Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Default rear brake drums, do not buy AcDelco!

I got 2 AcDelco rear drums for my 68 GTO today. Opened the boxes and I was shocked. The drum on the right has a dent in it as if a balance weight was put on in the wrong spot and removed,[the dark spot]. In addition to that, there are cracks all along the drum near the outside edge that were filled with a gray epoxy. This was not only on the ouside of the drum but also on the inside on both drums. The drum on the left was so out of balance they welded 3 weights that took up half the circumference of the drum!They are going back needless to say. Not every thing that is made in China is junk but these are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad drums.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	297497   Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked dented.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	297498   Click image for larger version

Name:	heavy weight.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	297499  

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Delco is not even close to what it once was.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

My family owns 5 parts stores and AC Delco is our top brand to sell as far as "the best" goes. Our absolute best brand is Wagner as far as brakes goes. The issue you have is very uncommon for Delco parts. I'm almost thinking someone has changed out the product from a different brand as I have see the same thing in our Wagner brand.

Take them back to your parts store and demand for another set of what you bought, or request the best Wagner or Rayobestos drums available.

Again, Delco is one of the best you can buy as far as original type parts. Don't let this one thing brand the name for you.

~Joe

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Kokamo, I would like to tell myself that these were 2 bad drums out of many good ones but I am not sure that's the case. Open some boxes at your stores and see what you find for this application. Please let me know what you discover.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Chief

Post a part numer you were given and I'll double check it in the AM when I get to work. If I have some nice ones I might be able to work out a deal with ya. We get one hell of a deal on Delco parts. As a matter of fact, AC Delco gave our company 8 or 10 (cant remember exactly) all paid for trips to somewhere...simply because we were their "top" client to sell "xxxxxx" amount of stock. Was pretty cool, but sadly I was not able to go anywhere at the time.

Lemmie know those numbers.

~Joe

Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have bought counterfeit parts....there are plenty of counterfeit
parts out there with AC/Delco packaging. That being said, now when I open an AC/DELCO box at my car repair facility it usually says something like made in Vietnam,
made in Karakistan, made in China, made in Peru. Can't remember the last time an A/C
Delco box said made in USA.....must have been at least twenty years ago.