Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ??? Will a Pontiac 455 w/TH400 fit a 1986 Corvette?

Wondering if it's possible to fit a traditional Pontiac V8 in a 1986 Vette? I chose 1986 since it's the year I graduated. JD

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well,I'm sure you can get it to fit on the mounts,as I've seen lots of pontiacs sitting on SBC mounts in GM trucks and such,so that part should be NBD really,as the two engines are fairly close to each other in that respect.

But the exhaust is going to be the major headache I'm sure.

I dunno JD,,,that's a good question???

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm betting hood clearance will be an issue. The engines are set back pretty far too (all though not as bad as later models). It's going to be tight, and at minimum a large scoop will be necessary.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
Well,I'm sure you can get it to fit on the mounts,as I've seen lots of pontiacs sitting on SBC mounts in GM trucks and such,so that part should be NBD really,as the two engines are fairly close to each other in that respect.

But the exhaust is going to be the major headache I'm sure.

I dunno JD,,,that's a good question???

Bret P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike View Post
I'm betting hood clearance will be an issue. The engines are set back pretty far too (all though not as bad as later models). It's going to be tight, and at minimum a large scoop will be necessary.
I've got a guy coming tonight to make a final decision on my Ventura II. I'm sad to see the car go but it is what it is. I have a 455 I wanted to build and thought hey I wonder if it will fit? LOL No solid plans, but if it requires a big hood scoop I'm out. Thanks! JD

Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM

This a good way to irritate the Corvette guys. Just what a Corvette needs anyway.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I think it is a great idea but, why use the th 400? The 700 has better gearing on both ends and would be a better choice. You could do some comparative measureing between the original engine or similar and the Pontiac. I bet it would not be too bad on the height. Depending on the intake you choose. How cool would a TPI set up adapted would be.
I have a late 80s Corvette front end I am going to put under my 69 GTO. If I remember correctly, the steering rack sits in front of the motor, correct? If so, steering should not be a problem, oil pan sump should not matter either. I think the width of the motor may bne the determining factor. Not sure.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Ventura II View Post
I've got a guy coming tonight to make a final decision on my Ventura II. I'm sad to see the car go but it is what it is. I have a 455 I wanted to build and thought hey I wonder if it will fit? LOL No solid plans, but if it requires a big hood scoop I'm out. Thanks! JD
Cowl induction hood maybe?

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ugh,I did'nt look closely enough @ the year ('86),that's a C4 vette.

Bummer,,,I personally would'nt want one of those...

C3 yeah sure,now that I could work with.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 PM

The hood on that thing's glass. Not a big deal to add a cowl and with that anything will fit.

IIRC that's one of the POS Vettes that the rear body has to be cut to replace the fuel pump. You might be able to buy one cheap because of that.

I'd use a 700R4 trans.
Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
The hood on that thing's glass. Not a big deal to add a cowl and with that anything will fit.

IIRC that's one of the POS Vettes that the rear body has to be cut to replace the fuel pump. You might be able to buy one cheap because of that.

I'd use a 700R4 trans.
Mike
On the 86? NO, They can be taken out through the gas door. 84-at least 90 the pump is accessed through the gas door, probably later than that.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The oil filter may be a problem. SBC it is on the underside of the block, Pontiac it hangs off the side of the block and there isn't much frame clearance with the small block.