Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default Alternator- Switching from External to Internal

So, I finally got my 94 amp internal regulated alternator today. The only problem is I took the wiring apart about 6 months ago. Now I am confused as to which wires go where and where they come from....
Specifically, the Orange wire in this diagram:

http://wallaceracing.com/alt-conversion.html

I see its coming from the junction block, but what is the junction block? Is this the relay looking thing that sits on my radiator support?

I have my brown wire ready to be connected to the white, but i dont have a clue where the Orange wire went? Or what I was thinking 6 months ago...Anybody know?
THanks,
Ozzy.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The battery positive circuit from the starter or junction box needs to go to the threaded terminal on the back of the alternator and a jumper from there to the larger wire inthe alt connector. The brown wire should go to your alt light bulb output circuit so when the engine is off and ignition is on there will be 12 at the brown wire and the alt regulator will ground the circuit turning the light on . After the engine starts and the alt starts to make output the brown wire then gets 12 volts from the alternator and there is no ground so the light goes out.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The orange wire in the diag just shows how to make the connection at the old reg harness....it's not necessarily orange.

Here's what to do:

At the old reg harness, jump the two inside wires together, (terms 2 and 3), and jump the outside wires together, (terms 4 and F).

At the alternator: get the proper connector type for the new alt, usually available in the HELP section at auto stores...... connect the old blue wire from the old alt connector to the terminal that mates with terminal 1 on the new alt, and connect the old (usually black with white stripe) wire to the alt terminal 2.

Connect the large output cable to the alt output stud.

Done.

George

George

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The real issue is that I can't trace down the wires...
I followed the brown wire to the harness connection on the firewall, but I don't know where the orange wire comes from?
2002, are you saying I can run a positive wire which connect to the blue wire?

George, I foolishly cut the wires off the regulator a long time ago, so I can't jump them together..I know I know..stupid of me, but things came up and I didn't finish my project 6 monthss ago like I should have...

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, you can certainly connect the wire ends together in the proper way since they are cut. You do need to locate them however.

Alternatively, you can find the brown idiot lite wire at the bulkhead connector and extend it to the new alt terminal 1. You can also run a short jumper from the alt output stud to alt terminal 2. Done.

A better connection for terminal 2 is from that terminal to the battery positive, thru a fuse, if you can't find the original wire that went to the old reg term3. The reason is alt term 2 is the sense point for the internal reg, and the best sense point is at the battery so it controls battery voltage.

Ignore the "orange" wire references if you rewire per the above, there is no original orange wire in that circuit.

George

Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok i bought the connector at NAPA. I feel much more confident, it comes with a 10GA red wire and a white 14GA? wire.
Can i plug the red wire to my remote starter for a good battery reading? My battery is in the trunk so i'd much rather not run a wire to the trunk?

Ozzy

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The closer electrically the sense wire is to the battery, the better the battery voltage regulation.

In your case the starter junction may be a decent compromise...make sure the wire is away from heat sources.

Try an experiment...with reasonable heavy electrical loads, measure the voltage at the alt and at the battery and see what the difference is. If the main connection to the loads is near the alt, the voltage difference will be low... if the main connection is more towards the battery, the voltage difference will be greater and ideally the sense point should be closer to the main junction.

George