Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Default New rocker mouldings Install?

Hey everyone, I just got my new rocker Mouldings (the car never had them) and I was wondering if anyone knew how they fit on? The clips went on okay, but then I couldn't get the mouldings to fit on them right, as the clips seem to be on the rocker panels really flush. Any ideas? No directions came with them.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure you don't have them on backwards? The top lip on the factory clips extend away from the body a good bit and so is not at all a tight fit. The screws on the bottom keep the molding from falling off the clips.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
Are you sure you don't have them on backwards? The top lip on the factory clips extend away from the body a good bit and so is not at all a tight fit. The screws on the bottom keep the molding from falling off the clips.
The top DOES extend away a bit, it's the bottom that is flush to the rocker panel. I am almost wondering if you have to put the clip on loosely, slip the moulding on onthe bottom, tighten it and then snap it over the top? Weird, I'll see today when I get out of work. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure you have them on the right sides?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I searched around and this is the best picture I could find of an installed clip. The top extends away from the body and the bottom is pretty much flush. The rocker molding sits on top of the clips and is held in place by screws at the bottom of the molding that go up into the car body. The molding does not attach to the bottom of the clip. You will need to adjust the vertical position of the clips so that the molding can't ride over the top edge and come free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7519.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	245475  

Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I searched around and this is the best picture I could find of an installed clip. The top extends away from the body and the bottom is pretty much flush. The rocker molding sits on top of the clips and is held in place by screws at the bottom of the molding that go up into the car body. The molding does not attach to the bottom of the clip. You will need to adjust the vertical position of the clips so that the molding can't ride over the top edge and come free.
That was it!! I figured it out today after work. With the screws in on the ends, it's impossible for the Moulding to come off. They look great, and finish the car off nicely.

Thanks Y'all.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the screws on the ends help secure it. But you also have the brackets that "catch" the bottom of the trim and screw in under the car, right?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yes, they are supposed to screw in under the car. This reminds me that I still need to install mine...

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes the screws on the ends help secure it. But you also have the brackets that "catch" the bottom of the trim and screw in under the car, right?
Yes, all brackets are in and hold really well! Thanks!