Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Seat belt provisions in a '60 Catalina?

I'm about to order and install seat belts in my '60 Catalina and I don't remember there being any factory-mounted nuts for either front or back seat belts. I'm working on the car while it's on the trailer, so I can't get under it easily to check for mounting places and I've got the carpet installed, too. Is it possible there are studs under there or should I just go ahead and drill new holes? Anyone know offhand?

Thanks for any info on this.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are no provisions for seat belts from the factory in a 1960 Pontiac.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By 61 there were small dimples in the floor pan where the factory thought belts should be attached. Maybe there were in 60 also. Look close.

The Following User Says Thank You to pfilean For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim. You probably already know this but if you install belt mounts, be sure to double wall the floor to help strengthen the mounting area. The factory also did this. Just an FYI. I would add at least an 8X8 inch square, contoured to the floor, piece.

Mark L

Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
By 61 there were small dimples in the floor pan where the factory thought belts should be attached. Maybe there were in 60 also. Look close.
I was going to say the same thing. Look closely at the floor, if there are dimples they're pretty small. I used seat belts from http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/ in my '61 Bonneville, they came with big washers to reinforce the floor where the bolts go through.

I posted the instructions for installing seat belts in a 1961 car here: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=533832 The floorpans are different than in a 1960 but it will give you a general idea of where to look.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies, guys. They were all helpful. I guess I'll pull the carpet out and look real close. The seats aren't in yet, which will make it a little easier.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Belts

Be careful when ordering belt lengths , i have just put belts in a 60 Catalina and 60 Bonneville . Both are 12 inch's from the floor to the front seat ,then belt has to go through the seat , another 6 inch's at least and you then need some belt grab to buckle up . if it is a bench seat you will need to dismantle the seat to get the belt through . on the floor there was no factory marks to indicate where the belts should go ,
In the back seat it is best to have the seat base in position to drill holes as it is easy to get the holes in the wrong spot . and if you drill through from inside the car which is the easy way ,you may find that the frame is not far from the floor pan so it is not easy to fit the washers and nuts .

goodluck ,, Kel.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigkel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Default belts

Here are a couple of photos of the belts in the 60 Bonneville.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the pictures and the posts, bigkel. They'll be a big help. I've been putting this off, because we've been involved in installing the door panels. I was figuring I would have to do some measuring to get the right belt lengths. One place I've seen has at least two lengths: 60" and 74", with the fixed side at 20 or 34" and the adjustable side 40". Did you end up getting shorter belts for the back seats?

We plan to only put in four sets. You have the same color carpet as we're using, it looks like. My wife is in the process of making custom covers for the seats.

Jim

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Default belts .

You may not have noticed but i live in Australia and had to fit those Australian made belts it the Bonneville to get it engineered ($400 ) then roadworthy cert ($100) then registered ($1000 for full rego , 200 for historic limited rego ) anyway we drove the Bonneville from Long island NY to LA (then shipped to AU )Last year also going to the POCI convention at Chicago ,
The Aust suppliers said that they know all about Pontiacs and sent a full set of color coded belts ($660 ) . to make a loooong story short , when the car got on the road i found that 7 year old grand son would not fit in the middle seat belts , so i then checked out all the others and most were to short . had to send them back for longer belts and ,dismantle the interior again and fit them , the Bonneville is in storage at the moment so i cannot measure the belts in that . The Catalina is out on the back shed but i put USA made belts in that as it was already registered and on the road before the government tightened up the rules a few years back ,
With the back seat belt photo (bonneville ) ,those belts are in the wrong place , they have to go up or down to come out through seat gap ( cannot remember which ) that is why you must have the seat base in position when marking holes .
You can get more length out of your front belts by mounting them up the side of the tail shaft hump in the floor . sorry i cannot give you any lengths/size . i would advise to get longer than you think . or purchase from some one that DOES know what they are talking about . i had to put steel plates on every bolts under the floor 3" x 2" x 1 eighth thick .
good luck again ,, kel.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yikes!!! You really have the rules there. I sold a Ford Model A highboy roadster to a guy here in Tucson and he later married an Australian woman and went through hell getting the car shipped down there. He even had to put fenders on it to drive it there, but somehow avoided having to make it right-hand drive.

Thanks again for all the information and the tips on placement. We're getting ready to install the seats soon, so I'll measure as I go along. As you mentioned, I'm sure the X-frame will complicate things.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkel View Post
You may not have noticed but i live in Australia and had to fit those Australian made belts it the Bonneville to get it engineered ($400 ) then roadworthy cert ($100) then registered ($1000 for full rego , 200 for historic limited rego ) anyway we drove the Bonneville from Long island NY to LA (then shipped to AU )Last year also going to the POCI convention at Chicago ,
The Aust suppliers said that they know all about Pontiacs and sent a full set of color coded belts ($660 ) . to make a loooong story short , when the car got on the road i found that 7 year old grand son would not fit in the middle seat belts , so i then checked out all the others and most were to short . had to send them back for longer belts and ,dismantle the interior again and fit them , the Bonneville is in storage at the moment so i cannot measure the belts in that . The Catalina is out on the back shed but i put USA made belts in that as it was already registered and on the road before the government tightened up the rules a few years back ,
With the back seat belt photo (bonneville ) ,those belts are in the wrong place , they have to go up or down to come out through seat gap ( cannot remember which ) that is why you must have the seat base in position when marking holes .
You can get more length out of your front belts by mounting them up the side of the tail shaft hump in the floor . sorry i cannot give you any lengths/size . i would advise to get longer than you think . or purchase from some one that DOES know what they are talking about . i had to put steel plates on every bolts under the floor 3" x 2" x 1 eighth thick .
good luck again ,, kel.

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 AM

Default belts .

Is your front seat a bench .. ?? , if so do not fit seat into the car until you have the belts through it , top of seat has to come away from the bottom section to get belts through . if it is a split bench there are no problems .
left hand drive registration it allowed in all states here now ,but the car has to be 30 years old to get it , $3500 to get the car to Australia plus 10% tax on cost of the car and shipping .

cheers Kel.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkel View Post
Is your front seat a bench .. ??.... if it is a split bench there are no problems .
l

cheers Kel.
It is a split bench seat (2 dr. HT)

Jim