THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Indian motorcycles to make comeback

Polaris industries acquired Indian motorcycles today.
With the Indian heritage and the Victory engineering and manufacturing reputation this is gonna be huge. An affordable/reliable Indian would be well recieved in the market. Most importantly it also means that Indian will remain an American company and be totally AMERICAN MADE. It will be interesting to see what the Polaris/Victory engineers do for an engine as the Victory engine can't be run with a carb. I doubt the Indian market will be against fuel injection instead of carbs. On the other hand i doubt they will take to an ohc. One definate advantage is an already established dealer network.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that's interesting.

From what I've seen of both brands, the Victory is a much better bike than the recent versions of the Indian - it seems they've been in and out of business a number of times in the last decade.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Well, that's interesting.

From what I've seen of both brands, the Victory is a much better bike than the recent versions of the Indian - it seems they've been in and out of business a number of times in the last decade.
Once in my town. Lasted a coupla years, there were numerous QC complaints, especially with welds. Their 100-inch engine sounded sweet, though. It was kinda cool to see test riders on Indians on the roads every day.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad I don't work for Tucker Rocky anymore, My poor brother in law is going to have learn a whole new line of crap to warranty, then forget when they nix it.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bike MAY be assembled here but hardly all American made. Polaris just closed several plants and moved them to Mexico.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know they're just closing the one plant in Osceola. The rest of the US plants are still in operation as is the corporate headquarters in Medina, MN.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i hope they keep the indian styling, im not really to much into the victory styling, altho they do sound good and from what my neighbor says about his, they run good too,

Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 AM

Again?

I wish them luck, great looking bikes.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
As far as I know they're just closing the one plant in Osceola. The rest of the US plants are still in operation as is the corporate headquarters in Medina, MN.
Osceola dodged the ax they are keeping it open that was also posted on the Victory facebook page

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...InOsceola.aspx

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...otorcycle.aspx

Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw that in the local paper this morning. It's good the plant will stay open but they will have only about 50 people working there, instead of the hundreds that did work there in the past.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shamless Plug Alert

I think everyone should show support for their comback and buy a metal sign from OaklandTrading.com

http://www.oaklandtrading.com/advanc...tion=1&x=6&y=6

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't realize the latest incarnation of Indian uses the word Motorcycle - the original company, as well as the first few modern versions used Motocycle (no R.)

Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

Interesting. There is an Indian dealer that just opened a year or 2 ago around the corner from me. First one I've ever seen.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

New Indian? Hmm... they don't look anything like the Indian I had. But then, mine was a 1949.

... or has a Pontiac born the same year as Jim Wangers? (1926}