Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1961 Stainless Trim CLIPS

61 Bonneville Stainless Trim

Trim is ready to fasten on, just need clips and I think it's going to be a treasure hunt. Several different types, so I'll start a thread.

Let's start with the stainless nose cone trim on the front of the hood. Each side has 4 of the lower style clips and 2 of the upper style clips (total 8 & 4). I only have 2 good ones of each. Anyone know where to find these?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go try http://www.restorationspecialties.com/ and see if they have some.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for link. i've looked through that catalog before and they have some for the side moulding, but for the clips pictured above, i just looked again and..... it's 'go fish'....

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 PM

Four NOS upper radiator grille moulding clips of the type shown at the two inch mark on the tape measure in your photograph currently are available on an ebay auction. See auction number 310313138995. The auction includes a "Buy It Now" for $24.99. For what it is worth, another ebay auction - number 120707811455 - for a box of 100 of the same type of clip, also NOS, sold of $78.99 on April 11th.

The other upper radiator grille moulding clip in your photograph seems to be more difficult to find NOS.

Good luck in your hunt!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Back Channel. Did you post these for sale?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 PM

I have no connection to either of the two ebay auctions that I noted in my posting. I simply am passing along information that you and others may find useful.

Again, good luck!

Last edited by Back Channel; 04-21-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, i was trying to assemble a list of a bunch of different sources of clips and got discouraged. also didn't want to pay high $ for just a couple a clips at a time.

so, i measured up all the clips and sent a drawing of them to a friend with a laser cutter. cut out a sheet of clips from stainless, and got a box of stainless screws. i ground the top of the screws flat and tig welded them to the clip.

it really worked great. all the trim sucked right up to the body nice and tight and is super stout. way better than original. the original clips on my last 61 left the front tips of the spears off the body just a bit and could get snagged. only thing is, that it took quite a bit of prep to get this done. every clip had to bent just so in a vice, and most of them required a kiss with a grinder back and forth type thing.

if i did it again, i'd prob use some swedged flat headed screws to press in the holes and adjust the size of the cut for some of the grinding.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty slick! Looks like a lot of work, but now you don't have to worry about them again.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Pretty slick! Looks like a lot of work, but now you don't have to worry about them again.
by now, you know i'm a glutton for that!

i was left frustrated and incomplete trying to piece together the originals. also was a great excuse to have my friend show me how to use his tig. cool stuff!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Thay look great. You might wont to make more of them for other PY fokes that need them?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

definitely. computer file is saved, and each shape is indexed/cataloged for where it goes.

material, shipping, beer $ for cutter, maybe 10 day lead time, and an understanding that it takes some bending... might pencil out to ~$50? i'd have to ask to be certain on price, but anyone can just send msg if interested and i'll check it out.

be great to figure a better solution for tig welding in stainless screws. i also had to grind the head flat on backside of several of them to fit between clip and trim. can't find any low profile head screws that press into a hole (like a wheel lug bolt)?

the good news with all this work, is that the trim fastened on way better than i ever hoped.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonkey View Post
definitely. computer file is saved, and each shape is indexed/cataloged for where it goes.

material, shipping, beer $ for cutter, maybe 10 day lead time, and an understanding that it takes some bending... might pencil out to ~$50? i'd have to ask to be certain on price, but anyone can just send msg if interested and i'll check it out.

be great to figure a better solution for tig welding in stainless screws. i also had to grind the head flat on backside of several of them to fit between clip and trim. can't find any low profile head screws that press into a hole (like a wheel lug bolt)?

the good news with all this work, is that the trim fastened on way better than i ever hoped.
I used fillister head machine screws - drilled hole in stainless stock same diameter as the head then welded in when I made the end clips for Ventura trim

Factory clips for a '61 Ventura side trim are an all around PITA -

Dave B.

DJB_Rock_2005.jpg