Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default starter alignment

is there a alignment procedure for mounting the starter? My car makes a weird high pitch noise when I hit the switch to start. seems like it lasts while the starter is turning the flywheel then of course stops once key is released and motor is running. I have two shims in place as it was when I got the car. 350 motor, th400.

some one said today that it sounds like the starter gear is grinding on the flywheel till it makes good contact with flywheel teeth. not sure if I agree. need to look under car at teeth to see if there any tell tale signs of grinding.

I just thought it was the sound of this particular car starting. kind of annoying sound, almost like a winding.

any thoughts? \

chris

Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How to shim starter

http://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20175

See if this link will work for you.You may have to copy and paste the link.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
A rule of thumb for installing a new or replacement starter is to have a gap the diameter of a paper clip between the bottom of the flywheel gear tooth cut and the tip of the gear on the starter bendix. You may have to put a cut spacer under one bolt that holds the starter on and not both to achieve this clearance.
Mike

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks, I have to crawl under there and do some measureing