THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Surround Sound or Soundbar?

Working on the man cave and I'm at the point I need to start thinking about wires behind the walls before drywall goes on.

Are soundbars any good? They seem to be the new and upcoming thing and they certainly would make running wires easy.

Or are they crap?

Not looking for anything crazy or high end. Probably a simple 5 speaker system (plus sub) for under $500 would more than suffice for my needs.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My daughter has one and it sounds decent but nothing like a good surround sound system that should be in any man cave.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Run the wires for the speakers, you don't have to use them. Also put some outlets high up on the wall for neon signs, extra TV's or projector.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Soundbars work well in rentals and apartments where you can't access the walls for wiring.

Nothing will beat a quality surround sound system. If you own the house run the wires, you'll be glad you did.

Check out craigslist, you can pick up some great deals on used equipment.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree... surround sound is the best. Soundbars are mainly for TVs.

Plan where you want the SS speakers, and contingency install for moving things around later on. Run the wiring for both and you should be good to go.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

Got a surround bar in my wood shop as it makes a nice radio and set up for my I phone. Run the tv through it as well. Works pretty good as a stereo and better than the tv speakers but nowhere close to a surround system. Got an all in one surround sound and blu ray set up under my covered porch and its suprisingly good for 150. Good enough it fills the pool area with music when I want.

I think you'll be much happier with a low end surround sound system versus any sound bar.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 TA View Post
I think you'll be much happier with a low end surround sound system versus any sound bar.
I think I will too. So a surround system it will be.

Next question:

I've seen the all-in-one systems that have the Blu-Ray player as it's "controlling unit" if you will, and I've seen the ones that have a more traditional receiver/amp as the "controlling unit".

What's the main difference between the two types and why should I choose one over the other?

Thanks to all for the replies.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM

I love the Bose speakers. This is one of the setups I have. Its right around your price range. Also Best Buy has some good finance, no interest for 6 months or more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose%26%...&skuId=9480411

Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bose has done a fantastic job with their advertising and factory stores convincing people that they have a superior product. I have a Bose system in my Buick Enclave and a friend has a Bose sound bar with his home theater system. People, especially women, are astounded at the sound from the tiny speaker boxes--They sound so much better than TV speakers that most are accustomed to hearing.

The reason Bose does not sell their speakers in stores that sell competitive brands is fairly simple. Bose systems sound terrible when compared "A-B" with competitively priced speakers. Even their more expensive systems in the $700-$3,500 range produce no bass below about 45 Hz, so movies with really low frequency bass content (or music) sound wimpy compared to other brand speakers in the same price range.

If it's possible, compare the sound of a Definitive Technology, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, Polk, or any reputable brand with the Bose. Dollar for dollar, the others easily beat Bose, especially with low frequencies, which are so important for realism when watching a movie.

Here are a couple of articles describing the problems with Bose systems:

http://www.liquidtheater.com/editorial_56.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5122759AA2x0Bx

In my Buick Enclave with factory Bose speakers and factory DVD player, the speakers sound absolutely terrible. The only place they excel is with AM talk radio since they produce mostly midrange sound--very little bass or treble. The sound quality from the factory radio in my '95 Buick Roadmaster outdoes the Enclave Bose in every respect.

The bottom line, for home use, is that any of the "theaters in a box" systems sound terrible. They are a step above the speakers built into TV's, but nowhere near the sound quality of separate components--regardless of what Bose marketing says.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Senior Chief

I have a new Samsung 280w soundbar/sub for my living room TV that's used mainly for "just" for TV shows, news etc...because the super slim LED/LCD TV's have crappy rear facing speakers with no power.

No comparison to my 5.1 surround sound in my basement theater room with a Onkyo amp and a 300w powered sub, it shakes things upstairs even on low volume!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
B

The reason Bose does not sell their speakers in stores that sell competitive brands is fairly simple. Bose systems sound terrible when compared "A-B" with competitively priced speakers. Even their more expensive systems in the $700-$3,500 range produce no bass below about 45 Hz, so movies with really low frequency bass content (or music) sound wimpy compared to other brand speakers in the same price range.
Sooooo true!!
I bought a Bose speaker system years ago (15) that came with the unpowered subwoofer. I was not happy at all with the sound (bass wise) until I added a powered subwoofer and even then, I was only content. The Bose speakers are nice because of the size and you can easily hide them, plus they don't stand out when mounted on the wall in a vaulted ceiling.
One thing with the Bose, if you want the best sound out of them, read the boring manual that comes with them. You must "bounce" them of a wall, you would be surprised how much different the sound quality is coming straight out of the speaker compared to aiming them of an adjacent wall. Its night and day.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dick,
It's true, those old Roadmaster "Concert Sound II" systems were pretty damn good. Mine are cassette.

My Dad's '97 Aurora had a supposedly "Delco-Bose" awesome system from the factory, but when I pulled everything out the word "Bose" was nowhere to be found on any component.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not interested in taking out a second mortgage or selling my first born for top o' the line speakers.

Besides, I've attended way too many heavy metal concerts in my day. My ears could not possibly tell the difference between a $50 speaker and a $1000 one any more.

A home theater in a box is likely where I'll go.

I've seen the all-in-one systems that have the Blu-Ray player as it's "controlling unit" if you will, and I've seen the ones that have a more traditional receiver/amp as the "controlling unit".

What's the main difference between the two types and why should I choose one over the other?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
Not interested in taking out a second mortgage or selling my first born for top o' the line speakers.

Besides, I've attended way too many heavy metal concerts in my day. My ears could not possibly tell the difference between a $50 speaker and a $1000 one any more.

A home theater in a box is likely where I'll go.

Excluding my Samsung soundbar & sub on the one TV....
To tell you the truth I never paid much attention to the "home theatre in a box" stuff because I bought the home theatre amps I liked then I bought speakers I liked. I have a mixture of JBL & Wharfedale speakers.
You should go someplace that has them set up and just listen to all of them in your price range, crank 'em up! That's pretty much what I do, BestBuy, Visions, Costco...etc....
I prefer the stand alone amp/receivers because they usually have higher clean power, more HDMI input-outputs but I also paid more for each of my receivers than your whole $500 buget. Harmon Kardon and Onkyo have nice high current amps, check for a sale??

Last edited by PONTIAC-ONE; 09-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Senior Chief

If you get the all in one, you have less components to take up shelf space. Most times the all in one is going to be cheaper. If the DVD or stereo goes out, your kinda stuck. My all in one is limited in inputs, but all I wanted to run on it was the DVD and the tv. If you plan on running more, you might not have the inputs.

For the family, room it is a separate component system and picking components as I go.

I'd say it depends on your needs. Pleased with both styles for the respective areas.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOMazz View Post
I love the Bose speakers. This is one of the setups I have. Its right around your price range. Also Best Buy has some good finance, no interest for 6 months or more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose%26%...&skuId=9480411
Costco has it for $100 less. I just looked at it today.

I had this same dilemma a year ago when we bought our Samsung 60". Great TV but tin can sound from the built in speakers. Sound bars were built just for that. The new TV's are so thin, the speaker sound quality goes to away. Thats why sound bars are so popular.

I looked at both a sound bar for ht TV and a sound system in a box. I wasnt happy with the sound system in a box and bought a Sony sound bar that gets pretty decent sound. Added to a TV that it.

Are you hooking this to a TV or just looking for a source for music?

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 09-05-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM

69goatboy, I have the all in one. Yes, you are limited to the amount of HDMI inputs and I thought that was a killer for the deal, but you just have to be a little creative. I have a PS2, PS3, cable box, and the surround sound all hooked up and no problems. Use your TV as the hub. Mine has 3 HDMI inputs, 3RCA inputs, and 2 Component inputs. Hooking everything up to the tv I ran the optic sound to the surround sound from the tv. So, I use the all in one remote to switch between inputs on the tv, turned off the tv speakers, and the surround system just pumps out whet the tv sends it. The reason I went with the Sony surround with DVD instead of Blueray is that I have a PS3 that plays blueray. I don't need another one. This is what I have http://store.sony.com/p/DAV-DZ170/en/p/DAVDZ170 and was much cheaper than your 500 pricepoint. It does a pretty good job as a cheap surround sound.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Are you hooking this to a TV or just looking for a source for music?
It'll be hooked up to a TV. Probably no more adders than a BR player, a game console (currently have an XBox 360), and an iPod hookup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rutledge View Post
69goatboy, I have the all in one. Yes, you are limited to the amount of HDMI inputs and I thought that was a killer for the deal, but you just have to be a little creative. I have a PS2, PS3, cable box, and the surround sound all hooked up and no problems. Use your TV as the hub. Mine has 3 HDMI inputs, 3RCA inputs, and 2 Component inputs. Hooking everything up to the tv I ran the optic sound to the surround sound from the tv. So, I use the all in one remote to switch between inputs on the tv, turned off the tv speakers, and the surround system just pumps out whet the tv sends it. The reason I went with the Sony surround with DVD instead of Blueray is that I have a PS3 that plays blueray. I don't need another one. This is what I have http://store.sony.com/p/DAV-DZ170/en/p/DAVDZ170 and was much cheaper than your 500 pricepoint. It does a pretty good job as a cheap surround sound.
Interesting that the TV is the hub. I sort of thought the receiver would be the hub. But it's been forever since I've set one of these up.
That Sony package is just about what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 AM

I thought the same thing until a friend of mine told me to just use the tv as the hub since it has so many inputs. It works well, just use the tv's menu to flip between inputs.