THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Evaluating the Purchase of a Jim Wangers Signature Series GTO

This is nothing against Jim Wangers who had done a lot for Pontiac, but this car costs $125,000 is not a real 69 GTO and will experience serious depreciation to maybe half its value after two years - maybe worse. This car has an IAII motor with Edelbrock heads and still ran only low 12s according to a magazine. I guess this is for the deep pockets guy who wants a turnkey cool car, but you can buy 2 nice original Judges for what this costs.

http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/gt...ition-gto.html

Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thinks is a cool car and if I had the money to burn I'd buy one. Who cares about it not being a "real" GTO? I don't.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it looks nearly as silly as Jim's toupee.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bah! That is a cool ride. Nothing wrong with at all.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you know what the car will do as far as depreciation goes?

Whats your background?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
How do you know what the car will do as far as depreciation goes?

Whats your background?
I can only guess that the car will depreciate rapidly because it is not considered a classic, and insurers will likely view it as a customized car. For example, how well did the Tojan Firebird of the 80s or some other heavily modified Pontiacs do later valuewise?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
No disrespect to the man but I agree whole heartedly!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim wears a toupee?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car is nice but I don't like the taillights or those 70s Dodge Challenger hood scoops. For a lot less green, you can drop in an IAII in a stock 69 GTO.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a cool car, but unfortunately, the price just kills it. For $125K, I'd rather have a 2010 ZR-1 Corvette, which will outperform this Judge in every way, shape, or form, has a 5-year 100,000 mile factory warranty, can hit 200 mph, gets 20 mpg, and you'd still have $15K leftover to buy a used 2001 Ram Air Trans Am. I thought the price was going to come in around $50K, not $125K.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a reason they started with a Lemans or Tempest body, so not to take any real GTO cars away from the hobby which is the same thing with the Bandit Burt Reynolds edition T/A, no SE black cars were used as a basis. I have seen the car in person and the hood scoops are closer to 76-81 formula scoops than anything else. I believe the car will appreciate as it's a very low production car and much better executed than the Tojan firebird was in my opinion. If I had the money I'd buy one, the adage you can please some of the people some of the time applies here as all the critics of the 21st century GTO said it should be more like a retro car and this one does and still has critics about it's looks.....LMAO

You do know that the chassis is completely fabricated from tubing and has much better geometry than any 69 car ever had. You have a car built pretty much the same way a AC Cobra is and has many of the same features as a hand built Cobra and it's not worth that kinda money. You really have no grasp on what it takes to hand build a car such as that GTO then.

Two cars named after two guys that wear toupees, Coincidence??????

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Taillights -
Chin Spoiler -
Ducktail Spoiler - so so
Hood scoops -
Waaaaay tooooo large wheels -

Other than that, not bad.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Suspended

At Norwalk last year,they were talking around 200k. I am with Mike on this one- I would buy the ZR-1,hands down! It would look good parked next to my 2010 Grand Sport Convertible.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
It's a cool car, but unfortunately, the price just kills it. For $125K, I'd rather have a 2010 ZR-1 Corvette, which will outperform this Judge in every way, shape, or form, has a 5-year 100,000 mile factory warranty, can hit 200 mph, gets 20 mpg, and you'd still have $15K leftover to buy a used 2001 Ram Air Trans Am. I thought the price was going to come in around $50K, not $125K.
Agreed, the price is everything here. A 2010 ZR-1 Vette is a much better investment because there are many Vette people out there and it has the warranty.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Default its an interesting custom

The car is very interesting, but by using arguably the most iconic Pontiac performance model, most people here probably won't like the net result, too many changes, big and small. I mean we all play with cars that are generally more than 20 years old, and I dare say the majority of non-race cars are relatively stock looking.
I like some aspects, some i don't, most are already listed.

As to value, its not a production car. Its a one-off (or even if it ends of being a "ten-off") current customization of a 40 year-old car. Personally, I doubt there are too many precedents to predict value, but I'm inclined to think that the initial purchase price will be the most the car ever sees.

My 0.02

Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM

For this price, I hope they aren't planning to sell more than a few........if that!

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I admire the concept of creating this car. Execution wise, I'm not sold. Price wise, I'm totally not sold. Having seen his concept car in person, I was NOT impressed with the look or the build quality.
  • Tube frames exist today for about $12 - $15K
  • I say that the hood is all wrong for the rounded style of this year's GTO
  • The rear spoiler, again in concept, is something I like
  • I'd rather have seen some more subtle modifications to the car and less fiberglass

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

The exhaust pipes are ridiculous and the rear end looks stupid, but both of those can be negotiated if he knows he can sell one. As is, it's not for me...but a great effort..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
No disrespect to the man but I agree whole heartedly!

Agreed.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys busting on Jim personally are all a$$holes. Show some respect for Christ sake. If you don't like the car, fine...say what you don't like about it, but do you have to insult the old man?

The car is what it is, a custom built '69 GTO. I followed its build, and it's a well put together car from all aspects. Complaining it only runs 12's? Well, it did it on a chassis built for road racing, not 1/4 mile sprinting, with DOT rubber and a manual trans...and it pulled nearly 120 MPH doing it. I didn't see the weight mentioned but I imagine it has to be around 3800 lbs. That's damn respectable.

Aesthetically I think the car looks great...I especially like what they did with the chin spoiler treatment. If I had the financial wherewithal to purchase such a car, I wouldn't be concerned with the car losing resale value. If you worry about that thing, you're not a car guy, you're a speculator.

Most of you that know me here, know that I can be the biggest opinionated a$$hole with the biggest mouth, but when you start insulting the old man personally just because you don't like the car, that makes you an even bigger a$$hole than me.