THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Looks like the Australians got it right!

Ian Rutherford Plimer is an Australian geologist, professor emeritus of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne , professor of mining geology at the University of Adelaide , and the director of multiple mineral exploration and mining companies. He has published 130 scientific papers, six books and edited the Encyclopedia of Geology.

Born
12 February 1946 (age 67)
Residence
Australia
Nationality
Australian
Fields
Earth Science, Geology, Mining Engineering
Institutions
University of New England,University of Newcastle,University of Melbourne,University of Adelaide
Alma mater
University of New South Wales,Macquarie University
Thesis
The pipe deposits of tungsten-molybdenum-bismuth in eastern Australia (1976)
Notable awards
Eureka Prize (1995, 2002),Centenary Medal (2003), Clarke Medal (2004)

Born
12 February 1946 (age 67)
Residence
Australia
Nationality
Australian
Fields
Earth Science, Geology, Mining Engineering
Institutions
University of New England,University of Newcastle,University of Melbourne,University of Adelaide
Alma mater
University of New South Wales,Macquarie University
Thesis
The pipe deposits of tungsten-molybdenum-bismuth in eastern Australia (1976)
Notable awards
Eureka Prize (1995, 2002),Centenary Medal (2003), Clarke Medal (2004)

Where Does the Carbon Dioxide Really Come From?
Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better!
If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.

PLIMER: "Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland . Since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course, you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life. I know....it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kids "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cent light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs.....well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes, FOUR DAYS - by that volcano in Iceland has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud at any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its years on earth.

Yes, folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over One year - think about it.

Of course, I shouldn't spoil this 'touchy-feely tree-hugging' moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keeps happening despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.
And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud, but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you, on the basis of the bogus 'human-caused' climate-change scenario.
Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention 'Global Warming'
Anymore, but just 'Climate Change' - you know why?
It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And, just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer.
It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.
But, hey, relax......give the world a hug and have a nice day!"

Thought you would all like something that makes sense.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, very interesting. Its always good to get both sides of the story. Its a shame you usually don't get all the facts these days. Environmental issues are really hitting close to home for me as I work in a coal fired powerplant.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reducing emissions is a good thing, reducing energy usage is also, no sense in being wasteful.

Inventing a global "crisis" so the gubment can legislate and regulate more and get into your pockets more is stupid.

I love when the gubment BS'es above reducing carbon emissions....breathing, burning anything with carbon content creates carbon dioxide...but they all get on the bandwagon without any thought applied.

george

Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Reducing emissions is a good thing, reducing energy usage is also, no sense in being wasteful.

Inventing a global "crisis" so the gubment can legislate and regulate more and get into your pockets more is stupid.

I love when the gubment BS'es above reducing carbon emissions....breathing, burning anything with carbon content creates carbon dioxide...but they all get on the bandwagon without any thought applied.

george
Never met one that wasn't try'n to figure how to make $ off of others for do'n nothing more then shaking hands.
I can say that cause one of my best friends makes $16k a yr as a town councilman.
Go's to least 10 ball games/nascar races a yr for free.
That's on top of working for the rail road(government job) for a living.
Ya know, kinda makes me look bad, but where on fire dept together long before that. Plus get to go sometimes

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM

Australia just had a their elections and booted out the party that introduced a so called "carbon tax" which we apparently had to have to save the world. Now I am not saving this was the only reason they got the the chop but I am sure it had a part considering the new party was promising to get rid of this tax. We will see if they keep their promise though.
It has got to the stage that I can't run my home heating system which is an in slab electric heating set up, (basically resitance wire running up and down in my concrete floor slab. This in part was due to the electricity price increase from these environmental taxes. Mind you when I built the house 15 years ago this was the most cost effective method of heating.
We now use the wood burning heater (pot belly type) that I originally had fitted for those isolated cold snaps. I can't help but wonder if all that smoke coming out of my chimmney is better for the environment. Yes, I do understand that the electricity that I would have used for my slab heater comes from a power station that is also billowing smoke but I still wonder which is worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to MYGOAT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

*cough*

...Gas studies at volcanoes worldwide have helped volcanologists tally up a global volcanic CO2 budget in the same way that nations around the globe have cooperated to determine how much CO2 is released by human activity through the burning of fossil fuels. Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.

This seems like a huge amount of CO2, but a visit to the U.S. Department of Energy's Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) website (http://cdiac.ornl.gov/) helps anyone armed with a handheld calculator and a high school chemistry text put the volcanic CO2 tally into perspective. Because while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value.

source: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/.../07_02_15.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOAT View Post
Yes, I do understand that the electricity that I would have used for my slab heater comes from a power station that is also billowing smoke but I still wonder which is worse.
If your electricity is produced from coal it probably has an electrostatic precipitator which removes most of the particulates that your wood burner does NOT.

An electrostatic precipitator, or electrostatic air cleaner is a particulate collection device that removes particles from a flowing gas (such as air) using the force of an induced electrostatic charge. Electrostatic precipitators are highly efficient filtration devices that minimally impede the flow of gases through the device, and can easily remove fine particulate matter such as dust and smoke from the air stream.

I'm sorry but I can't believe statistics that government funded personal gather to self perpetuate their jobs. They tend to skew and eliminate the facts that jeopardize their jobs.

Last edited by arbys; 09-18-2013 at 07:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plimer is a quack with made up statistics that have failed under the lightest of scrutiny.

Do a quick google before you post forwarded e-mails, that way you won't embarrass yourself.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

arbys, actually I believe what Scarebird posted and what Mr. Plimer says are not contradictory.

Mr. Plimer is saying that the reduction in CO2 emissions resulting from ALL the efforts of the human induced global warming alarmists over a period of 5 years was wiped out by the eruptions from a single volcano in just 4 days.

This claim is NOT refuted by an analysis showing that total volcanic CO2 emissions is dwarfed by total CO2 emissions from humans burning fossil fuels. It just means ALL the efforts to reduce CO2 emissions is overwhelmingly insignificant to the total emissions, from all natural sources and as a result of human endeavors.

If humans stopped ALL burning of fossil fuels (for energy, transport, cement production, etc.) it would hardly impact total CO2 emissions a whit. Natural CO2 emissions exceed 400 gigatonnes. You can toss around these statistical nos. all you want, taken out of context, they serve only to obfuscate.

The basic questions remain. Is there really an increase in atmospheric CO2 level and if so, does it have a substantive effect on climate? And if it does have a substantive effect on climate, is that effect good, bad, or indifferent to humans? And if the effect is bad, will the solution(s) (ie, reducing the human induced emission of CO2) be good, bad, or indifferent to humans?

These are not simple questions. Enslaving people by removing their freedoms is not something I favor. Using tax policy (carbon tax) to enslave people is bad government.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
These are not simple questions. Enslaving people by removing their freedoms is not something I favor. Using tax policy (carbon tax) to enslave people is bad government.
People are so quick to accept statistics given by our government. What I posted was hopefully to counterbalance these views.

To the naysayers, just go on believing everything what the government gives you and don't question their motives.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BS internet post that someone just tied to some one's name. I'm a geologist too, and industrially we pump out a couple orders of magnitudes more CO2 than all the volcano's combined.

That being said, volcano's are a solid anti-global warming force as the sulfates and particulates that they pour into the atmosphere cool the Earth, substantially when the eruption is large enough. Lots of famines and years without a summer have happened in recorded history that can be tied to volcanic eruptions. One thing is for sure, with the number of people on Earth right now we cannot afford a cool down that causes crop failures. Global warming is an infrastructure cost issue, cool downs will cause mass death from starvation first followed by the march of unstoppable glaciers scraping the landscape clean if the cold is prolonged.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSilverBuick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Politicians LOVE this "man made climate change" idea because it basically lets them tax the hell out of something without having to show any result.....lefties adopted it because they love the idea of wealth redistribution.
Hell, even the guy who originally came up with the idea many years back recanted and said it was basically a ploy for government funding.
I don't deny the climate is changing....it always has. I deny the idea that mankind is the cause and that raising my electricity bill will somehow "fix" a non existent problem.
I see the IPCC is delaying their latest bogus report.....seems they have to try and explain some inconvenient facts...like the climate not doing what they predicted, and the sea ice in the north returning in huge % when it was supposed to have disappeared....it appears they really don't understand the whys and whats of the climate system.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of years ago it was discovered that some data that was "inconvenient' for the global change research was left out of the compilation of the report. After that, and my own personal opinion, I have very little respect for the global warming/change people.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Suspended

Exclamation Nature Trumps All - including man kind's impact IMO

Ex: Year without a Summer: 1816

But certainly Do NOT take my word for it!

http://ezinearticles.com/?In-the-Yea...mer&id=4236245

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0225161422.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

http://www.amazon.com/The-Year-Witho.../dp/031267645X

http://history1800s.about.com/od/cri...t-A-Summer.htm

http://www.volcanolive.com/year.html

So, who among you controls Sun Spot and Vocanic activities? Anyone else notice the constant World Wide Seismic Tremor and Volcanic activities for the past several yrs?

Man made? Doubtful.

Point being; a meteor, earthquake, solar flare, tsunami, etc. can and will simply wipe and flush "pesky" humans from the face of the planet @ any given moment...

Remember The Dinosaurs?!!!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets just put a catalytic converter on the volcanos and be done with it....

Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
People are so quick to accept statistics given by our government. What I posted was hopefully to counterbalance these views.

To the naysayers, just go on believing everything what the government gives you and don't question their motives.
How naive can you be to think there isn't an equally large and better financed organization motivated by corporate money on the other side. Maybe if you left Richland every once & a while you would have a better idea.

How much of this do you think the planet can possibly take without having a negative effect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0047.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	337236   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	337237  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
How naive can you be to think there isn't an equally large and better financed organization motivated by corporate money on the other side. Maybe if you left Richland every once & a while you would have a better idea.

How much of this do you think the planet can possibly take without having a negative effect?

Although I agree pollution IS a problem, why not show a picture of 300,000 acres of forest/brush fire, or the smoke plum from an active volcano, or the methane released from the sea bed?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
How naive can you be to think there isn't an equally large and better financed organization motivated by corporate money on the other side.

The coal that your leader doesn't want to burn in the US with electrostatic precipitators will then go to China or India where they will burn it with NO regard for the environment. OK, I've got the picture.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Wink

Notice Al Gore and those w simular Agenda 21 proponents love to spew how "we" should live "to save the planet" while @ same time "they" travel across the planet in Private Jets, Live in Natural Resource Gobbling Mansions, etc?

Link http://www.infowars.com/al-gore-agen...ation-control/

Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm surprised that any thinking person would take Al Gore seriously.