Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Talking Buick 455 engine values

Hey guys,

I met a guy a few days ago who has what he claims to be a '70 Buick 455 Stage 1 engine that he's looking to sell.
It's been stored in his garage for quite some time and he's cancelled plans for a project he had saved it for...so now it's just taking up space. I'm told it's partially disassembled (not sure how far) and mostly complete, minus carb and possibly distributor. I plan to go look at it the end of this week.

I've done some looking around on one of the Buick sites for codes, cast numbers and such, so I think I'm ok with knowing what to look for to identify if it's really a Stage 1 as he claims.

Assuming it's a '70 engine...does anyone have an idea what a good rebuildable core is worth -either as a Stage 1 or just a standard 455?
Is there a big difference in value if it were a '71 vs '70?

He was not sure what he wants for it, but if I can buy / sell and make a few bucks to use toward my own car I will.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Stage 1 would be mostly with the heads and pay attention to the valve sizes. No Stage 1 had four bolt mains. I think casting numbers aren't always for sure when your talking about a Buick engine. 455 Buick engines are no where near as rare as a Pontiac 455 because every 225 had one in plus some Lesabre's had them along with the Riv's. I may have a carb for it depending on what you find out. Post some pics!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd like to find out as well, I found a good deal on a Buick 455 that needs basically a dress-up kit, however I think I might get reamed for having a Buick engine until I get the real deal.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Not sure about Stage 1 stuff but Buick 455's generally go for $300-$500 around here depending on condition.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are they hard to find parts for or more expensive? I'm trying to think if I should buy a Buick engine for now. Obviously I wouldn't buy one if it cost the same amount to put on a dress-up kit, intake and carb as buying a running Pontiac though.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Senior Chief

Turned a 70 GS455 motor loose 3 years ago for $150. The motor was good, I had it for 20 years and owned the original Saturn yellow AC car it came out of which I got rid of along time ago (huge mistake). Broke my heart but nobody had any interest in the motor. The guy I sold it to was from MA.

Last edited by drailed; 05-27-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks guys...
Will follow-up after I look at it.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't have a problem with a Buick 455 in anything else. Great engine, and quite a bit lighter than what we are used to.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only reason why I would get this engine is because I have found a great price on it and for some reason they are easier to find than Pontiacs around here. I'm not putting a Chevy in my GTO, but a Buick 455 might be nice if it is a decent engine, for now.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They blow up quite abit easyer than a pontiac because they suck oil from pan to front cover then back. The mains weld to the crank because of this. And if it has sit for a long time prime the pump before starting. And yes you can adress this short coming but not real well there is a reason they all had 20-50 in them when they had any miles at all on them the oil light would come on at idle. And oddly the 76 block is better than the old block because of a larger passages for the oil pump in the block.