Old 04-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Default 65 Convertible rear armrest install

Anybody installed new rear armrest covers on 65 gto convert.? Question How to remove old covers and install new. Like the kit Ames sells? Do it your self or take to a upholstery shop? Jon

Old 04-24-2011, 04:38 PM

I did mine and it isn't too bad. I used the Ames covers. There is cardboard between the metal and the covers. When I removed my covers the cardboard came apart with it. Some of the cardboard stayed on the metal some on the cover. I stripped all of the cardboard off the metal. I went down and bought some 1/8 inch sheet of foam material. I sprayed adhesive on the foam and let it dry. I then sprayed the inside of the cover and installed the cover. You will have to make some cuts and trimming on the new covers.

Last edited by veet66; 04-24-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went right over the original material on my '67 ragtop. It was in good shape, just the wrong color. I decided to leave it alone and just go on top of it. Been ok for 18 years now......

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM

I dropped off mine with the seats to get recovered.Everything came from Legendary.Turned out flawless.I figure there is some trimming and why not leave it to the guy who deals with it daily.