THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Default GM releases performance and priceing specs for 5.3 ecotec

Quote:
2014 Silverado Delivers Power, Efficiency and Value
General Motors

April 1, 2013

Best fuel economy of any V-8 pickup – EPA estimated 23 mpg highway
Better fuel economy than 2013 Ford EcoBoost V-6
Base prices carry over from current models
DETROIT – Chevrolet today announced initial pricing, performance data, and EPA fuel efficiency estimates for the 2014 Silverado 1500, raising the bar in the fiercely competitive light-duty pickup segment.

Manufacturer’s suggested retail prices for the new 2014 Silverado regular cab will start at $24,585, including a $995 destination freight charge, the same base price as the 2013 model. For that price, the 2014 Silverado regular cab, which starts production this summer, will include a number of major improvements:
A more powerful, more efficient EcoTec3 engine,
A six-speed automatic transmission,
A stronger, quieter cab with an all-new interior,
Four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife rotors
A new bed with standard box rail protectors and CornerStep bumper

The base starting prices for the Silverado crew cab, the first model to launch later this spring, and for the new double cab Silverado, which replaces the extended cab, also will be the same as for the corresponding 2013 models.

Buyers of all 2014 Silverados also will receive a standard scheduled maintenance program for two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. Up to four maintenance visits are included in the price of the vehicle, each one of which includes a regularly scheduled oil change, oil filter replacement, tire rotation and multi-point vehicle inspection, based on the schedule in the vehicle owner’s manual.

“The 2014 Silverado is new from hood to hitch,” said Alan Batey, vice president, U.S. sales and service. “When you combine the innovative features of the new Silverado with base pricing equivalent to 2013 models and standard scheduled maintenance, Silverado becomes a great choice for pickup customers, helping them save money when they buy – and when they drive.”

Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6

The 2014 Silverado launches later this spring with crew cab models equipped with the all-new 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V-8, which is expected to power three out of four Silverado 1500s.

Chevrolet today announced EPA estimates of 23 mpg highway for 2wd models, and 22 mpg highway for 4x4 models. That is better than any V-8 competitor, and beats the EPA estimates for the 2013 Ford EcoBoost turbocharged V-6 for both 2wd and 4x4 models.

Silverado’s 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V-8 is SAE certified at 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque, with more than 300 lb-ft of torque available from 2,000 to 5,600 rpm for responsive performance under a broad range of real-world conditions.

“Silverado’s available 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V-8 gives customers the best of both worlds,” said Jeff Luke, executive chief engineer for Silverado. “Customers get the proven power and dependability of a V-8 truck engine, with better fuel economy than a leading competitor’s smaller turbocharged V-6.”

“EcoTec3 builds on 58 years of V-8 experience and trillions of real-world miles,” said Luke. “The 2014 Silverado will give customers class-leading V-8 fuel efficiency and the peace of mind that comes with a proven V-8 design, a combination no competitor can match.”

Best available towing rating of any light-duty pickup

Demonstrating the capability of the 2014 Silverado and its 5.3-liter EcoTec3 engine, double cab 2WD models equipped with the available max towing package, available later this year, will have towing ratings of up to 11,500 pounds, more than any light duty pickup currently on the market.

To further save customers money and reduce inconvenience, Silverado’s 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V-8 is designed to operate on regular 87 octane gasoline even when towing or hauling.

Silverado will also offer later this year a standard 4.3-liter EcoTec3 V-6 that is expected to offer exceptional torque and towing capability for a standard V-6, and an all-new 6.2-liter EcoTec3 V-8, with even more power, torque, and towing capability than the 5.3-liter V-8. Final performance data and EPA estimates for these engines will be available in the coming months.

Seamlessly switch to four-cylinder operation

Silverado’s combination of capability and efficiency results in part from its EcoTec3 engines, which provide the proven power of a large-displacement truck engine when needed, then switch seamlessly to four-cylinder operation under lighter loads.

“In creating the 2014 Silverado 1500, we looked at a wide variety of powertrain configurations, and concluded that large-displacement truck engines could best provide the payload and towing capability that truck customers require, with the long-term dependability they expect,” said Luke.

“Silverado’s EcoTec3 technology eliminates the fuel economy penalty that often goes with rugged, high-torque truck engines. With our EcoTec3 engines, truck customers don’t have to do more with less – more work with smaller engines. They can keep the benefits of a larger displacement engine and still get better fuel efficiency.”

All three EcoTec engines feature direct fuel injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously variable valve timing, a combination not found in competitive trucks. The engines also use a compact overhead valve design and weight-saving components such as aluminum blocks and cylinder heads to reduce the mass of the engines for additional energy savings.

Other features that give the 2014 Silverado impressive capability include frames made from high-strength steel; rugged six-speed automatic transmissions; larger, stronger rear axles for V-8 models; and an updated suspension with two-stage multi-leaf rear springs.

Among the other updates for 2014 are a stronger, quieter cab; revised steering, suspension and brakes; and ingenious solutions for managing cargo in the bed.

The broadest portfolio, the right tools for the job

The 2014 Silverado 1500 crew cab will be joined later this year by a regular cab model and a new double cab model, which replaces the extended cab and features forward-hinged rear doors for easier access to the back seat. Also coming soon are new heavy duty pickups and an all-new midsize truck based on the successful global Colorado.

"Chevrolet will have the broadest portfolio in the business," said Luke. "No one will be better positioned to offer each and every truck customer the right tools for the job."

Additional Details and Data

2014 Silverado base MSRP:

Regular cab: $24,585
Double cab: $28,610
Crew cab: $32,710

Includes $995 destination freight charge. Excludes tax, title, license and optional equipment.

Additional Details and Data
2014 Sierra base MSRP:

Regular cab: $25,085
Double cab: $29,110
Crew cab: $33,210
Includes destination freight charge. Excludes tax, title, license and optional equipment.

Silverado 1500 5.3L EcoTec3 V-8

355 hp (265 kW) @ 5600 rpm
383 lb-ft of torque (518 Nm)@ 4100 rpm; more than 300 lb-ft of torque from 2,000 to 5,600 rpm
Maximum available towing rating: 11,500 pounds*
Maximum available payload rating: 2,102 pounds
EPA estimated fuel efficiency:
16 mpg city, 19 mpg combined, 23 mpg highway (2wd)
16 mpg city, 18 mpg combined, 22 mpg highway (4x4)

Horsepower and torque ratings are SAE certified using 87 octane regular gasoline.
huge increase in torque. this is what the 5.3 needed.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM

the new 5.3 has over 300 ft\lbs of torque at 2000 rpm. the 5.0 in comparison has 200 ft\lbs at 2000 rpm and doesn't even reach 300+ until 3500 rpm.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why don't you compare it to the 5.4? That's much closer to the same size and the motor they are trying to catch up with.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Why don't you compare it to the 5.4? That's much closer to the same size and the motor they are trying to catch up with.

yeah that 300 hp was insane. i'm surprised they quit building it.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They didn't quit building it, The quit putting it in the trucks.
This is the latest 5.0 specs I have. 2011 Ford F-Series, 360 hp (268 kW) @ 5500 rpm, 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) @ 4250 rpm
And they still have the 5.4 in the mutstang. 2011-2012 Ford Shelby GT500, 4-valve DOHC, Aluminum block, Supercharged, 550 hp (410 kW) and 510 lb·ft (691 N·m)

Last edited by sleepy; 04-01-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
They didn't quit building it, The quit putting it in the trucks.
that was for the best.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 2012 Ford ext cab 4x4 F-150 company truck with the 32v 5.0. It is a lil hotrod , but it is noisy in the head area. We have several of these trucks and they all have what sounds like lifter noise after being drove for extended periods of time during the day. Thats a little worrisome but thats why they have warranty, lol

Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM

They had to pay me to drive a ford truck too. Only way i ever would drive a ford. Really happy with my 2012 silverado.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

I'll believe the gas mileage when I drive it. I'm not getting what's advertised with the current 5.3. I'm getting 15mpg (barely) combined in my 2011 Sierra Ex Cab 5.3 4x4 driving it like an old lady.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
I'll believe the gas mileage when I drive it. I'm not getting what's advertised with the current 5.3. I'm getting 15mpg (barely) combined in my 2011 Sierra Ex Cab 5.3 4x4 driving it like an old lady.
My combined on my 2012 Ford is 16.2 and I DONT drive like an old lady unless she is late for Bingo!!!! LOL

Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigunde View Post
My combined on my 2012 Ford is 16.2 and I DONT drive like an old lady unless she is late for Bingo!!!! LOL
My Boss gets about 1 better than you with his 2012. Funny thing is he asks me to haul his wood trailers for him as he feels my truck tows it better after I let him compare the two.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM

I hear better mileage reports about the 5.0's than the ecoboosts.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
They had to pay me to drive a ford truck too. Only way i ever would drive a ford. Really happy with my 2012 silverado.
Chevys drive nicer like a car, you'll see more in suburbia land. But, go out to the country and you'll know why it's called Ford country; GM frames do not hold up when worked hard. I know from experience; we've bent a few.

Quote:
Since I moved to the county Ive gone from 21-22 to 18. But, thats with a heavy right foot and lots of stop & go traffic vs. all open highway. Kinda kicking around a 6.7 P-Stroke dually -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Chevys drive nicer like a car, you'll see more in suburbia land. But, go out to the country and you'll know why it's called Ford country; GM frames do not hold up when worked hard. I know from experience; we've bent a few.

Since I moved to the county Ive gone from 21-22 to 18. But, thats with a heavy right foot and lots of stop & go traffic vs. all open highway. Kinda kicking around a 6.7 P-Stroke dually -
Brad I like this lil hot rod. My personal vehicle is a Chevy 1500HD but I have no issues with this Ford other than that "tick" in the heads. Little embarrasing at the drive thrus but oh well. LOL

Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqjuCret8o

hmmmm

Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Brad I like this lil hot rod. My personal vehicle is a Chevy 1500HD but I have no issues with this Ford other than that "tick" in the heads. Little embarrasing at the drive thrus but oh well. LOL
What mileage did you notice the ticking. He's got a little over 10k on it now and I haven't noticed it. I'll try to listen for it tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
What mileage did you notice the ticking. He's got a little over 10k on it now and I haven't noticed it. I'll try to listen for it tomorrow.
Bob, it has done it since it was new. Its usually after long drives or after "stretching" its legs LOL. All our 5.0's are doing it. We have a couple of 2012 Ford F-150 shortbed reg cab with the v-6. Nothing from them at this time. Mine is the 4x4 ext cab and have to admit the little reg cab 2wd v-6 spanked my butt the other day. lol

Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Bob, it has done it since it was new. Its usually after long drives or after "stretching" its legs LOL. All our 5.0's are doing it. We have a couple of 2012 Ford F-150 shortbed reg cab with the v-6. Nothing from them at this time. Mine is the 4x4 ext cab and have to admit the little reg cab 2wd v-6 spanked my butt the other day. lol
Ok, I've never heard it after a long drive. He commutes 12 miles to work and I was in it for a couple of 20 mile drives but nothing longer.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Apparently a pushrod engine? Anybody know what "fully variable valve timing" amounts to? I'm assuming it's not direct-injection?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything one reads in a press release is gospel. There is ZERO marketing spin in these. <rolls eyes> LIke the Chevy, good - you can buy it. LIke the Ford, good - you can buy it. To each his own.

One interesting point to raise on this discussion is that Chevy has had YEARS to try to respond to Ford's advancements. They are now at the top of their curve while Ford is about to introduce it's new and improved versions of previous generation engines, including ecoboost. Competition makes all better.

I won't purchase again from Government Motors, however.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)