Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM

Default Front lower control arm bushing Q with pic!

I have a '71 GTO. No idea how old the suspension pieces are, but they have sat for at least 20 years now...

My buddy just put tubular control arms in his '71 chevelle. He gave me his stock upper & lower A arms w/ black poly bushings which appear to be in decent shape, definitely better than my cracked rubber bushings.

1. Will these interchange? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes)

2. On the driver-side lower arm, front (round) bushing, the inner portion was slightly damaged upon removal. Approximately 40% has "peeled" away, but is still attached.
My Q: does this look like it needs to be replaced, or just try glueing or melting the "peeled" portion back onto the arm and reinstall as is?

3. If the answer to 2. is replace, does anyone have an extra bushing?? Can I replace with a new rubber, or should I replace with a poly, and does it matter red or black?

I would really like to go with 2, but don't want to have to go back in there so if 3 is the answer might as well do it now...

Thanks!

Here's the pic:

Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Will these interchange? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes)
Yes, they will interchange. Note that some models have two round bushing on the lower A-arm, most have one round and one oval. Makes no difference which you have, just use the same on both.

2. On the driver-side lower arm, front (round) bushing, the inner portion was slightly damaged upon removal. Approximately 40% has "peeled" away, but is still attached.
My Q: does this look like it needs to be replaced, or just try glueing or melting the "peeled" portion back onto the arm and reinstall as is?
Replace it. Any attempt to band-aid this will just end up with taking it apart again.

3. If the answer to 2. is replace, does anyone have an extra bushing?? Can I replace with a new rubber, or should I replace with a poly, and does it matter red or black?
Red or black is just asthetics. If the rest of the bushings are poly, replace with poly. I believe you can just buy the round bushings you need (in pairs) from the manufacturer.
Try Hotchkis http://www.hotchkis.net

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks PMD racer.

After looking closely at the bushing I could see tiny part numbers...they matched Prothane part numbers so I gave them a call and asked if I could buy just one since it was damaged upon removal and the rest are still good. They actually warrantied it for free! Definitely a nice surprise I was not expecting. Will hopefully get these, along with new balljoints & tierods, installed this coming weekend.