle!) it is totally different. I want to work on it to get a task done so I can get to the next task. At Carlisle, I'll be picking up the pass quarter skin, the pass. trunk floor + brace, the filler panel and a Pypes Exhaust. Im really pschyed because...and I can hardly believe I am saying this...these are the last pieces of sheetmetal I should need!

I think that the most important thing I would tell someone considering a restoration is "Have a lot of money stockpiled. Estimate how much you think the repairs are then triple it."

Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

*bump*

Pages 6-7: "To Fabricate a Tailpanel"; Part 1.

(I fixed the link too. Sorry for the confusion!)

-J

Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To Fabricate a Tailpanel Pt 2, plus goodies from Carlisle (from our host PY!)

I now have all the sheetmetal I should need to finish the project!!

-J

Last edited by Judas; 10-12-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Senior Chief

looks good. when i took my 69 gp to get a price on a paint job and was quoted 6-8 grand i decided to go to lowes and by a compressor along with a gun from eastwood and try it myself and it came out great.keep asking questions and read up,you'll be fine