Old 11-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Exploding seat belt buckle repair parts

Just an FYI for those of you (us) that are looking for spare parts for the exploding buckles. Besides the rest of GM using these badly designed buckles in late 1972 and 1973, Ford used them, too. It seems you can find non-busted Ford units a lot easier than Pontiac ones.

I just picked up this Ford NOS baby seat extender and though the buckle has an extra 1/4 inch of a rounded lip (probably to prevent pinching delicate baby customer legs), the plastic top section that snaps into the buckle is exactly the same, as is the male end.

One other thing to note: I checked all of my belts on the 18,000 miles car and one had a partially broken tab inside. The tab is supposed to be "L" shaped but the edge that makes it an "L" instead of an "I" was chipped off. I used a couple clothes pins to hold the face plate down and then I used my trusty heat gun to apply a couple seconds of heat into the mouth of the buckle. I then used a small pick and bent the "I" over so it engaged the original spot where the "L" engaged. The repair worked great.

I would add that if I need to use the parts off the kiddie seat buckle I will use the same heat method to gently warm the tabs so they can be disengaged from the buckle. This way I won't break them off trying to pry the lid off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So,you are saying that Ford drivers were/are LESS likely to use the seatbelts?

If memory serves....that Ford unit is more similar to the 74 GM version...seems to me they changed them up a bit the next year...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am saying that the standard 1973 Ford buckle is the same buckle as the 1973 GM buckle. The same manufacturer made them for everyone who wanted them that year. The example I bought just so happens to be the belt extension so it has that deeper inlet but the regular Ford belt buckles are the same as the units GM used.

But yes maybe it is due to the fact that Ford drivers didn't use their belts as often as GM drivers.

Last edited by njsteve; 11-16-2013 at 05:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have that same style in GM, and they had dates in 75 so I know the "thick lip" versions did show up later than 73 in some GM vehicles. That said the plastic button part is the same brittle plastic. If it was made in nylon, problem wouldn't be so bad, but as been mentioned before they can also hang up and not release.
Good call on the FOMOCO stuff though... !
My old ( 2008) JD backhoe on my tractor had a few FORD parts on it.. from the factory

Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, I just swapped out a GM blue button on one today. I had a broken one and practiced prying the plastic surround off on it. Popped off the good surround and swapped buttons. It can be done.....just have to be careful. I didn't use heat....probably would have helped some, but I got it done.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have popped several out also, never used heat. Will have to try that.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For example, here is a set on ebay right now out of a 1973 Mustang:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-MUSTANG...b68ae1&vxp=mtr

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have repaired some of these exploding buckets with gray 2-part 3M epoxy. Did some well over a decade ago and haven't had a problem since.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dens71TA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

I just paid way too much on epay for a set of exploding buckles (female ends only). Now I can finally mount the correct seat and shoulder belts in my 72 TA.

Can anyone post a picture of the hardware used to hang the shoulder belts along the roof when not in use? This is for the late 72 and 73 style shoulder belts (standard belts not deluxe). Thanks.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a later 72 style installed..

Last edited by Formulabruce; 02-03-2014 at 09:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you FormulaBruce. However it is my understanding that those were used either with deluxe interior or deluxe seat belts but not with standard interior and standard belts as is the case with my 72 TA. Am I wrong about that?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabob View Post
Thank you FormulaBruce. However it is my understanding that those were used either with deluxe interior or deluxe seat belts but not with standard interior and standard belts as is the case with my 72 TA. Am I wrong about that?
The "exploding belts" Shoulder strap, we will call a "male", has a "knob" on it, which joins it with lap belt. All shoulder straps of this design in '72 and 3 has this type of "holder" with a hole in the end for the "knob". ( see pics above) These plastic holders have nubs that fit in slots in the metal side headliner holders, so the metal trim on both sides in late 72 and 73 are unique.
If you have exploding belts, this is what you use.. There's more pics and info on here, you may want to do a search up top on right of the 70-73 tech section for more pics and info..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

I don't suppose these holders are repopped?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NO, but they are in a spot that is pretty protected in parts cars, throw a pic in the wanted parts section..I used to have a spare set up ( 4 pcs) . If I find any more Ill let ya know

Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. I saw one on epay the other day. Are they specific to each side? (I would think they would have to be).

Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going from memory here, but I believe they are specific to each year too. From the side facing out they look the same, but the way they attach to the headliner is different. I believe the later style hardboard headliners used some of the white nylon push-in style mounting hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD73 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Senior Chief

Great! More year specific parts I need to find.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabob View Post
Thanks. I saw one on epay the other day. Are they specific to each side? (I would think they would have to be).
Look at the pics above, youll see a big letter on the inside of each telling which side its for

Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the help.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

I just bought one set and one extra for the drivers side. I'll offer the one I don't use for sale here in case someone needs it. Hopefully I am done buying seat belt parts for awhile.