Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM

Default After market A/C 67 GTO

I am planning to have an after market A/C unit installed soon. Living in GA I am more concerned with great cooling than the price of the unit.

Could anyone recommend units and cost they have used in hot climates?

Thanks and Happy New Year !
Brad

Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to MG12692

Im in the process of installing the Vintage Air sure fit kit in my firebird. Evaporator fits like a glove and the other components seemed to be of nice quality. Pretty straight forward directions and nice wiring harness. This is the second kit I have had experience with and the first still blows cold and was installed in 04'

Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not my car, but I talked with an original owner of a '65 GTO that had factory AC from new. He had changed it over to Vintage Air. He said the original AC was ok up to about 90 degrees ambient air temp, but on 105 degree days, wouldn't cut it. He said the Vintage Air cooled much better, even on 110+ days. It was also a lot less clutter underhood. Every one I've seen I've been impressed with, and have heard nothing but great reviews. The install is clean, even on non AC cars, and the unit works great, as well. I don't have one, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Vintage Air unit.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM

Ok. Vintage air it is.

Thanks and Happy New Year !

Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Gen IV Vintage Air on a 67 GTO and it works really good and I dont have tinted windows. I was going to tint them again after restoring the car because I didnt think it would be livable even with the a/c on. But it is no sweat for the V/A! Pun intended!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, if you aren't far from the Atlanta area, a local, long time, Vintage Air dealer is Georgia Classics, 770-921-3244. Ask for the owner, Terry Lee, and he can save you some money on a Vintage Air setup for your car. He can even install it if you wish. Tell him Steve F sent you.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i bought the system from classic air, they make a dedicated system just for the 67 gto so thats a bonus, many tell me its the best, but i still have not fitted yet as install is quite a big job for a non ac car, planning doing it next april...