Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Default Rear suspention, any thoughts?

Ok here we go. My 72 Ventura is an original straight 6 so it has the mono leaf set up. Bushings were shot and leafs were sagging badly. When removing the leaf springs I had to cut a lot of the bolts due to rust so I ordered all new hardwear (u-bolts, clip nuts, bolts, axle pads, etc.) Also I have already ordered and received Prothane bushings with shackles. So now here is my dilemma. Re-arching the springs will be $140, new monos are $251 from Classic Industries. For the extra hundred new ones would be the way to go but then I started thinking about going to multi leafs. One post in this forum said that you have to change the perch to go to multi or purchase the kit from DEI ($90 for two small blocks of steal is kinda ridiculous). Then I read on the Classic Industries site, "Original single rear leaf springs can be replaced with multi leaf springs by simply replacing the U-bolts and adding shock extenders which allow the springs to set correctly." What is a shock extender? Not going that much higher with a four leaf spring, should be enough travel in the stock shock I would think. Then I read on the Eaton Spring web site that mono leafs are dangerous. Not sure I believe that. Also there is the issue of axle wrap but a pair of slappers or some caltracs will fix that.

So do I try to return all the hardwear and bushings (not sure I can got them a month ago) and get multi leafs, buy the correct bushings and hardwear for them and figure out what the best way to convert is or just buy a new set of mono leafs and add on the caltracs later on. The car will be under 400hp and be used on the street. I'm just not sure what the best way to go is.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never dealt with the mono leaf (although I seriously doubt the "dangerous" statement), but I replaced the multi-leaf springs in my 74 GTO with re-arched springs, and I have been happy with them. They were supposed to be from a 73 or 74 Nova, but I'm not so sure, because they have an extra leaf. I had to make a spacer to fit them to my car, and used the original U bolts and hardware. It seems to work well. Mine sits higher than stock because of the extra spring, but that's OK with me.

A shock extender is a bracket that goes between the top of the shock and the body to give more overall length to the shock. I had to use a set on my 67 Executive wagon, because I have the "coil-over" shocks, and they didn't make them long enough, so I picked up a set of extenders from either Summit or Jeg's. I have heard of people having problems with these breaking (they are just an aluminum spacer, essentially), but I have had mine for 5 or 6 years with no issues.

I would think your stock shocks would work, since I used stock shocks on my 74 with the extra leaf in the springs.

Sorry I can't help with your specific questions about fitting multi leaf in place of mono leafs....

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

I have done all this in the past both ways and it does create issues; but I don't remember any of my fixes at this point, my mind is in rough shape.

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Hoog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Well I returned the mono bushing set and traded up for a multi leaf set. Bought a pair of 4 leaf springs from Ground Up. Decided to deal with the spring perch as I will be eventually swapping the rear out anyway for a posi. Get the right perches then.

Anyone know if you have to get the metal sleeve that is welded into the frame out to get the new poly bushings in, or do they slide into those? I'm talking about where the shackle mounts to the frame.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

Should be two pieces bushings. When you take the bolt out the hangers should fall out of the way and then take your old bushings out. It's been awhile since I did mine but that seems right.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

I got the old bushings out and the new one is two pieces. It looks as tho there is a metal sleeve in the frame. Not sure if I have to get that out or try to force the new bushing inside of it. I will run out there and take a picture.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...psc6c7e644.jpg
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...psa6be4d01.jpg
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...ps957351e3.jpg

Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Know if that is part of the frame or if that was part of the original bushing? Kinda looks welded on.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Chief

Thats part of the frame. New bushing should go in with light press. You can add some lube to help push them in.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Oh ok. Yea its pretty crudded up as you can see. Was a little hard to tell. Thanks for the info stu72. They were a PITA to get out. Install starts tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
They were a PITA to get out. Install starts tomorrow.
And they can be a PITA to get in depending on what kind of bushing you have. Clean that sleeve the best you can and grease the bushing. If possible put the bushings in a freezer overnight. You'd be surprised how much that can help.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM

Ordered new shocks for the multi leaf set up. Unfortunately they mount differently than the shocks for the mono setup. Now I have to get the multi shock plate. Hopefully that works out.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Suspended

Along with putting the bushings in the freezer , if you use a long bolt with a large fender washer on either side of the bushing & then use the bolt as a pusher to put the bushing in. Just tighten done the not on one side & it will pull/push the bushing into the bracket hole. Also make sure you use a lot of grease so it will slide in easy. DON"T USE AIR to put the bushing in it will tear them up. Just go slow & tighten it a little at a time so the bushing will slide in by the pressure or you will damage the bushing if you try to go to fast. Slow & steady & it will go in. Make sure you use fender washers , you know the ones that are big around so it covers the entire bushing so it will push the entire bushing & not just a part of it . Go slow & it will go in. USE HAND TOOLS ONLY> It will take longer but you won't damage the bushing.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Thanks guys went right in no problem. Can't believe I didn't think of using a bolt and washer. Seems so simple looking back on it lol.