Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Quadrajet shopping guide

I've got a much neglected 68, which currently has what I think of as my "young, impressionable, and vanity" carb, which is an 800 Holley double-pumper. Since I'm old(er), more rational, and no longer convinced of my infallability, I think I'd like to swap it out for a Quadrajet. The intake is a spread-bore factory iron. I'm not sure what year, but it's pre-emissions change because the exhaust crossover doesn't match the 76 400 it's on.

I have a spare 73 400, for which I have the Q-jet, but it's in pretty rough shape. It looks like they let it sit out in the weather for years before I got it. It might be salvageable.

I'm seeing Q-jets of unknown provenance on Craigslist for about $30, which seems very reasonable. That being said I don't know what indicates a "good" carb versus one that's "used up".

I'm not overly concerned with getting a high-performance model as it will spend some time on the essentially stock 76 until I build the new motor, which will be a low to mid-range build.

Here's a listing with a picture, maybe something can be determined from that. http://lincoln.craigslist.org/pts/3088501084.html

If anyone can give me some guidance on what to shop for it would be appreciated.

Bill

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Stay with a q-jet ca not go wrong. Rebuild yours just buy good parts, over the counter stuff is 50% junk.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would stay period correct and use a Pontiac carburetor as well. The non Ram Air units are still plentiful, and not too expensive as cores.

Avoid the carb in the CL add, it is an "oddball" 1975 unit, about the worst one to start out with for what you are doing.

Using a Pontiac carburetor means everything fits, linkage, fuel line, type of choke, vacuum ports, etc......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM

So how do I tell if it's a period correct Q-jet if the seller doesn't know? How do I tell if it's beyond rebuilding (if that's possible)?

Or do you mean just rebuild the 73 I've got? I really don't know that it's salvageable. What are the factors I should look for to evaluate it?

I really haven't looked at a carb in years, and I only re-kitted a few of them.

As far as hookups, this was an originally a 2-bbl car (special order low-compression 2bbl GTO) so basically nothing hooks up like it should.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you re using a pre-'73 cast iron intake then you need a pre-'73 carburator. If you use a '73 or later carb at least you can convert it to electric choke. The '72 has a unique choke on the crossover although I think you can fin it on ebay or repro. Otherwide the '67-'71 divorced chokes are all the same. Go to CarbsUnlimited and type in the carb part number and it'll tell you the original application. If your air cleaner base has a hole cut in it for the vent then look for a '71 or '72 model. if it doesn't then avoid them.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills68 View Post
So how do I tell if it's a period correct Q-jet if the seller doesn't know? How do I tell if it's beyond rebuilding (if that's possible)?

Or do you mean just rebuild the 73 I've got? I really don't know that it's salvageable. What are the factors I should look for to evaluate it?

I really haven't looked at a carb in years, and I only re-kitted a few of them.

As far as hookups, this was an originally a 2-bbl car (special order low-compression 2bbl GTO) so basically nothing hooks up like it should.

Bill,
If it's not smashed to pieces then it's most likely rebuildable.

We see some pretty nasty units here more so than not.
Jeff

Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM

I dug out the 73 Q-jet when I got home, and it's not as bad as I remembered. Pretty dusty, and the inside is black, but I think some carb cleaner will take care of that. I have an Edelbrock aircleaner and I think it has a knockout for the bowl vent.

Here's the patient:

It's calibrated for a 73 400, with an auto transmission. I would think it would work with a 76 without a recalibrating. I'll have to pick up Cliff's basic kit and his book.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills68 View Post
I dug out the 73 Q-jet when I got home, and it's not as bad as I remembered. Pretty dusty, and the inside is black, but I think some carb cleaner will take care of that. I have an Edelbrock aircleaner and I think it has a knockout for the bowl vent.

Here's the patient:

It's calibrated for a 73 400, with an auto transmission. I would think it would work with a 76 without a recalibrating. I'll have to pick up Cliff's basic kit and his book.
Well Doctor, I think your patient is going to live but as you said get your book and parts and have at it.

The gas has changed many time since 1973 so you are going to have to recalibrate it to some degree.

So it's a good idea to measure everything up, check the sideplay of the primary shaft, test the well plugs.