Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Senior Chief

Default interested in doing a 6 speed conversion on my gto...

anybody done a 6 speed conversion on a 1970 gto? i'm interested in getting rid of the 4 speed...what is the price on a kit? i was goin to go with a 5 speed but after buying a dodge ram srt10 with the viper v-10/6 speed i want to have 6 gears in the gto too....

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
anybody done a 6 speed conversion on a 1970 gto? i'm interested in getting rid of the 4 speed...what is the price on a kit? i was goin to go with a 5 speed but after buying a dodge ram srt10 with the viper v-10/6 speed i want to have 6 gears in the gto too....
Search the forums. Someone put one in his '67 GTO and went in through the door vs under the car.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a 2006 Viper T56 in my 66 GTO, which will be only slightly different fitting into your 70. Click on the link in my sig and on the link below for details of the install. I love the 6 gears, and say without hesitation it's the best thing I ever did for the car. Feel free to post to those threads or email me with any questions if you need any help at all.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63343

While I went the DIY route, there are kits for the T56 and the new TR6060 available from various sources. Frankly, spend time on Pro-touring.com for more info on the available kits and options. Apart from a handful of us, folks at PY are not generally into such things as a state of the art modern 6 speed or other such advancements in their ancient muscle cars...

Part of The Harem:
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

checked out the link all i can say is SWEET! you had a lot more work involved going from an auto to a stick than i'll have to do....after searching the net it looks like i can get a kit that wil reuse my bellhousing,clutch and pedal linkage....my floor has already been hacked up by somebody years ago to make a hurst vertical gate shifter work,its a real mess...

Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 AM

I put an aftermarket version T56 in my '64 Lemans about 10 years ago. I did have to hack the floor up pretty good, but was able to reuse the stock bellhousing, clutch linkage and even my old clutch (I did use a different disc). I got the T56 used with about 1000 miles on it for $1800, and paid my friend about $300 for the use of his shop for a weekend to install it. It works great, but if I had to do it again I'd go with a 5 speed as the cruising speed in 6th is about 90mph, and I can't afford the tickets.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad you like the link, Yak. I run E-heads, a single plane intake, a 428, Q-jet, big cam, big headers, big compression, big etc. and 4.56 gears in the 12 bolt with 26" tall tires. I can cruise at 2K RPMS in any of the 6 gears at good speeds. The car cruises along at 55mph when around 2K RPMs in 5th gear, and in 6th gear at 2K RPMs she cruises right at 70mph. The engine loves the nice mild cruise RPM, my ears love it, the gas tank loves it. The gear spread is perfect in town and out, and, as you know the T56 is a really, really sweet shifting trans, nicer then anything else out there, really. Launches in 1st are fun to say the least. For drag racing I'll likely leave in 2nd gear as I will not likely ever run slicks on the car.

I wouldn't do the trans conversion any differently in itself, and certainly not pay extra for a 5spd vs a T56 takeout, which would have been the case for my conversion. I might try 4.11 gears at some point, however, although I'm happy with the 4.56's functionally thus far, they are just a bit too noisy (Richmond gears) for me and the 4.11's are inherently a much quieter gear ratio, I'm told.

Part of The Harem:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got mine thru D&D transmissions. It was a bolt on to the bellhousing w adapter (provided), refab crossmembbr, speedo cable fit, clutch linkage all good. Floor beat into shape. Great transmission. 2.66 1st with .82 and .64 OD gears. I run 3.90's 28" tire. Could have done 4.11's easily. Shifts flawless, way better than any other transmission I've driven. I've had a Muncie M20, Richmond 5 speed and drove my buddys TKO and the only one that was even close was the muncie,

Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy View Post
I got mine thru D&D transmissions. It was a bolt on to the bellhousing w adapter (provided), refab crossmembbr, speedo cable fit, clutch linkage all good. Floor beat into shape. Great transmission. 2.66 1st with .82 and .64 OD gears. I run 3.90's 28" tire. Could have done 4.11's easily. Shifts flawless, way better than any other transmission I've driven. I've had a Muncie M20, Richmond 5 speed and drove my buddys TKO and the only one that was even close was the muncie,
ok so there is a 6 speed available that can be installed reusing my stock bellhousing clutch linkage and clutch? i phoned hurstdriveline for a price and they said i need a different bellhousing and a hydraulic clutch upgrade to make it work to a price of 4500.00...i don't want a hydraulic linkage because i'm running super comp headers i can see the plastic lines and what not getting pretty hot...

my gto currently has 4.10 or 4.11s and 295/50 15s on it

Last edited by yak; 04-22-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...Path=107_92_94

When I bought the trans it was 3499, but that included the optional .8 and .62 5th and 6th gears. Now they are an extra 250....

My hats off to Socrates, he had much more time and patience than me....he put it together the low buck way, great documentation of the process btw. I just needed to get my car running again, the Richmond had been showing signs of weakness before it failed at the track so I had to make a decision quickly or the car would have sat for a while. Plus, I hadn't spent any money on my car in years and I figured for a new technology transmission that could handle 750lb/ft and shift like a light switch...it was actually a fair price. Go take a look at drag race 4 and 5 speeds, they are even more money than the DD built T56.

4.10's would be perfect with the T56, get the optional .8/.62 ratio's....it's worth it. If you get into some slow hwy traffic, it's nice to shift down into 5th and cruise 55-60 around 2-2200.

The adapter plate, custom input shaft makes it fit right to a stock (or Lakewood) bellhousing. The flywheel, clutch, linkage, etc...all was the same. You will need a new driveshaft or yours modified, mod the crossmember, hookup a switch for the reverse lockout, thats pretty much it. My reverse lights actually work now, never did with the R5.

Index the bellhousing as close as you can get it. These new transmissions do not have any play in the input shaft at all, it's a tight trans so make sure it is indexed perfect, it will slide right in. Also check your driveshaft angles from the engine and to the rear, the trans wants to be high in the tunnel for all this to line up and be right. Too many guys just put it in low and don't cut the floor enough and then the angles are all screwed up, it will vibrate if you don't get it right.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

stickboy? how bad did you have to beat the floor for the t-56 to fit?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yak, with one of the adapter plates seen in these links:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ion/index.html

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/t56pics.cfm

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/4803441.htm

You can use your factory bellhousing, clutch linkage, fork, TOB, flywheel, clutch, etc. and mate an LS1 or Viper or aftermarket T56 to your Pontiac. With the LS1 T56 you'll need an extended pilot bushing, either from McLeod or from your local machine shop. With the Viper you'll need to enlarge the factory bushing and trim down the input shaft a hair. The plate is a great option if you already have the factory bell and factory linkage in place. Id use a blowproof bellhousing no matter which clutch setup you choose to go, however.

Thanks for the kind words, stickboy. Now, if I can only row my 6spd car into the mid 11's as you have with yours!

Part of The Harem:

Last edited by Socrates; 04-22-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We beat it a lot! I am stickboy in stature as well as driving style.....so my arms were sore, I had some good help to do it (my buddy and his shop, car high in the air, sledgehammer) as I was not too sure about cutting the floor out. There are just a few spots up front where it is really close, once you get to the rear of the trans, it's not so bad.....also I fail to mention, I removed the stock shifter porch and raised it, refabbed it for clearance to the reverse lockout solenoid. The carper went back and I had to trim part of the console base to set down on it. I have some pix somewhere on my computer but nowhere near as complete as Socrates' thread.

btw, I used the pilot bearing 7109 i think, just the standard one and the DD trans has an input shaft that is the right length and diam for the stock style bearing. Otherwise you can do like Soc recommends. I really didn't have time or energy to research all the LS LT Viper, etc options, so I just went with the complete GM bolt in tranny from DD. I applaud and commend anyone who went thru that much investigation to figure it all out and post it here for all of us to see.

I took the easy way out and opened up my wallet (cash stash). We spend thousands on our motors etc, why not spend some money on a good OD trans that will live in the car for years to come. I totally dig the trans, best ever......and I have owned and driven a bunch of other ones. The R 5 speed - I had 1000 into it with the Long shifter and I abused it hard for 8 years in my car. Broke it twice and fixed it, but to me thats waaay worth it. 8 years of bashing around town and drag racing w/ an OD trans....I got my moneys worth for sure.

I'll post some pix later if I can find them.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are some pics....The beating took place right in front of the seam sealer. The cut out and modified shifter porch. The crossmember with mount lowered 1" (kinda hard to see). The DD trans comes with the shifter extention shown, puts it pretty close for the console. You can also see the reverse lockout as it comes up partially thru the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T561.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	204115   Click image for larger version

Name:	T562.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	204116   Click image for larger version

Name:	T563.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	204117   Click image for larger version

Name:	T564.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	204118  

Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

so this all works with your factory console too? im having floor pans put in my car next week so by the time i get around to it they will already be installed, i dont mind so much taking a hammer to them, its the cutting out and sectioning that socrates done that scares me since my skill level may not be upto par, being able to slightly modify a stock console is a plus too.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

stickboy, I'm absolutely amazed that you are able to get to all of the upper trans to bell bolts with the floor pan uncut! Kudos for making that work. I tried doing this without removing the tunnel, although I couldn't figure how to reach the bolts with the trans up tight against the tunnel. Plus, I did this swap on my back.

performerrpm, you can use a factory console fairly easily with the right shifter. A factory auto console would work perfectly with the Viper T56 trans using a 03-04 cobra shifter. A factory manual trans console could be used with any T56 if you simply offset the shifter a bit and maybe slide the console a couple of inches up.

Regarding the BFHole in the floor. I hesitated to cut my nice floor pans, and I probably stared at the hump for 2 hours trying to figure a way to make the swap work without cutting. Ultimately I cut away, and the ends easily justified the means. Unless you do an expose of your install online, who is actually going to know that you cut out the tunnel besides you? Besides myself and my wrenching buddies, no one else tears up my cars carpet or jacks up the car and lays on the dirty ground to get a view of my trans tunnel. With the car flat on the ground and interior installed, the tunnel metal is invisible. Having the large access hole makes the install and removal of the T56 a casual joy, which you won't hear many people saying about their typical ~140lb trans + 45lb bell work...

Part of The Harem:

Last edited by Socrates; 04-22-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

this info is great! it's not a matter of IF, its a matter of WHEN i get started on this swap...what is a recently rebuilt muncie m21 in excellent working condition worth? it was replaced when the car was on warranty back when it was new so it has no vin numbers on it...i will probably have to sell it to help finance the project......

i'm really interested in the b&b transmission for 3500.00 but i don't really need one thats been souped up....a stock viper box would be fine....i'll probably give them a call soon

video of the car i plan on doin the swap in.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhsJfJE8iwM

Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great looking goat, Yak. A free revving 400 and E-heads deserves a nice T56 to back them up. Feel free to email or even call me if you need any help with the conversion.

Part of The Harem: