Old 08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Expansion/POA valve cover on a '65

Take a look at the attached pic, can anyone tell me what that cover is over the expansion/POA valve, I've seen other "65's with it but most do not have it, including mine. Was it for early/late cars, only cars with ATC? Anyone got one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37dd_1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	214841  

Old 08-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Most of those were broken / thrown out when removed for service. Can't give you a proper name.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Most of those were broken / thrown out when removed for service. Can't give you a proper name.
I can - it's called RARE. It's also called Not-Reproduced and if you find one, BUY IT!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So do you think every A/C car came with one in '65, what about other years, anyone know? They may have been a pita to r & r so people, auto shops, dealers just threw them away, they don't seem to be for any reason other than looks.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I'd say the have an inuslation quality also. Keep the POA valve cooler and it functions more efficiently.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my '66 Grand Prix from Pete Klabo (Ventures Unlimited) in Oregon and I clearly recall him pointing out that the car was so original it still had the A/C cover fitted.

Why do they get thrown away??? I'd say it's for 2 reasons: they are a little difficult to remove & refit but more probably it could be that the mounting lugs fracture so they just break and the cover starts lying loosely over the A/C unit.

My own cover has one broken lug (which I have repaired & strengthened) so I'm very concious it it brittle & old.

Ian

Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Default AC Plumbing cover

I've never heard of the reason for their existence but I can tell you that they were installed on all fullsized AC cars both in 1965 and 1966. Not sure if they were installed later than these two years. Pontiac changed the POA valve configuration in 1966 and as a result the cover for that year is slighly different (less domed) than the 1965 ones. There is also a different part number for each.

I finally found a good one after searching for many years. The ears did get easily broken off and when I bought my car the ears on the evaporator case were all that was left. These covers are very difficult to find since most are damaged in some way.

They are made of fiberglass and the engine heat after all these years have made them quite brittle.

Hope that helps clarify.

Brad Kline