Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Default 62 Wagon tailgate

Hello, on my 62 Bonne wagon, I can not get the glass down to open the tailgate, the exterior handle just spins, sometimes it acts like it is trying to catch something but the glass does not move. What do I need to do to gain access, and once I do what will I be looking for? I have ordered some manuals but they have not arrived yet. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try using the key on it. That is pretty much how it acts when it is "locked". Hopefully that is it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

Ok I will go and try it right now with the key in all positions, oh and it is a manual window, I forgot to mention that before. I will post again in a few minutes. Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Ok, no joy same thing, when I move to the locked position, the handle just free spins, and when unlocked it tries to grab a little but nothing happens, it just slips. What does ( fold ) mean? on the handle it has lock, fold, and open.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The manual handle will unfold so you can use it for a crank, then it tucks back onto itself and I'm assuming that's what they are calling the 'fold' position. My '67 has a manual window crank but isn't labeled as such.

As for the opening problem, Deadhead mentioned the most likely scenario...that it was locked. That's what my handle will do when locked. Unfortunately that probably means something in there is not turning with the lock mechanism or the knob on the inside that catches the crank has broken. Either way it looks like you'll be taking it apart. You're either going to have to remove the tumbler or go in through the inside tailgate panel if you can get it off with the gate up.

Since you said it grabs a little, the tumbler is most likely working and you've got some worn or broken pieces in there.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You will have to remove the sheetmetal panel(s) that is/are on the interior portion of the gate somehow. It wont be easy since you have to lie down in the cargo area, but at least with the window up you will be able to get to the regulator and other parts better to see what is going on. You'll need another person outside to crank while you watch from inside.

I have '63 manual window & it sounds to me like something in the lock/crank mechanism but it could be the regulator too. Splines could be stripped or something. If you can get the lock mechanism off, you might be able to operate with vice grips to get it so you can open gate. You will need to rig up some way to support the glass w/ gate down if you are going to do that though. Saw horses with blankets or something may work.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the advice, I guess this will need to wait a bit until it cools off, good news is I found the spare and it is holding air. The right front maypop, did just that the other day. The bad is I don't see the jack. Maybe it is in the well. Thanks again to all, this will be a project for sure, but I am excited!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It will take a while. I assume that '62 Bonnevilles are like the other years with carpet on the gate instead of rubber mat. That means you will have to take all of the carpet hold-downs and carpet off there too. You may need a right angle phillips to get to some of the lower screws with gate up. Not a job to do in there with high temps.

If you are going to replace carpet, you might want to do that at the same time. I bought mine from 1A auto in MA. They have ACC and will sell you an extra length of carpet you can use to do your cargo area. I think 60" is the longest section they sell. Just get whatever the longest length they have is. They only charge $20 or something like that for it. Use a 4 Door carpet for the rest. Only Diff is you have to cut a small piece to blend in next to the rear seat. Easy fun job that yields great results for not a lot of $.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Deadhead's advice is solid...and getting inside the tailgate with it up is usually a major PITA...sprinkle in Arizona in July and you have the makins for "going-postal" situation.

Please do not use a factory jack to raise the car...from my experience, they are very harsh on the bumpers (and they aren't cheap anymore!).

Old 07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Chief

I was only looking for the jack, so that if I would need it on the road, I would be good. Around the house I will use the floor jack. Thanks for the caution.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a scissor jack I carry with tools in a 1950s era suitcase down in the well. Looks totally geeky, so it fits perfectly.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

I went out early today to see what I could see, first off my car does not have a rear seat, just the well. With all of the hinged panels inside when the door is shut and the well is closed, how in the world do I gain access to that door? are there hidden hing screws under that carpet? I tried to open the well and did not have enough clearance to go that route. Maybe if I get the carpet off the fold down panel when the door opens I could get the well open. I have no idea if this would help me or not.

On the tailgate outer handle, on the part that the key slides into has a small indentation, is this what I need to knock out to remove the cylinder? Do I use a ice pick or something similar? Oh and I did spy a jack in there, as well as a mouse nest it looks like.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would it be possible to cut an access hole from the inside to reach the mechanism, and then weld it back closed after repair?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will not be able to get to the well until the gate is open. On mine, the entire front of the thing is covered by the gate and the angle increases to the inside as you go up the gate, so you would have to cut about 6" or more off the access door in order to get in there with the gate up. I don't think there are screws in the piano hinge at the front of the pane, but you might check that to see.

To get access to inside the gate you will have to remove the carpet etc. on the gate, then there is a metal panel(s) that come(s) off where you can get to the inside of the gate. It might be that there are a couple of screws on the bottom that are tough to get to, but I think with a right angle you should be able to get to them as the carpet and panels are inset into the gate about 3-4" off the bottom. Any strategic damage here could be covered by carpet or a replacement panel made.

I don't think removing the lock mechanism on the outside is going to get you to where you can figure out what the problem is unless you get lucky and can operate the regulator. If you get the cylinder out, the thing is going to be screwed on from the inside somehow. If I am not mistaken, the mechanism is round on a '62, making it even smaller than on later years. It is going to be hard as heck to access anything through that small hole. If you do get lucky, just roll the window down a couple of inches and you will be able to open the gate. Just make sure to have a way to protect/support the glass when you do.

The '62 body manual if there is one might be helpful. Maybe if you took off the bumper you could access hinge bolts and remove, but if it is latched and window is in the channel you risk tearing up more stuff as you attempt to wrestle it out. Less damage would be done by breaking the glass to start with IMO.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

I guess for now, I will leave well enough alone, and concentrate on more pressing matters. Thanks for all of your insight.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Chief

I forgot to mention before, with the tailgate closed, the panel that folds down across the hinge area (when the gate is open) is blocking my access to the carpeted panel attached to the front side or the interior side of the gate. I have been trying to figure out how to get that out of the way so I can access all the screws on the gate interior panel. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That thing has got a spring in the hinge. You have probably tried this, but you may be able to pull it into the car enough to access. It is not going to be fun, but it may come in enough. Might even have to remove the side panel where the wheel well is and the spare tire compartment. Totally nuts I know. One of my wagons has the spring flap bad, so it just flops in up against the wheel housing.

I guess the one saving grace for you is that it is not a power window that is bad!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Senior Chief

Now that the weather has cooled down a bit, I spent about a half hour cleaning up the rear section of the car so I could lay down. I removed some trim pieces from the top and sides of the window surround, and that really did not help anything. I removed the metal trim piece that sits on the very top of the door when it is closed so I could see the 4 bolts that attach the widow to the regulator. I gave each bolt a good hit with my palm and a screw driver in a down wards motion. When I tried the window crank it had tension on it instead of the slipping I have always felt before. I was able to start working the window up and down many times until I could get it fully opened. Next I started to spray everything with WD-40. I was able after a while to get the tail gate opened and clean out the well. No treasures just a couple of bumper jacks.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
When I tried the window crank it had tension on it instead of the slipping I have always felt before. I was able to start working the window up and down many times until I could get it fully opened. Next I started to spray everything with WD-40.
Your Bonne has a MANUALLY operated tailgate window? Since WD-40 won't last, I would add some "red grease" before you button it back up: http://store.triflowlubricants.com/p....54587.0.0.0.0 ...I like this stuff over lithium grease and it's in an aerosol can for reaching tough areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
I was able after a while to get the tail gate opened and clean out the well. No treasures just a couple of bumper jacks.
Parts of the Safari bumper jacks are not like the other body styles - if you have TWO complete units you should have an easy time finding a buyer for your second one.

Last edited by Engine-Ear; 10-10-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: eliminated an inintentional pun
Old 10-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Senior Chief

Yes my bare bones Bonneville wagon has only 2 options and they might not be an option. P/S and P/B are the only options, I think if you ordered a Bonneville you got these. I have seen many Catalinas with many more options. This is why I never ordered a PHS for the car, nothing special.