THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
PY VIP

Default V8 Engine Size - Gas Prices

Who would have thought.....we would be seeing gas prices that match numbers to V8 cubic inches from the muscle car era.

In my area I have seen gas for $3.89

Can $4.00 be far behind, or $4.21 or $4.55?

I had a truck with the 8.1 translation $4.94

I think Caddy built some 500 cubic inch engines...hope we don't se that or perhaps certain parts of the USA is already seeing $5.00 or more.

I already heard from a customer of ours in Canada its $5.50 per gallon up there.

For some people filling a 20-22 gallon tank will amount to a weeks paycheck.

My day gas ran about 27 cents to 32 cents per gallon.

Could have an awful affect on the economy should this drag into the summer.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The real crime hear is they have a glut of oil in storage that was bought at a much lower price they haven't even started to refine. But yet the finished product(gas,diesel,jet fuel) price is shooting sky high.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where i am it is $4.67 a gallon US size = 3.78 liters.
an imperial gallon is $5.61 a gallon = 4.54 liters
cost per liter $1.23.5
These numbers are for 87 octane.
If you want 94 add another 0.48 cents per gallon or 0.12 per liter.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got

Last edited by kate`s67gto; 03-05-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default v8Engine Size- Gas Prices

And in England it is $7.71 per us gallon with another price rise due next week so think yourselves lucky.Now you know why we have such small cars with ultra efficient engines & a large part of those are diesels.Incidentally diesel is more expensive than gas here so we suffer which ever we choose
Dave

Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Diesel is higher than gas here too. But your outrageous price is due to tax, Our tax is less than $1 a gallon. With most states around .50-.60 a gallon.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

Yes your quite right our outragous prices are due to tax but we still have to pay it come what may its not as though there are ways around having to pay it.The price at the pump is the price end of story.
Dave

Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 PM
PY VIP

I sold 2 of my cars to customers in England Turbo Regals....is it still true that your drivers license is good for like 50 years before you have to renew it?

Kinda makes you wonder how your photo will match up?

I admire all those in other countries that restore US muscle cars for the costs and duty fees and shipping fees involved. You really have to have a passion.

Hope you got your invite to the big wedding this spring over there.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

To answer your question about driving licenses.We have only had photo ID driving licenses for around 10years and they are now due for renewal after ten years prior to that when we had no photo ID licenses you never had to renew it.It just lasted until you died.
Dave

Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, just hope gas doesn't get up to the 572ci mark. My 72 Coupe Deville had one in it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 PM

There's no shortage of oil. This is simply price gouging. What frosts me is the current administration and congress is doing absolutely nothing about it. No drilling, no discussion of opening up use of the reserves. Even though every penny increase in gas prices takes ~$1.25B from other sectors of the economy.

If the man who resides at 1600 Pennsyvania Ave has his way we'll all be riding bicycles.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Dennis, just hope gas doesn't get up to the 572ci mark. My 72 Coupe Deville had one in it.
I think you mean 472. Unless it had an aftermarket engine.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 AM

Bad enough when gas prices rose past $2.15 (aluminum Buick V8, optional in the '61 -'62 Tempest), I sure wouldn't mind paying that now.

I remember when it first rose past the $2 mark about 10 years ago. I couldn't believe I was actually having to pay over $2 a gallon after watching it fluctuate between $1 and $1.50 for what seemed like 20 years.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Suspended

feel lucky you don't have a 855 or a 964 ( 16L ) like we do in the big trucks ... or worse a 645 per cylinder ( x16 or 24 ) like we did on the tugboats .

Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrahn View Post
There's no shortage of oil. This is simply price gouging. What frosts me is the current administration and congress is doing absolutely nothing about it. No drilling, no discussion of opening up use of the reserves. Even though every penny increase in gas prices takes ~$1.25B from other sectors of the economy.

If the man who resides at 1600 Pennsyvania Ave has his way we'll all be riding bicycles.

You touched on a point about the current administration and congress doing nothing strikes a cord for several other subjects but not sure if it would be permitted in this thread. I have done one in another forum what also is probably having some effect and we sit by and do nothing is the continued piracy and ransoms paid, and 600 plus hostages held, and 4 Americans killed while we simply denounce their deeds.

I don't want to say anymore since it touches on political but I think its something that 99% of the readers of this can agree on.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
feel lucky you don't have a 855 or a 964 ( 16L ) like we do in the big trucks ... or worse a 645 per cylinder ( x16 or 24 ) like we did on the tugboats .
While this is currently true lets hope it never happens in our lifetime. I remember when it hit a $1 a gallon which was ages ago that was a real milestone.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I think the old gas pumps back in the day of the GTOs where not set up for triple digits....

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Bad enough when gas prices rose past $2.15 (aluminum Buick V8, optional in the '61 -'62 Tempest), I sure wouldn't mind paying that now.

I remember when it first rose past the $2 mark about 10 years ago. I couldn't believe I was actually having to pay over $2 a gallon after watching it fluctuate between $1 and $1.50 for what seemed like 20 years.
In my immediate world Turbo Buicks 1984-1987 cubic inches is 231....(I run a similar thread in one of those forums).

You being in California, must be seeing some real jump in fuel prices. At least on our news they usually show fuel prices in California. Some of which are over $4.00 per gallon last week?

California usually leads the way....first with emissions related to cars. Won't be long before your legistrative body requires catalytic converters on lawn mowers over 5 hp.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
PY VIP

On the trickle down effect concerning fuel something I did not touch on......is not only will does it effect us on a daily bases at the pump but, air travel, companies that offer deliveries that ay have been free in the past will have a tacked on sur charge.

Any construction related business will be bumping prices to cover fuel costs.

People travel less....toll prices will increase to make up the difference. The list is endless.

Maybe just maybe the 1960s if you are my age was the good old days?

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its amazing,that in the Summer of '09, i was paying 1.40/gal for 87 octane. Now, it is 3.55/gal here in central Indiana. It blows my mind that our government cant see that this is probably the biggest strain on our economy. Most of us need gas to get back and forth to work and drive 30 min to an hour to work. I cant believe that there is ANY reason for gas to cost over 1.50/gal. Where is the cost increase for the gas companies? The percentage of low income people is alot higher than the percentage of people who can actually afford to pay these prices. And these are also the people that cant afford to put money elsewhere into the economy...thats why you see so many stores closing and other businesses, as well. Doesn't the Govt know that the "Trickle Down Theory" is reality? I know...Lets move all of our good paying jobs out of the country and let the oil companies price their product sky high so the "Average" guy can barely afford lawnmower gas.... That'll get the economy back on track!! And while we are at it, lets allow more illegal aliens come in and take as many jobs as possible without payin taxes...
Damn, i wish i woulda been born in 1949 instead of 1969!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the difference between conservatives and liberals.
Conservative. Trickle down wealth.
Liberal. Trickle up poverty.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Flynn View Post
Its amazing,that in the Summer of '09, i was paying 1.40/gal for 87 octane. Now, it is 3.55/gal here in central Indiana. It blows my mind that our government cant see that this is probably the biggest strain on our economy. Most of us need gas to get back and forth to work and drive 30 min to an hour to work. I cant believe that there is ANY reason for gas to cost over 1.50/gal. Where is the cost increase for the gas companies? The percentage of low income people is alot higher than the percentage of people who can actually afford to pay these prices. And these are also the people that cant afford to put money elsewhere into the economy...thats why you see so many stores closing and other businesses, as well. Doesn't the Govt know that the "Trickle Down Theory" is reality? I know...Lets move all of our good paying jobs out of the country and let the oil companies price their product sky high so the "Average" guy can barely afford lawnmower gas.... That'll get the economy back on track!! And while we are at it, lets allow more illegal aliens come in and take as many jobs as possible without payin taxes...
Damn, i wish i woulda been born in 1949 instead of 1969!
Appreciate your comments you hit on some good points especially about the segment of Americans that have to drive to and from work. Not everyone wants to drive a non descript econo box for some enjoyment comes from driving something nice when weather permits to offset the idea of having to drive to and from work.

I was born in 1947 you were close...in your estimation...my wife was born in 1949. What sticks in everyones throat is when they announce the huge profits these oil companies made in a given year billions and billions of dollars.

Hard to believe it was not that long ago fuel was $1.40 for 87....I don't think anything jumps this much in price so quickly one reason I guess gas stations went to electronic signs easier to change with a flip of a switch.

denniskirban@yahoo.com