Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Turning my restoration over to a pro?

I've come to the realization that if I ever want to drive my car anytime soon, I think I need to send it out to be professionally done.

Since the body, paint chassis and motor are complete, its basically an assembly job.
I've taken great care to label and photo everything, but...

Its been in this condition for a few months now:

I've come to the realization that I don't have the patience or skill for all the fiddly bits and I dont want to hack this thing back together. The past few jobs, hanging exhaust, running fuel and brake lines have been frustrating and have not turned out well as I'd like.
Its only going to get more important for the interior and under hood components to be right.
So,
At this point I'm looking for some input about choosing a shop.

I'd like to keep it some what local to St Louis or at the furthest, still in the midwest and this place seems legit:

http://www.precisioncarrestoration.com/

Anyone have some good reccomendations?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish you luck. Good help is hard to find

Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh man so close, I wish my car was that far along. I know what you mean though, "If you want to drive it anytime soon".
Good luck finding a shop. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMHO, Scott's place is worth the 8 hour drive . . .

http://www.manta.com/c/mmyw5mx/supercar-specialties-inc

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunas73TA View Post
I've come to the realization that if I ever want to drive my car anytime soon, I think I need to send it out to be professionally done.

Since the body, paint chassis and motor are complete, its basically an assembly job.
I've taken great care to label and photo everything, but...

Its been in this condition for a few months now:

I've come to the realization that I don't have the patience or skill for all the fiddly bits and I dont want to hack this thing back together. The past few jobs, hanging exhaust, running fuel and brake lines have been frustrating and have not turned out well as I'd like.
Its only going to get more important for the interior and under hood components to be right.
So,
At this point I'm looking for some input about choosing a shop.

I'd like to keep it some what local to St Louis or at the furthest, still in the midwest and this place seems legit:

http://www.precisioncarrestoration.com/

Anyone have some good reccomendations?
IMHO, stay the course and finish it yourself. If you brought the car that far along, you likely have the ability. I would not assume that a general restoration shop knows Pontiacs or TAs (especially early ones) and is going to be as discriminating on the details as you yourself might be.

I am just about ready to fire my 71 and as I look back, two of the things I fought with the most were the fuel and brake lines and the exhaust. Lots of crawling in and out from under the car to measure, cut, bend fit, etc. Once you are done under there the topside stuff usually goes a lot better.

If you want to speed it up, you could outsource a few projects like having and interior shop do your seats, headliner, etc. But, I would keep your car in your own garage and keep full control of the rest of the project since it looks like you are so close. I have seen too many musclecar dreams turn into nightmares once they go into a shop. Maybe just step away a take a break and come back to it a bit later.

Last edited by 68bird400HO; 09-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really don't believe that a HIGH QUALITY shop like Tieman's would take on a job like this. I don't believe that most shops would want to put thier name on something that they really don't know of the underlieing quality.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with 68. You've come this far... Just don't overwhelm yourself with the overall picture. Tackle it one step at a time. Besides, that way, when you're done, you can say you did it all yourself.

No offense to shops who are good, but at times I've seen better work from "amateurs". Not all professionals are truely that. A lot of it has to do with inherent talent and mindset.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

I agree I'd get it to at least a runner roller and then maybe have a shop do a final fitment \tuning. I've worked with a few on mine and its been alot of work paying people to do the work. Some things they have done better than I could other things like my exhaust are awful very frustrating.

Not only that, take whatever they say its going to take time wise and multiple it by 1000 and listen to them complain on how cheap they are doing it for you. I have a guy that I TRUST which is hard to find. But he has the same case of Itwillbnextweekalitous like everyone else.. he means well but you can't plan around it all. That said if you were in the northwest I would recommend him.

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
1973 Formula 4spd long term project
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats left doesnt need a major shop but maybe two different ones. Have one finish up the exterior and another to handle the interior. Your this far just subcontract out the rest and be done.
Good luck Chuck and if I think of some options will PM yahhhhhh
Cheers!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
IMHO, stay the course and finish it yourself. If you brought the car that far along, you likely have the ability. I would not assume that a general restoration shop knows Pontiacs or TAs (especially early ones) and is going to be as discriminating on the details as you yourself might be.

I am just about ready to fire my 71 and as I look back, two of the things I fought with the most were the fuel and brake lines and the exhaust. Lots of crawling in and out from under the car to measure, cut, bend fit, etc. Once you are done under there the topside stuff usually goes a lot better.

If you want to speed it up, you could outsource a few projects like having and interior shop do your seats, headliner, etc. But, I would keep your car in your own garage and keep full control of the rest of the project since it looks like you are so close. I have seen too many musclecar dreams turn into nightmares once they go into a shop. Maybe just step away a take a break and come back to it a bit later.
Words to heed. Wish I was closer to help, Just do one little project at a time!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Call Steve Schappaugh @ My Musclecar Memories in Nebraska. He would be worth the drive. He does fantastic work and he knows Pontiacs inside and out, especially 2nd gen birds.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
Call Steve Schappaugh @ My Musclecar Memories in Nebraska. He would be worth the drive. He does fantastic work and he knows Pontiacs inside and out, especially 2nd gen birds.
I would second that. If he would do it you would be happy

Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
I would second that. If he would do it you would be happy
X3!

Why didn't I think of Steve - my bad!

Steve's THE man on 2nd gen 'bird restos!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might be makeing a smart move. When my car was in that condition it did seem to take forever to get it finished.

On the other hand it seems like the worst is behind you at this point.

Last edited by rohrt; 09-27-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To me this is the fun part! It's just like assembling a 1:1 scale model kit. And you already have the windshield in with no giant glue fingerprints on it. :-)

And I see you even have the "shin-breaker" pads taped on the frame horns. Smart man!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

Yes, the shin guard was installed after a visit by a "knobby knee'd partier" wandering into the wrong room! (She should have gotten stitches)

My plan was to get a few more things finished up so that when I do "farm a few things out" or have it completly done, it will be easier to transport or at least not have stuff fall off on the way.

Steve's place in Nebraska looks like a great place to do the work.
Thats exactly the info I was looking for.

It's this forum that has gotten me this far, and I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here.
I'll keep you guys updated when something happens.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, I'm no pro....but I've gone from this.....

To this.....

All I've got left is some interior work and sorting out a little more wiring...car drives fine.

Just take it one job/step at a time......chip away at it, it'll happen. Labour cost at a shop will chew up a lot of money.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM

good job on yours leigh maybe if you had another hand helping you it will go way faster
imo you are on the down stroke just keep goin

original ca car
Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks again for the heads up about Steve's place in Nebraska.
I spoke with him a few weeks ago and he seems like the perfect guy to finish it off.
Any way, I'm still moving forward with the major parts just to make it easier to get it there:

Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great job! Keep in mind body work, fit is done from REAR to front. Youll need to lower or raise the drop ( spacers bottom of core support) on the core support to get the fender gaps... looks good from here!