Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Default 1975 Formula Project:

Big projects are always the most daunting. They can also the most rewarding, but doing the job right takes a lot of free time and what do you do when you have little, if any spare time to devote to the project???

As many of you know, I have struggled with what to do with my 1975 Formula for quite some time now. While I really like the car, I have been hesitant to jump into another big project. Recently, I tried selling it, only to discover there isn't any market for a 66,000 mile Formula 350. Today I spent a little time out in the garage just looking at the car and all the parts. It was then that I realized that somehow, even if it seems impossible at the moment, I have to complete this project. I thought that if I created a post in the forum that I could use to document my progress, I might find a little inspiration along the way and the encouragement necessary to keep moving forward.

The car is a survivor and is 100% rust free. However, as with any 34 year old car, it needs a lot of work. I have boxes and boxes of new parts, so little, if any money will need to be spent. I have long been wanting to install one of my custom ground .466"/.467" - 270°/276° @ .006" - 220°/226° @ .050" -111.5° LSA camshafts and ported/polished '092' heads on the otherwise stock 350, but that's tough to do with the engine in the car. Since I have all the parts needed for the swap, I thought it might be fun to see what I can wring out of a 9.55:1 SCR 350 Pontiac while I finish my 412 at my leisure.

The part that I chose to start with was detailing the engine compartment, firewall, sub frame and completely rebuilding the front suspension. To make this as easy as possible, I decided to remove all the front sheet metal. We found no hidden damage/reapirs and no rust whatsoever in the lower sections of the cowling. We did, however, have to endure a lot of the sticky, gummy Ziebart rustproofing which made everything very nasty indeed. But, it sure beats rust!!!!

My son Marc and I got started this afternoon with a just a couple of ratchets and started removing all the rusty bolts panels. It took us just a few hours to strip all the front sheet metal by hand. We were both surprised to find the front bumper assembly weighed over 100 pounds!!!! I am considering drilling a series of 2.00" lightning holes in the steel framework to reduce the weight, perhaps even building my own from aluminum instead.

Here are the photos from today's effort. No doubt the progress will be painfully slow now that I only have 2 days off per week, but...hopefully, documenting my progress in the forum will prove to be encouraging.

More to come...Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula Before.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	186067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marc Assists.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	186068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grille and Bumper Removed.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	186069   Click image for larger version

Name:	100 Pound Front Bumper.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	186070   Click image for larger version

Name:	LF Fender Removed.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	186071  

Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Big projects are always the most daunting. They can also the most rewarding, but doing the job right takes a lot of free time and what do you do when you have little, if any spare time to devote to the project???
Two things to remember. First, it's all about the journey, it's not a race.

Second, it's like eating an elephant. You eat it one bite at a time but keep coming back and taking more bites.

I'm doing a frame off '64 Catalina restoration. My friends kept asking, "When are you going to be finished?" and "What have you done lately?"

I tell them that if they looked at it, they wouldn't likely see any difference from the last time they looked at it. Then I tell them the two things to remember. They're starting to understand.....even though they don't get it.

You have to be a car guy to understand.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Suspended

True, BigCat4Spd, very true....I will try to remember that.

Of course, I want everything done yesterday. The last car I did for myself I did in the shop and I was single, so I would literally spends days at a time on the project. I have nowhere near that much time now.

Thanks for the post!!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat4spd View Post
Two things to remember. First, it's all about the journey, it's not a race.

Second, it's like eating an elephant. You eat it one bite at a time but keep coming back and taking more bites.

I'm doing a frame off '64 Catalina restoration. My friends kept asking, "When are you going to be finished?" and "What have you done lately?"

I tell them that if they looked at it, they wouldn't likely see any difference from the last time they looked at it. Then I tell them the two things to remember. They're starting to understand.....even though they don't get it.

You have to be a car guy to understand.
VERY well stated. When people ask me about one of my projects being finished, I simply say, with a smile, it is finished when I am dead or when I sell it, which ever happends first.

On the bumper, yes between that big heavy bumper hanging way out in front of the wheelbase and the battery, you can gain much by moving the batt and using a 'glass replacement nose. I've done these mods on my driver GTOs now for 20 years and will never go back to a stock batt location and heavy nose. You would be surprised how much more nimble your car is without all that weight out there in front. It does make a difference.
By they way, I love '75 Formulas. They are great looking cars. I still remember the factory dealer brochure with eh red one parked in the shop next to a TA. Cool stuff.

Steve
Hosting-
Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
www.pbofallfest.org
12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix
www.pontiacheaven.org
8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Chief

Good luck. Nice looking car.

Reminds me of my 74 Form clean up I did twenty years ago. Same thing as you. Frame, firewall, inner fenders, engine etc.

I was a little intimidated by realigning the front fenders so I just left them hang and took everything else out and off.

Used lots of lacquer thinner getting my rust proofing off(along with an cup wheel brush on an 8-inch surface grinder).

I have pictures of all the parts and pieces hanging on nails, etc. in the garage. It's very satisfying when done though.

I too thought about the 350 build up. I ended up finding a good 400 and that's what's in it now.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep at it, nice car

[
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorris_74 View Post
"I too thought about the 350 build up. I ended up finding a good 400 and that's what's in it now...."
Norris,

I have a 412 Pontiac on the stand, but I am contemplating KRE heads and a roller cam upgrade in the near future, so slapping a few parts onto the 350 seems like a fun side project.

I could easily throw the 412 in the car, but that would mean running the flat tappet 288°/293° UD profile hydraulic, 6X-4 heads and roughly 8.55:1 SCR.

I think the 350 with '092' heads, 9.55:1 SCR and one of my custom ground .466"/.467" - 220°/226° @ .050" - 111.5° LSA hydraulic would be a better motor overall for the interim...Robert

Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Suspended

One of the things I am realizing is the 1975 has a lot of oddball parts that nobody is making, like the huge front valance, parking lamps and a few other things that are exclusive.

Classic Industries has a front chin spolier that you can use without the T/A flares, something that I like the look of. Has anyone ever used one of these spoilers??? Where do they attach???

I have done a lot of fiberglass work, completely rebuilding a busted trunk spoiler from a sack of pieces. I think my fiberglass skills will come in handy on the front valance as it is intact, yet cracked in several places...Robert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Broken End Piece 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	186123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost Done.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	186124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Valance.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	186125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valance Damage.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	186126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Mounting Points.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	186127  

Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Robert, I spent the better part of a weekend drilling holes in the front bumper on my '75. It's a lot of work for a little gain and I would not do it again. Search this forum for aluminum replacement pieces. I seem to recall something out there available. Same for the front lower valence. I ended up finding a used one and repaired it the best I could with a bumper repair kit. Have fun and remember to walk away when you get frustrated. Rick

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
"Robert, I spent the better part of a weekend drilling holes in the front bumper on my '75. It's a lot of work for a little gain and I would not do it again. Search this forum for aluminum replacement pieces....Rick"
That would be great, although I haven't found any information on an aluminum replacement as of yet. I'm looking at a series of 2.00" and 3.00" holes in the bumper support...Robert

Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Just found out that Texas Trans Am is reproducing the 1974-75 front valance and fiberglass bumper inserts!!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Suspended

For those who have asked for the links to the trunk spoiler repair and z-bar/4 speed swap threads, here you go...Robert

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...roken+spoilers

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...highlight=worn

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...highlight=worn

Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Update:

With the front sheet metal removed, the firewall and frame rails can be cleaned and painted. Now, the solid aluminum subframe/core support bushings can be installed along with the tubular control arms/low friction ball joints in the front suspension.

The 092 heads are now ready to go onto the 350 along with the upgrade to my custom .466"/.467" - 220°/226° @ .050" - 111.5° LSA camshaft.

I am also working on the 413 and possibly changing direction once again. As most of you know, I prefer taking a car to Laguna Seca or Willow Springs as opposed to the dragstrip, so I have been toying with last year's project of re-machining a discarded '990' crank down to SBC sized journals and destroking it 3.590" to create a 390 CID when mated to my 1970 4-Bolt Main 4.181" block. I will need to find rods for this application.

The Performer intake in the attached photo os slated for the Pontiac 350 upgrade. I am considering a Tomahawk Single Plane for the 390 CID Pontiac project.

I am also working on a new crossflow exhaust system as the brake lines and brackets on the 1979 Trans Am Disc Brake 10-Bolt interfere with the Flowmaster exhaust system. Current plans are for twin 'rack mounted' Pype's M-80 Mufflers mounted transversely behind the rear axle. This is still in the planning stages at the present time.

More updates to follow...Robert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	413 Right Side.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	187824   Click image for larger version

Name:	413 Valvetrain Mock Up.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	187825   Click image for larger version

Name:	413 Mock Up.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	187826  

Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for you Robert! Great Project and good thread.
I was NOT comfortable removing the fenders when I got into the "Might as Well" clean up the engine bay...
Brave man!
I was at the Good Guys swap meet this weekend and I found the fiberglass Cheap-o front spoiler and front flairs.. Got them all three for $10.00.. never installed.. Figured I'd try them at that price. I test fitted the flairs, which I DO like the look of, and they seem to line up to the body lines O.K., I just need to figure out how to mount them..

I changed out my motor mounts on my 75 to the Energy Suspension reds.. It wasnt hard. Maybe you can consider that detail too? Someday I'll spend money I dont have on Tubular C/A's..

Keep up the great work!

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Suspended

James,

I have the poly motor and tranny mounts, so I am looking forward to that upgrade after I get the frame painted...Robert

P.S. Anyone ever use those fibreglass 1974-1975 bumpers???

Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Suspended

After a lot of work, the '092' 389 heads, slated for my 'Projekt 350' are finally complete. I ended up using SBC 1.940" intake valves and stock 1.66" Pontiac exhaust valves, all in stainless steel, from SI valves. I also performed my customary 6-angle valve job, as I do on all my heads and these will be used with the .466"/.467" - 220°/226° @ .050" - 111.5° LSA Bullet Hydraulic Flat Tappet I had ground in 2002.

Rather than pull the old lower control arms and refinish them, I just ordered new ones, with Howe Low Friction Ball Joints and Greaseable Steel Sleeve Bushings. All of the front brake lines, backing plates and brake booster are also on their way and the #28150 Heddman headers were sent to Capps Brite-Hot Coating in Fresno, CA., for refinishing. This should just about complete the engine compartment and have the 350 Pontiac ready to go back in following the cam and head swap.

Now, when it comes to the 413, that's where the direction has changed a little. As most of you know, the .060" oversize, zero-decked 1970 'WS' 4 Bolt Main Block was recently stripped back down for the addition of PPR 5140 Rods and rebalanced. I used a new Hays flywheel and SFI balancer. Ron Mabry of Tulare, CA., did the balance work. I contacted Tim Goolsby at Bullet Cams to create the .490"/.495" - 231°/235° @ .050" - 110° LSA Flat Tappet Hydraulic Camshaft and used a very old set of new Johnson lifters from Tom S. Thanks, Tom.

Originally, I planned on using my 1979 date coded 6X-4 heads, but after running the numbers, the 95cc chambers were too large to achieve my 8.00:1 DCR target. I considered many options, including aluminum heads, but decided that I wanted to stick with iron and I wanted a small valve, high velocity head. I just don't think, nor have I ever thought, that big port/big valve, low velocity heads are right for a street car.

With the 41.5° ABDC intake event of the UD 231°/235° camshaft, 82cc chambers, .045" gasket, 6.625" rod and 3.750" stroke, my SCR worked out to be 9.49:1 with an on-target figure of 8.01:1 DCR. The next question was, where to find the right heads.

My search led me to a pair of #17 heads with filled crossovers, 1.960" x 1.660" backcut valves, fully ported to 245 cfm intake/.600" lift and 168 cfm exhaust/.600" lift respectively.

For now, power will come from the upgraded 66,000 mile 350 Pontiac, coupled to the M-20 4-Speed, which will give me ample time to complete the 413 that is currently on the stand.

That's all the update I have for this week. Another week of going without lunch and I will have the funds for the 7/16" x 1/2" Rocker Arm Studs for the '092' heads...Robert

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Once I started assembling these 092 heads, I discovered the spring pockets had been lowered to create a 1.700" installed height. Looks like I will have to pick up a set of Crower #68405 valve springs.

By my calculations, based on the data that Crower publishes, they should yield about 110 lbs on the seat @ 1.700" and roughly 288 lbs open @ .467" valve lift. However, as many of you know, Comp Cams springs will often have much more pressure than advertised.

Anyone with Crower experience care to comment????

Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Default 413 Projekt Update:

Part of the beauty of the 350 Projekt, is the time it affords me to work on the 413 Pontiac I have on the stand. For the heads, I started with an untouched set of 1979 date coded 6X-4's from my old 1979 Trans Am. The guides were in very good shape, so I installed K-Liners and performed my usual port/polish work, along with my customary multi-angle valve job. Since these heads were already drilled and tapped from the factory for screw-in studs and guideplates, nothing more was done in that area.

I recently ordered new 2.110" x 5.090" swirl polished, undercut stem intake valves from SI Valves along with 1.770" x 5.085" exhaust valves. Yesterday, I was checking the valve and seat patterns and made an interesting discovery. The 30° intakes have a contact pattern precisely in the middle of the valve face, exactly where it should be. However, when I checked my installed height, I recorded 1-24/32" or roughly 1.750" respectively.

These heads still have the 1.660" exhaust seats, so, naturally, the 1.770" exhaust valves yield a 1-21/32" installed height (1.656") as one would expect, in consideration of the .100" larger valves. Once the contact pattern on the exhaust valves is moved out in the center of the valve face with a 60° cutter, we should end up with 1.750" on the exhaust valves too.

I am not complaining about the extra installed height, just curious....Robert

P.S. Contact pattern photos shown with OEM replacement SI valves....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6x-4 Pockets.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	189725   Click image for larger version

Name:	6x-4 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	189726   Click image for larger version

Name:	6x-4 Valves.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	189727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed Height.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	189728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contact Patterns.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	189729  

Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did pretty much the same project with my 75 Formula about 2 years ago, keep up the good work it was very rewarding when completed. Heres a couple before and after photos. Ididn't remove the fenders but I did remove the fender wells, I also removed a detail the front suspension. It looked great when I was done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0655.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	189739   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-294S.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	189740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0299.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	189741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0303.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	189742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0667.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	189743  

Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Oh yeah!

Very nice!!!!! I love the fact you have a non A/C car!!!! I wouldn't own a Firebird with A/C. It took 5 years to find a non A/C V8 Firebird!!!!