Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Question 67 STEERING WHEEL

I AM LOOKING TO REFURBISH MY 67 CATALINA STEERING WHEEL AT A REASONABLE COST. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM

There used to be a couple of steering wheel resto outfits in Hemmings that did the Pontiac clear-top wheels for about $350-$400/wheel.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Checked Hemmings. Two ads, called both. $1,000-1200 Someone should do the same job for less?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Holy ballz, they have gone up. Picked a lousy economy to do it. Try Google.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 AM

Tried that too! Neg results.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 AM

Tried that too! Neg results.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Well, you can do what I did for my 67 Bonneville convertible and switch to the optional wood wheel ... a nice original one with all the hardware costs about half of what these guys are asking to restore yours. Or, you can do what a friend of mine did on his 67 Grand Prix ... split some rubber tubing, install on the bare metal frame and cover with a wrap-around wheel cover!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 PM

So what's thst make a good original worth?

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

Post Bakelite Wheel

I watched one on ebay last year that was in fair condition go for over $600.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 PM

No ****?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this a translucent wheel? They are expensive to restore, no two ways about it. Tom S. is getting one done for his '62 Grand Prix right now and he said it's going to cost $1300. Remember that the person doing the work has to build a mold to recast the thing, there's a lot of cost to do that plus the labor.

If it's not translucent (or if you can live without that feature) it can be made to look pretty good, assuming there's just a bunch of cracks in the plastic and there aren't missing parts. First, get some PC-7 two part epoxy; I've seen it at True Value Hardware or you can do a search online. Clean out the cracks in the plastic with a hacksaw blade, then fill them with the epoxy. The time consuming part is filing and sanding the epoxy down smooth, but it's not brain surgery - it just takes time and care. Once the cracks are filled, get the wheel painted with automotive paint to match the interior. It'll be opaque, but if the color goes with the interior it should look fine. The epoxy only costs a few bucks, so the expense will be getting it painted but that will still be a lot less than recasting the whole thing.

I did this with the wheel in my 1966 F-100 pickup over a decade ago, and it still looks like new. The PC-7 has the same expansion/contraction as the plastic so the wheel won't be affected by hot or cold weather. Eastwood company sells a steering wheel restoration kit, and it's basically a can of the PC-7 along with some sandpaper and an instruction pamphlet.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How easy is it to find an original 67 wood wheel and what are they going for these days? I know the any of the GTO wood wheels are up there.

These look nice but are they accurate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...Q5fAccessories

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.

Last edited by Mark Simiele; 03-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM

67's weren't translucent, at least the black wheel I have isn't. I'm thinking of putting it on my 68 GTO as it's very similar.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67 B body wheels are color and clear. If you have a solid color wheel, it is for an A body.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 AM

Color wheels came standard with B Body, unless the custom (Clear) steering wheel option was ordered.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot about the standard wheel, since I don't see many. That one only has a center horn button. I think it only came standard on a Catalina?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 AM

My 67 Cat Conv. had a clear/color wheel. The man is correct about it costing 1300 dollars to remake it.
I saw an original on e bay for 500 something but its 43+ years old and brittle as heck. The new ones are made with better materials and hopefully will not crack like the old ones.
I am going to get mine done soon and it will never see the sun shine on it.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres something you might like to try. If the center and spokes of your wheel are good take it to a shop that recovers seats and have them stitch a leather rap on the rim in a matching color.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM

Ok, I went and dug out the Bonnie wheel I've had stashed, took a bit also BTW as it's been in storage for 22yrs IIRC and was at the back of the pile.

I need to figure out how to get a pic off of my new phone to here and then I'll post a pic.

Black spokes and rim no clear at all. Stainless covers on the spokes with the horn buttons near the rim @ the 3 and 9 position. Green insert in the center cap, has a pontiac emblem and possibly energy absorbing or something to that effect. I didn't pay any attn to the lettering.

<Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

HOLY CRAP

I just posted looking for someone to restore mine. I was thinking 5 - 6 hundred. 13k is a whole lot of love for the wheel ! ! ! ! Considering what I just put in this car the aftermarket wheel may have to do for a while.

-Harry