Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default McCarty crash

Anybody see where McCarty crashed in Indy and smacked the wall a few times. They announced that he is OK. Said engine let go about 1,000 foot mark.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Suspended

First i heard, ware can i find details about it???

Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Senior Chief

Sad news! He's good people and a hell of a racer! Glad he's OK. Hopefully the car didn't get too trashed out in the wreck..
BROWNSBURG, Ind. - Super Stock driver Stacy McCarty, Indianapolis, was not injured in a one-car accident during qualifying for the 58th annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals.
The accident came during Wednesday's first qualifying session.

McCarty's '05 Pontiac Grand Am appeared to suffer major engine damage about 1,000 feet into his qualifying run, with smoke coming from the car, followed by a flash fire at the finish line.

Oil from the engine apparently got under the tires as the car crossed the finish line at 121 mph and the car went fron the right lane across the track, hitting the left wall.

The impact overturned the car, which then spun and slid down the track for several hundred feet before coming to a stop.

Driver Kevin Helms, Schriever, Louisiana, was in the left lane, but crossed the finish line ahead of McCarty and was not involved in the accident.

McCarty did not appear to have any serious injuries and was assisted from the car by Safety Safari personnel.

Last edited by Milepost; 08-30-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting Ken and Milepost. Hope he really is ok. Not a good way to end a season. Hope they can get to the root cause resolve it and get back to racing next season.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One word......DIAPER! A diaper could very well have saved him from hitting the wall.

Hope Stacy is OK! Really bad deal.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to hear that. Glad he is ok.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dam...Lynn will probly report in 2nite or 2maro.
Glad Stacys all rite.
Good people.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about Stacy's crash.

I would think they were running a diaper?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Ya, I thought it was mandatory now?

I'm glad Stacy is OK, I hate to hear that anyone wrecked.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Diapers are mandatory......I really hate hearing that. I'm glad to hear stacey is ok.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill and I have had diapers for just over four years. To date no tech person has ever mentioned a diaper and when pointed out that I have a diaper the response is something like - OK.

Diapers are not mandatory at most tracks and scantion bodies. Lots of talk about it but not much action. Just finished up the NMCA race and there was no mention of diapers on any car. Personally I think every car that has a blower, turbo, or NOS should be required to have a diaper. Also any car quicker than 10 seconds or faster than 135 MPH should be required to have a diaper.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless it has changed - Stock and Super Stock were NOT required to have a diaper

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Unless it has changed - Stock and Super Stock were NOT required to have a diaper
I was wrong! All other classes it is (diaper/engine retaining device/engine retension device)mandatory.Even 10.90 S/ST BUT the way I understand it, it was "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" that stock and super stock used one or that it was left up to the track....
I was also told by tech guys in Topeka if I wanted to run the Summit racing series ET finals I had "Better have one one the car"That was for pro and super pro.But IMO if anyone makes the trip to the finals I really don't think they wouldn't let ya run because you didn't have one.I think it would be one of those things they would encourage you to get for next year.

The diaper topic was a hot topic at the beginning of the race season. All I know is I had to get one to chase the division.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't race an ET finals for two years. But I've never been questioned at tech about a diaper and I know of many super pro racers who don't have diapers.

Diapers should be mandatory for the classes I listed above. Stock and Super Stock have gotten away with not having to comply with basic NHRA rules because they are Stock and Super Stock and a different set of rules. That is BS.......basic rules need to be written and enforced for every car regardless of class entered.

And you are correct. The diaper topic has been hot for a number of years......lip service with no action.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron, I agree totally with you.

The problem I always saw was the racers bitching because they would have to have a blanket made or hard to fit on their car.
Always bunch of whiners.

But when a wreck does happen, they blame the sanctioning body for not doing anything?

I believe a lot of fast racers use a blanket for their own satisfaction/safety.

Now for Stacy's accident I never saw any pics or videos, but wonder if it wasn't a tranny letting go?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that sucks.
good to hear that no one was hurt

Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car is a chassis car with front and mid plates, engine limiter, -12 hose from the oil pan to the driver side valve cover, and a billet fab pan. I bought a standard big block diaper from DRE. Received it, took a few pictures, took a few dimensions, and marked where holes needed to be made for the engine limiter and -12 line and sent it back. Charged me an extra $20.00 to modify the diaper and it has been on the car ever since.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Stacy's very fast engine is fine and was on a very fast run when apparently the Lokar transmission dipstick tube popped out and oiled the tires sending the car into the wall at about the 1000 foot mark. I have never approved of this device and will send a letter to NHRA next week expressing my concerns as it is a very commonly used device in NHRA.

Stacy suffered a broken sacrum and a cracked Lumbar and was released from the Hospital on the same day. He is very sore and beat up but fine, thank you folks for the kind words.

Mike Pustelny from MPR race cars came by and said the car suffered minor structural injuries and will be fully repairable. We plan to prepare for the next season with the new 406 cubic inch RAV built by Tony Bischoff at BES Racing engines next year.

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Damn Lynn that's just bad luck...

I'm glad Stacy wasn't hurt worse and that the car can be repaired.

Are you running this weekend?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So now we need trans diapers too? The nhra must not be "in" yet with a diaper company or they would be mandatory on everything.