Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default opinions on "cowl screen"

I am going back and forth over whether to put in the 68 metal mesh cowl screen or the plastic 69+ unit. Which do y'all prefer? I like the the 68 unit as a throwback piece cuz it seems kinda funny to me, but the 69+ unit looks much better IMO and I also think cheaper to install as those lil clips are expensive.

Car is all factory stuff but upgraded where I deemed it necessary, such adding as PDB and PS so I put this in the same category.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Choose as you like. I keep all of mine as they were delivered in the visual category.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I vote for the screen. Most 69's had it as well. I personally don't like the look of the plastic on the 68's , but it is your car . Easy enough to swap either way.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I am in the minority, I went with the plastic. I like the look of the plastic over the chicken wire, I think it looks cleaner............

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

depends on whether you want original look or the later plastic . It's your car.

My 69 is original and has the screen.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm keeping the screen. Actually, it's the lack of 'plastic stuff' on the '68 that causes me to slightly prefer it over the later models..as more and more plastic started showing up in the interiors and so on. The '68 is the perfect combination of old and new.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think a screen in good condition better matches the 68-9's. If you're lucky you may find blood stains from a prior mechanic on it too. :O

Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with plastic on mine. The screen is currently on duty hanging on the wall.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m for the screen, even though it once almost killed me.

I jabbed my finger with a broken wire from a screen years ago. Went in far enough that I had to actually pull it out of my finger. Some paper towel and electrical tape and went back to work. (Think I left the blood on the screen.) Shoot ahead 3-4 days and my finger started to really swell, so I decided to finally go to the doctor. He notices a faint red line going from my finger up my arm to my shoulder. Tells me if that gets to my heart I am probably dead. He pumped about 4 shots in me and I was on pills for a month.

Moral of the story – use the screen, but if you have one my old ones - paint over the blood. (and wear gloves)

Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that is scary!

Never took the "plastic free-ness" of the 68 into account before. Plus, I get to show off the fancy wiper motor protector I restored!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post

I jabbed my finger with a broken wire from a screen years ago. Went in far enough that I had to actually pull it out of my finger. Some paper towel and electrical tape and went back to work. (Think I left the blood on the screen.) Shoot ahead 3-4 days and my finger started to really swell, so I decided to finally go to the doctor. He notices a faint red line going from my finger up my arm to my shoulder. Tells me if that gets to my heart I am probably dead. He pumped about 4 shots in me and I was on pills for a month.

Moral of the story – use the screen, but if you have one my old ones - paint over the blood. (and wear gloves)
I bet those screens were Cadmium plated, and Cadmium is very poisonous I believe. Blood poisoning could have been the problem.

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman-68 View Post
I bet those screens were Cadmium plated, and Cadmium is very poisonous I believe. Blood poisoning could have been the problem.
Hmmm – never gave that any thought. Just figured it was the dirt getting pushed in.

On second thought – use the plastic!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I went with plastic on mine. The screen is currently on duty hanging on the wall.
I'm with David Jones. I have the original screen hanging in my garage while my car has the plastic repro. on it. The screen just looks like a cheap afterthought but unfortunately it is the original equipment from the factory on my car.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Mine is a early 69 (10-69) and it has the metal mesh as original.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post

Every successful project of this type that I've ever completed had at least some of my blood in it. I don't mean like changing spark plugs but more like, restoring a car... I don't try to do it but as soon as it happens...I kinda think..."Hey, this is going to turn out good"...LOL

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to keep the original look then go with the screen. Otherwise use whatever you like the best.

Personally, I like the plastic for looks but I still keep the screens on my "orginal" cars.

FWIW my black 69 GTO is an 06C Pontiac built car and had the plastic on it when I bought the car in 1994. I wonder if there was a late year switch to the plastic in '69?

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Every successful project of this type that I've ever completed had at least some of my blood in it. I don't mean like changing spark plugs but more like, restoring a car... I don't try to do it but as soon as it happens...I kinda think..."Hey, this is going to turn out good"...LOL
I'm with Greg it's not a worth wile project unless there's BLOOD
Some pics of the original cowl screen
I used this original as a pattern and made about three of them out of some wire I bought at home depot.
Used one in the GTO and am getting ready to use the second in my Lemans project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0573x.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	234068   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0578x.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	234069  

I guess.......(Red Green)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 04B '69 Judge came with chicken wire.

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never even seen a plastic screen on any 69 and as far as I know it wasnt even available until 1970 and up.

The chicken wire does look awful bad and quite primative. I got cut real good some years ago on it too but luckily no blood poisoning. I never liked it and its difficult to remove when cleaning under it as well.

If your going the correct/concours route then put the nasty screen in otherwise do the plastic.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Senior Chief

my '68 GTO isn't numbers matching so I'm not too concerned about originality. I didn't like the look of the chicken wire much so I put the plastic screens in. looks good IMO