Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Probably stupid question-66/67 exhaust onto a 70?

Someone is selling a complete 66/67 pypes 2.25 exhaust locally for $60. It is for a car with stock manifolds, but I have headers and can cut exhaust pipe. :-)
My question is, can this be used on a 70? Mainly worried about the fit over the rear axle. I know it isn't "right", but if it is usable it would help me get the car running much sooner.
Thanks,
Russ

Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A body exhaust is basically the same from 64-72, only difference is going to be your tailpipe exits/tips. 70-72 cars have the straight out tails that go into the cutouts in the rear valance for the quad tips. The bulk of it is all the same though.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM

I believe they use the same system. you can use the whole system just cut the down pipes from the 66/67 and weld flanges. if the system has the x pipe the only concern is that the old down pipe arangment will line up to your header collectors. I am sure if it is off you can either shorten or lengthen the segment that will adjust this alignment. if the system does have a X pipe the instulation may be a little further back than in a 68 and up car. (not sure) A tape mesure will assure all is good. As mentioned the tail pipes are different but that is not a big issue. The pypes system is designed to use OEM hardware so you are not going to have to figure too much out.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to cut about 3 inches out of the head pipes on the 66-67 system to make it fit the shorter wheelbase 68-72 cars (115"vs 112"). Other than that it fits fine, I just cut 3 inches out in the straight part of the head pipes (67 GTO)and butt welded the pipes back together lining up the seam on the tubing so it was indexed the same (70 GTO). If you can't see the tubing seam (rusty) I'd score a straight line about 5 inches long before I cut the 3 inches out. You need nice square cuts so the pipes are still on the same plane when re-attached. If you can't weld your gonna have a problem making them fit and looking like it wasn't butchered up.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-12-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, all.
If I get this I will be cutting them to fit the headers anyway, so that isn't a problem.
But with my luck the guy just sold it. He had a 3 inch system off of a 70 chevelle a while back for almost the same money, but he sold that really fast.Have to give him a call.
Russ

Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Shouldn't be a problem. I parted out a '72 GP and put the exhaust on a '64 Lemans, it fit the Lemans even better, no mods necessary.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the info.
supposed to meet him Saturday am.
This is the only time I really don't like working nights. Too hard to coordinate with day workers during the week.
russ