Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default Another 67 frame question

I did a search on this and that just baffled me more. I was always under the impression the 67 2 door and 4 door frames were a direct swap. Now I read that its only the 4 door post cars but some still say that's not true, im guessing that's from those who have not tried it? Is there a major difference in the hardtop 4 door frames (overall length or body mount location)? I have found a real nice 4 door donor car and it would be great if I could use the frame. Sorry if the topics been beaten into the ground already. Just trying to be sure before i pull the trigger on it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Another 67 frame question

I've never heard of a differance between 2 door and 4 door frames, but heres where you'll get a answer especially if I'm wrong. jd grim 66 gto

Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with JD on this. I've never heard tell of any difference between the 2 and 4 door frames.

And now that gets me wondering if the A-body wagon frame is different from either of them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

maybe the 4door frame is heavy then 2 door like the vert frame is boxed i dunno just a thought

Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

I cant for the life of me find where I read this info but it was something along the lines of the post cars body mount location under the rear seat being around 6 inches different from the location of the hardtop on the 4 door cars. The person had pics up on the forum it was on showing the fabrication he did to make it work. I may just take some measurements from mine to verify it. My current frame under my car is fine so it wont be a deal breaker but it would sweeten it up a bit if it were the same.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'64-'67 A bodies have the same length/type of frame, same wheelbase, but the 4 door cars (sedans and hardtops) have different body mount locations than a 2 door car. '68 thru '72 4 door A bodies have longer frames than the two door cars....by 4 inches, to accommodate their long wheelbase.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used a 4 dr frame and found no difference in any mounts the rear springs were heavier..

Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Senior Chief

Was the frame you used out of a 4 door post or 4 door hardtop? They say the post cars mount locations are the same, hardtops are different.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure what you mean all 4 doors were post cars.The only difference in 2 door and 4 door cars was from the rear door to the frt of the rear wheel that's why the seat bottoms won't work.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

There is 4 door post cars and hardtops, i always thought they were all post to. Here is a hardtop

http://www.gmphotostore.com/images/53217020_pr.jpg

Last edited by drailed; 04-17-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And I thought that all the 4 doors were hardtops. Goes to show you what we know.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dudemen,
I checked my handy dandy 67 Pontiac Service manual, (sometimes I read through this thing for ahhh, errrrr, entertainment) and it states:

There are 3 types of frames for Tempests.
1) Basic frame for sedans and stations wagons: Fully boxed front, open "C" in the middle extending to the rear hip area.
2) Convertible frame: Added metal thickness, and has boxed section front and center side sections, as well as an additional inner side bar (boxed) behind the rear hip area.
3) 4 door hardtop frame: This is similar to the standard frame, but it features additional metal thickness.

If I had to guess, the 4 door hardtop frame uses the convertible stampings except it does not have any of the boxing plates the convertible frame uses. It's like a hybrid frame.

The frame charts show that all 2 door and 4 door cars, sedans and hardtops, used the same frame mount locations.

As for swapping frames, many A-body frames will work, but some will require a bit more work....like cutting off column shifter brackets, etc, etc. You probably don't want an A body Olds frames 65-67 because they used different frame horns that widened out to accommodate a crossflow radiator. Also, Chevelle/malibu frames are 3 inches shorter behind the rear wheels, but you could cut it up and use the front sections. But Chevy station wagon frames would work, as well as El Camino frames, which both have the longer rear overhang like Tempest/Lemans/GTO/skylark and the elky frames are boxed as well, like a convertible. Another fun fact: Chevy did not use the #1 body bolts on their chevelle malibu cars; They started with the number 2 mount. Presumably because chevy was more of the thrifty "value" car, and two less body mounts is cheaper gosh darnit.

Incidentally, there is one error that I can see in the factory service manual. It states that AO Smith was the only maker of convertible frames. But I have a GTO with a Parrish Pressed Steel frame. (It is VIN number matching) This "error" just might be from omission; it might only be referring to Pontiac (big cars). Through out the manual, they switch back and forth from describing Pontiacs and Tempests. I think this led to inevitable omissions and very minor errors depending on what car info you are looking for in that manual.

Okay. That's it for my arcane engineer-like research.

Dave.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for clearing that up for us! If the frame on this donor car im looking at is the same it would be an added bonus.

Last edited by drailed; 04-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.