THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Ford Testing Info for the Board

I have posted in the past on some of the forums about the testing we do on our engines.

One of the major tests is a 300 hour "FIE" test.

As it turns out, Ford, recently, decided to make some commercials highlighting the merits
of the 3.5L V6 Direct Injection Twin Turbocharged "ECO-BOOST" engine (which my Research and Advanced Engineering Team designed). They also got the guy from "Dirty Jobs" MIKE ROWE to narrate the videos.

If you can get past the advertising aspect of the videos, it will give the PY Board an idea of the types of testing that I do at work and also the capabilities of the new engine.

Even if one person, like Bob Dillon, (who bought some Ford stock cheap) can learn something about his "investment", maybe it is worth the typing.

Here is the link:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

There are supposed to be several parts to the videos, (much like the "dirty Jobs" episodes.

The link will give you access to the Dyno testing and a second video will give you a "Dirty Jobs" type experience pulling some logs at a logging camp somewhere out west.

Tom Vaught

ps I am very proud of this engine. (:>). I know all of the guys in the video.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool videos. Nicely done. 150K for a diesel is nothing. Maybe try it at 300K.

We discussed replacement rpm instrumentaiton for the Ford dyno cells, but the ±1 rpm accuracy (not unreasonable) they wanted needs a digital solution, which we didn't have. Of course, if you get very high resolution you can look at instantaneous crankshaft velocity, which provides much useful information.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Cool videos. Nicely done. 150K for a diesel is nothing. Maybe try it at 300K.

We discussed replacement rpm instrumentation for the Ford dyno cells, but the ±1 rpm accuracy (not unreasonable) they wanted needs a digital solution, which we didn't have. Of course, if you get very high resolution you can look at instantaneous crankshaft velocity, which provides much useful information.
The engine is not a DIESEL ENGINE, It is a GASOLINE fueled Direct Injection Turbocharged Variable Camshaft Timing Engine. Most people assume that a Gasoline Engine will need major repairs at 150,000 miles. We are demonstrating that there is a lot of life left in the engine even at 150K miles.

Yep, we like to know within ONE RPM what the engine is doing. It really helps identify combustion stability issues during PROTOTYPE development work.

Tom Vaught

ps Ford Stock went over $16 per share yesterday (:>)

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

How come you don't get to be in a commercial, Tom?

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 11-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Boost Engineer

The GM Ad Guys already had a couple of "Old Fat Guys" in the "Max and Al" Chevrolet Silverado Truck "pulling a tree stump" commercials (using a couple of Fat Comedians).

The Ford Guys didn't need "comedians", they used Engine Dynos and Real World "pulling demonstrations" at an actual Logging Camp.

Tom Vaught

ps I was on the internet ONCE in a Ford Mule "prototype" Mustang and caught he## for getting nailed by a photographer, don't need that visibility again.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Tom, did you do any work on the new T6 Turbo motors we have in our Volvo's?

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 11-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty impressive Tom. I really like the new Ford 6.7L Diesel!! 400 Hp & over 800 LbFt of torque. What a monster stump puller. Several people here at the shop have gotten their hand slapped for doing tire smoking burn outs in them.

POCI.org
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DOH! Sorry, I guess when I see "direct injection" I think of diesels.

I was just remarking to a neighbor how his 3.0 Ford V-6 needed almost nothing for maintenance at 90K except for spark plugs and 40 years ago we would be contemplating an engine rebuild. New spark plugs required a test drive to a couple of taverns .
High resolution rpm info under acceleration or load is a good way to measure per-cylinder power contribution. If the combustion event doesn't kick the crankshaft, there is a problem.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks for all of the great feedback! (:>)

Yes, I think the 6.7L Diesel engine is a great engine.

A guy named "Harold" was the Turbo Engineer on that diesel program.

We tested those engines for a couple of years in Research, "Harold" works in Research too.

The Volvo Guys were part of our normal turbo meetings right up until we sold Volvo.
The Volvo guys brought a lot of vehicle knowledge to the plate, I will miss meetings with them. We ran the "Volvo Turbo" you are referring to on an engine with very good results, as we "benchmark" a lot of different turbos as part of my job.

Tom Vaught

I think the videos were more entertaining vs watching a couple of fat boys pull a bush out of a yard.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom i have been watching the new ads about the new ford vison SK with all the touch controles, Are they good cars? From what i have saw they look very nice It might be my next car, Thank you sir.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Boost Engineer

And THANK YOU for considering Ford in your future purchase.

Tom Vaught

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Chief

Tom,

Appreciate the insight and links. What truck models will the Eco-boost be available on? Looking at Ford's site, it only shows the 3.7, 5.0 and 6.2 as available engines in the F150's. Is it going to be a mid-year release? Gotta say, that torque number is impressive, even with twin turbos. Over 400 at 2500 rpm. Musta been designed by a Pontiac guy

Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The GM Ad Guys already had a couple of "Old Fat Guys" in the "Max and Al" Chevrolet Silverado Truck "pulling a tree stump" commercials (using a couple of Fat Comedians).

The Ford Guys didn't need "comedians", they used Engine Dynos and Real World "pulling demonstrations" at an actual Logging Camp.

Tom Vaught

ps I was on the internet ONCE in a Ford Mule "prototype" Mustang and caught he## for getting nailed by a photographer, don't need that visibility again.
I thought those ad's were funny.

DIdn't GM challenge Ford to some sort of test and they refused? I'll have to find the thread about that.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Filed under: Truck, Marketing/Advertising, Work, Chevrolet, Ford, GM, Diesel

Numbers like maximum horsepower, torque and tow ratings are the heart and soul of the full-size heavy duty pickup truck segment. No shocker there. But how much reliance can consumers actually put on figures provided by the manufacturer? And, keeping in mind that the average test drive doesn't include hooking up a ten-ton trailer, how might we all get a proper frame of reference when judging one massive diesel beast with another?

Such questions may soon get an answer... other than this one, decided upon just a few weeks back. It seems that General Motors has issued a pretty straightforward challenge to Ford: a towing duel up mountain grades, followed by a comparison of factory-issued exhaust brakes on the way back down. (Sorry, Ram... guess you're not invited out to play.) Seems simple enough, no?

Here are some relevant statistics: Ford's (reflashed) 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel V8 engine punishes the tarmac with an even 400 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque. That's class-leading, as GM's 6.6-liter Duramax pumps out 397 horses and 765 pound-feet. Looking at those numbers, Ford wins... right?

Not so fast, says Chevrolet Silverado Marketing Manager Tony Truelove, "Numbers on paper are fine," he said. "Let's go work these trucks in the mountains, and may the best truck win." To which Ford Trucks spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari replied, "We challenge our trucks against the competition in grueling prove-out tests continually, and the customer gives us the results - sales leadership year after year."

That's right, The Blue Oval plainly and unsurprisingly declined Chevrolet's invitation. But the show must go on, and our friends at Pickuptrucks.com promise to be on hand in their very best black-and-white-striped shirts to serve as referees for the main event. Let's get ready to rumble!

Gallery: PickupTrucks.com Heavy-Duty shootout 2010

http://bar-and-grill.com/forums/show...29&postcount=1

Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Boost Engineer

And how does this Diesel Challenge fit into a topic that is about the Durability of a GASOLINE powered V-6 Turbocharged Truck Engine, Mr GTO?

"Gallery: PickupTrucks.com Heavy-Duty shootout 2010"

Last time I looked the F-150 Pick-up was rated as a "Light Duty" vehicle.

According to this link: http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=126169

"The series begins with a randomly selected engine from the Cleveland Engine Plant going through a variety of extreme laboratory and on-road tests. Among the tests the EcoBoost-powered truck performs: hauling tons of timber in the Northwest, towing an 11,000 lb. trailer at top speeds at the Homestead-Miami Speedway and competing head-to-head with COMPETITIVE trucks towing 9,000 lbs. on steep grades at Davis Dam, Nevada."

Sounds to me, Mr. GTO, that Ford will be running "head-to-head" with the Chebby and the GMC boys "towing 9,000 lbs" gasoline powered trucks at some point in future videos.

Tom Vaught

Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
And how does this Diesel Challenge fit into a topic that is about the Durability of a GASOLINE powered V-6 Turbocharged Truck Engine, Mr GTO? "Gallery: PickupTrucks.com Heavy-Duty shootout 2010"

Last time I looked the F-150 Pick-up was rated as a "Light Duty" vehicle.

According to this link: http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=126169

"The series begins with a randomly selected engine from the Cleveland Engine Plant going through a variety of extreme laboratory and on-road tests. Among the tests the EcoBoost-powered truck performs: hauling tons of timber in the Northwest, towing an 11,000 lb. trailer at top speeds at the Homestead-Miami Speedway and competing head-to-head with COMPETITIVE trucks towing 9,000 lbs. on steep grades at Davis Dam, Nevada."

Sounds to me, Mr. GTO, that Ford will be running "head-to-head" with the Chebby and the GMC boys "towing 9,000 lbs" gasoline powered trucks at some point in future videos.

Tom Vaught
Don't argue with him Tom, He's still trying to wipe the GM poop off his night vision goggles.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Don't argue with him Tom, He's still trying to wipe the GM poop off his night vision goggles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Tom, the new Powerstroke is tough!

If GM wasn't worried they wouldn't be doing this...

I just saw the new 3/4 ton version, LMAO!

You are right Sleepy and Dave H, when they bring out "Mr GTO" to defend them, you know that they are really worried. (:>)

Tom Vaught

Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Even though i am a GM man (old GM), I am looking forward to the Eco-boost test to see whats what. They need to install the Eco-boost in the truck in lieu of the sluggish 4.6 which resides in my 2010 F-150. Or just jam in that "test mule" that someone has in their shop.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigunde View Post
Even though i am a GM man (old GM), I am looking forward to the Eco-boost test to see whats what. They need to install the Eco-boost in the truck in lieu of the sluggish 4.6 which resides in my 2010 F-150. Or just jam in that "test mule" that someone has in their shop.
2011 F-150 WILL have a ECOBOOST 3.5L GTDI Engine (Gasoline Turbo Direct Injection) engine as an option you can order. It will not be a "Test Mule" put together by Tom Vaught.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-ford-f-150-engines/

"The 2011 Ford F-150 now has more exciting engine choices than at any other time in the storied truck's history. But as much as we're looking forward to rocking the new 411-horsepower 6.2-liter V8, the 360-hp 5.0-liter V8 or the 300-hp 3.7-liter V6, the top of-the-line EcoBoost V6 has us the most excited. The reason? Ford keeps taunting us with tales of terrific torque curves and class-leading fuel economy."

Tom Vaught

Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't shoot the messenger...respond to the article.