Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Q-Jet vacuum port question

I have a 1976 Q-Jet (17056262) that I am fixing up to go on a 1969 428, but I was wondering if anyone knows which vacuum port the circled item is supposed to connect to?
Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P5221986.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	294645  

Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM

That's the choke pull-off, and I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it's probably going to be plumbed pretty much the same across the GM fleet. Will check my 77 Ventura (granted, not the same motor and it's just a Rochester 2 barrel) but it'll at least give you a data point.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 AM

OK, for what it's worth, here's what I found for my application: I've got two vacuum diaphrams as well, one is connected to the fast idle cam and the one in question hooked up to the choke... both of these connect directly to dedicated fittings in the base of the rear of the carb. Not quite what I was expecting, but this was a one-owner car that was kept very original, so I believe it's correct.

Vacuum diagram out of the Pontiac factory service manual might help as well, I have one for the 1977 model year... if time permits I can look there too. But hopefully another member will have an original 76 carb still installed on their ride...

Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ro View Post
OK, for what it's worth, here's what I found for my application: I've got two vacuum diaphrams as well, one is connected to the fast idle cam and the one in question hooked up to the choke... both of these connect directly to dedicated fittings in the base of the rear of the carb. Not quite what I was expecting, but this was a one-owner car that was kept very original, so I believe it's correct.

Vacuum diagram out of the Pontiac factory service manual might help as well, I have one for the 1977 model year... if time permits I can look there too. But hopefully another member will have an original 76 carb still installed on their ride...
Thanks a lot for the information. If you happen to find the diagram it would be interesting to see. I was thinking it might connect to the tree that comes off of the back of the base plate that also runs the power brakes.
Thanks for looking,
Dale