THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Happy 100th Birthday Ronald Reagan

The Gipper would have been 100 years old today.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

And today he is a better President than.......oh,never mind.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I liked Ronnie a lot, in many ways.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Who cares...really!!! No one ACTED like a President better than Ronnie. (except maybe George II)
Brian

Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

Happy Birthday RWR. Left , Right, Dem or GOP...you don't win 49 states, unless you influence people as Americans over party. And Pride.

Sidenote...I always enjoyed the " he's just an actor" statement, Yet, today no one says a peep about folks such as Al Franken.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Chief

I think he ruined my world.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova7579 View Post
Who cares...really!!! No one ACTED like a President better than Ronnie. (except maybe George II)
Brian
very true...it was very nice to see esp after Carter!

Ronnie is lots better off where he is now though!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We could use a man of his strength, conviction, and leadership today.

My favorite moment from his presidency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv13ZnkpWos

Old 02-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
We could use a man of his strength, conviction, and leadership today.

My favorite moment from his presidency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv13ZnkpWos
I agree, also think we may have one up and coming, a 'person'......
Ronnie changed my perspective towards his way of thinking between '80 and '84 and have stayed that way. made that right turn

Gosh, I remember so well how the press just hated him and tried just about anything to discredit him. Sound like anyone out there today?

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post
I think he ruined my world.
Stop "thinkin".. " A rising tide floats ALL boats"

Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 9 most fears words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Inspiring to hear speeches from Ronald Reagan.

On the other ; wife & I cannot tolerate to listen to Carter or Obama.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ronald Reagan's speech in 1964 before the Republican Convention was a masterpiece.
I knew then that he had a vision and conviction. Although he was a very capable POTUS, he was not with out his blemishes-Iran Contra comes to mind.
I found it intreresting his son Ronald,Jr. in his new book says he observed symtoms of Alzheimer's (sp?) while his dad was still in office. I liked Mr. Reagan, eventhough I didn't agreew with some of his decisions. A true American.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was watching a batch of 80's music videos the other day on VH1 Classic. It's really funny to see how many musicians, 99.9% of whom are radical Liberals, bashed Reagan back then. They all said Reagan would blow up the world. They all said Reagan would throw the country into poverty. They cheered when they thought he was assassinated. MTV music videos always portrayed our future as a post-apocalyptic world, a vast nuclear wasteland. Comedians like Robin Williams and many others built their careers on bashing Reagan and his supposed war-monger mentality. They were actually scared.

And they were all wrong.

Greatest economic recovery in history. Reagan correcting all the horrors and failed policies of Jimmy Carter. Reagan restored American pride. And then the unthinkable occurred. Instead of Reagan destroying the world, he saved it. The Soviet Union abandoned Communism. Gorbachev liked Reagan, Reagan liked Gorbachev. And Gorbachev liked America.

All those MTV music videos, laced with anger, coming from John Mellencamp, Sting, The Police, Genesis, Don Henley, and countless others, all portrayed Reagan as the man that would destroy our world.

They were all wrong.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best president we've had since I've been around.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This was one of may favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoPu1...eature=related

Another was during the '84 campaign. Reagan was leaving the Rose Garden and a member of the press blurted out "What do you think of Mondale's charges?" Reagan didn't skip a beat and replied "I think that he should pay them!"

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
The 9 most fears words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Inspiring to hear speeches from Ronald Reagan.

On the other ; wife & I cannot tolerate to listen to Carter or Obama.
X2. I'll add slick Willie and Ross Perot (with his stupid charts) to that list of things intolerable to watch.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
They were all wrong.
No reason to use the past tense ... they still are.

I miss ya' Ronnie ... my finest Commander-in-Chief, who made me proud to serve a country we ALL loved.
Ogre

Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reagan's Squirrels

Reagan loved the White House squirrels. He would collect acorns at Camp David and bring them back to feed to the squirrels that lived on the White House grounds. When artist Jamie Wyeth visited the executive mansion to talk with the first lady about a design for the Reagans' 1984 Christmas card, he found out why the president kept a bag of acorns in his office. That quirky bit of information inspired Wyeth to paint a scene of the North Portico with new fallen snow marked only by the footprints of a lone squirrel -- headed toward the doors of the big house where the man with the acorns lived. President George H. Bush included a story about the squirrels in his eulogy at Reagan's funeral.

On his final day as president in 1989 -- mindful that the Bush's dog, Millie, was about to arrive -- Reagan put a little sign for the squirrels in the yard outside the Oval Office door that read 'Beware of the dog'.

On another occasion, Reagan had forgotten to bring acorns back from Camp David. He was having a very important high level meeting at the White House. With dignitaries from various nations sitting around the Oval Office, involved in a somewhat heated discussion, Reagan glanced over to a window, and saw a squirrel standing on his hind legs, with his arms spread wide on the glass, looking into the Oval Office. Reagan had to keep from laughing, realizing laughter may be taken wrong in a room full of foreign officials. He quietly told an assistant to find some acorns.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO, a great leader and one that did restore a sense of national pride. Beyond that....well, I guess revisionary history may be the judge: http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/05/reagan-centennial/

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
This was one of may favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoPu1...eature=related

Another was during the '84 campaign. Reagan was leaving the Rose Garden and a member of the press blurted out "What do you think of Mondale's charges?" Reagan didn't skip a beat and replied "I think that he should pay them!"
Too funny! I heard what happened after he was shot and put into the hospital on the table. He said to the doctors " I hope you are all Republicans" LOL Some thought he was senile, there is evidence he was not.

Whether you liked him or did not, I am sure most would agree, he did restore pride in being an American. I have a copy of his speech he spoke as his term was over and felt so sad he would not be leading anymore. He had started his term in 1981 and i was so against him but, ny 1989, I was very sad to see him go. Things were so much better from the late 70s.

Happy Birthday and God Bless you

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11