Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Crower 60919 cam

In a 9.5:1, 461 engine, manual transmission car, with a 60919 cam, what would be the difference in things like idle quality, drivability, vacuum requirements, etc, with a Rhodes variable lifter versus a standard lifter. Hope someone who has experienced the difference first hand can chime in and help me out. Thanks.

Chris

Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have the Crower 60919 with the Rhoads Vari-lifters in the 2+2 (it's at 8.9:1 and 437 ci). The lifters are set at the middle .020" lash and we have just under 15 inches of vacuum. Engine is throaty and the Rhoads are not apparent with aluminum valve covers and hood insulation. I've been wanting to try both ways on the lifter lash (.010 and .030) but too many other projects to devote time since the engine is running excellent at the current lash. I would suspect that we might pick up another 2 inches of vacuum at the .030" lash - but really don't need any more. Probably be better to tighten up the lash and maybe restore some traction that we lost when we went to this combination from the Summit 2802. On a sticky track, the Summit was good in that it wouldn't break the wheels loose but had fair top end. Now we have to play with the throttle to keep from having the tires go up in smoke.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

77TA406
You will gain 2 or 3 inches of vacuum, much smoother idle, better low RPM throttle response, and your car will feel like you have gained 20-30 HP at driving speeds. If you haven't yet bought the Rhoads, I suggest you spend a little more and get the external oiling grooves - called "Super Groove". They provide superior oiling between the lifters and lobes and help with the modern oils.

I have used Rhoads for about 30 years and have them in my 11.40 wagon.

Jim Hand

Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you're supposed to tell us your 'vacuum requirements'.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rhoads Lifters

Well you cant improve on a recommendation from Jim Hand. I would follow his advice to the letter.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I may, what about the same cam on a 10.5 CR KRE head 461?
Will the higher compression come into play?

Also running Crowers 1.65 Adjustable Roller Rockers.
I like the cam, but I would love more low end power. Can I use the same push rods also?
Jim, these lifters? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHL-9518XL/
Or are they not listed?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Rugratman,
Compression should not be a problem with the Al. heads. And push rod length does not need to be changed with standard Rhoads. However it might need to be checked with the new V Max lifters described below.

Rhoads has released two new products in the last several years. One is the Super Lube feature that allows oil to pass down to the lifter/lobe interface. That feature is available on the original Rhoads lifters which is listed in Summit as:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHL-9518L/
These lifters are adjusted same as any hydraulic lifter

Rhoads has also released an adjustable variable duration lifter called V Tech. They are available with and without the Super Lube feature. They require adjustment identical to solid lifters, with the adjustment determining the level of leakage and resulting effect on both vacuum and noise. I suggest you read about these on the Rhoads site at:
http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/VFlatTappet.html

Although they require the adjustment with a feeler gauge, I feel they are worth the extra money - I am running them with the adjustment at .010 and running well.

Jim Hand

Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I am going to do a little more research on the Rhodes variable super groove as suggested by Jim. Will probably need to resurrect this thread in a day or two if I have any more questions.
Chris

Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

77TA, please post back. I would like to follow your info.

Jim, Thanks again...guess the intake is coming off again!...LOL
So a feeler gauge @ 0.10, and on 1/2 turn past lash?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Rugratman,
Follow the Rhoads directions jfor V Max adjustment at: http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/Installation.html

The quarter turn deal does not apply when using a feeler gauge and adjusting like solid lifters.

Jim Hand

Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hand View Post
77TA406
You will gain 2 or 3 inches of vacuum, much smoother idle, better low RPM throttle response, and your car will feel like you have gained 20-30 HP at driving speeds. If you haven't yet bought the Rhoads, I suggest you spend a little more and get the external oiling grooves - called "Super Groove". They provide superior oiling between the lifters and lobes and help with the modern oils.

I have used Rhoads for about 30 years and have them in my 11.40 wagon.

Jim Hand

Jim...I did some research on the Rhodes website. I found a listing for a lifter called a Super Lube. Is this the lifter you were referring to? The numbers are 9518L for the original and 9518XL for the V Max. Which one of the two would you recommend for a 95% street driven car?
Chris

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Chris,
In your case, the regular lifters (9518L) with the Super Lube would be best. They are preset for leakage and easier to install and adjust.
Jim Hand

Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do these need to be broken in?
also, after install, should you prime them?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Break-in is the same as with any new cam and lifters. My V-Max (with Superlube) lifter instructions said the lifters had to remain bled down until the lash was set. So they would get their oiling at the time you prime the engine. These lifters are beautiful - should be displayed up on the mantle instead of being hid in the engine. Last install I did was with the Crower with their additional lubing - kind of disappointed in the looks. Rhoads has a laser cut grove down the side, while Crower has a ground flat area running down the side. If you can adjust solid lifter lash, then you won't have a problem with setting lash on the V-Max.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Mick!
Really looking forward this!